• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Tales of a Musician - I trust people less and less with each passing DM

Andrew Milner

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    andreilucianmoraru.com
    I'm back with another tale...

My enthusiasm for writing music is still there, even after all these years. Especially this year when I am creating a Doom-inspired album in honor of Doom turning 30 years old. And yes, I am talking inspired by both the original OST and Mick Gordon :LOL:.

I've even grown some enthusiasm for social media. More in the sense that I know it is something that is needed in order to grow as an artist.

But my patience and trust are growing smaller with each DM I receive. I've had an Instagram account for about 3 years (feel free to follow me @andrewmilnermusic). And in those 3 years, I have never received a genuine DM from anyone outside my follower list. Not once. The only things I receive are questionable offers for even more questionable services and people masquerading as journalists looking for a quick buck off of unsuspecting people.

That is all, I'm gonna go rage now.

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    The Doom album sounds amazing man!

Yeah socials can be a minefield for sure. A straightforward way to get your music in front of Genuine 'possible fans' could be to utilise Instagram's paid targeted ads service.

The idea (I think) is that you give Instagram certain parameters of which exact type of user you think would enjoy your content and the Ad will only be put in front of those specific users through Reels or while scrolling.

I've only ever looked at Facebook ads and you can be *creepily* specific with the user type (Specific areas, political leaning, Relationship/Marital status, even Salary ammount) but it can be as simple as targeting fans of a specific band or genre to get your content in front of people willing to give it a chance 👌

The ad it's self could be a video of you performing or even a recording it's self with a graphic/video.

Here's a guide that may be able to help👉

Last edited:

Andrew Milner

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    andreilucianmoraru.com
    The Doom album sounds amazing man!

Yeah socials can be a minefield for sure. A straightforward way to get your music in front of Genuine 'possible fans' could be to utilise Instagram's paid targeted ads service.

The idea (I think) is that you give Instagram certain parameters of which exact type of user you think would enjoy your content and the Ad will only be put in front of those specific users through Reels or while scrolling.

I've only ever looked at Facebook ads and you can be *creepily* specific with the user type (Specific areas, political leaning, Relationship/Marital status, even Salary ammount) but it can be as simple as targeting fans of a specific band or genre to get your content in front of people willing to give it a chance 👌

The ad it's self could be a video of you performing or even a recording it's self with a graphic/video.

Here's a guide that may be able to help👉
    Yeah, I tried some ads in the past, don't really have a lot of cash for them, but yeah :LOL: . The trick for these is to garner "something of value", which I am finally working on because I finally have some ideas for it...

Reactions: Ed Seith