• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Tapping issues

Dan Shipway

Slim Shady
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Hey all, I am currently attempting to learn the stage as I want to improve my tapping. I have got the basics but the one thing i cant seem to do is the 9-11-16 pattern at the start. I cant seem to hammer pull off the 11 and 16 at the same time to return to the 9. I end up playing 9-11-16-11-9 instead of 9-11-16 9-11-16. Does anyone have advice on how to do it. I also get lots of string noise from other strings so what is he best way to eliminate this?

Kfir Yaakovi

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Israel
    It is better if we could have a video of you playing it to see what you are doing wrong.
    I just started to learn tapping too, so what I will say is just my understanding, but I can be wrong.
    It sounds that you are either releasing 16 too early or 11 too slowly. When you tap, you not only need to press the string but when you release it you are pulling it up/down to your shoulder/leg to kinda half-pick it again so the next note will have the same volume. this should give you enough time to release the 11 finger
    My advice is to go slow, make sure every note is heard and sounds the same, then go up the speed until you can make it full speed and sound clean
    Regarding the noise – you should mute the strings you don’t play, with your right hand / left hand / both.

This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by  Kfir Yaakovi.

D K

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    Belgium
    I remember having the same problem when I first started to learn tapping. The key to do this is to take off your finger from the 11th fret before you pull off from 16 to 9. This will be quite hard to do in the beginning and it will feel awkward, but once muscle memory kicks in it will become quite easy to do. And of course like with everything you have to start slowly and gradually build up speed.

Andrew Saunders

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    When i was learning it i started it slow and just did the pull off to 9 and hammer on to 11. It really is that simple when you think about it, but it is super important to nail the rhythm/timing slow. Then you can just speed it up from there. As for the muting the left hand is the same as anything else (using the first finger to mute the string below and above the G string). The important thing to remember about tapping is you dont need a lot of pressure from the right hand to make a noise. Instead you should be focused on being precise and trying not to hit the strings either side.
    Hope this helps

Cedric L

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Germany
    As I started with tapping “Fret Wrap” helped me a lot!
    https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/0BQAAOSw~vNcF3CL/s-l640.jpg
    This mutes all the strings you don’t want to play.
    Sure, you should be able to play these songs without it but at the beginning it is okay to use it.
    Even the “big ones” use this “technique”.

Just grab an old cloth and try it.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    It’s really just go slow and focus on doing that pattern. It’s kind of a pain in the ass but while you are tapping the 16th fret try to already release your finger that’s pressing down the 11th fret. I could make a video on it if you want me to.

Synner Endless Summer Collection