• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

technique for clear and clean execution

TrentNWM

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 15, 2019
    There are usually two main things you can do to mute your strings and that is either palm muting or fret wraps (which is generally only used for rapid muting rather than over time). From what I understand, you have a high amount of gain that's causing a lot of feedback from your amp or guitar. You could try turning down the gain on the amp and your guitar for a cheaper option or you could get fret wraps to help reduce the amount of feedback from the nut of the guitar. Here's a generally popular brand:
    Brazilian translation:
    Geralmente, há duas coisas principais que você pode fazer para silenciar suas cordas e isso é silenciar a palma da mão ou envolver os trastes (que geralmente é usado apenas para silenciamento rápido e não ao longo do tempo). Pelo que entendi, você tem uma grande quantidade de ganho que está causando muito feedback do seu amplificador ou guitarra. Você pode tentar diminuir o ganho do amplificador e sua guitarra para uma opção mais barata ou você pode obter envoltórios de trastes para ajudar a reduzir a quantidade de feedback da porca da guitarra. Aqui está uma marca geralmente popular:

Upvote 0

13runoDannyel

New Student
    Feb 7, 2022
    Geralmente, há duas coisas principais que você pode fazer para silenciar suas cordas e isso é silenciar a palma da mão ou envolver os trastes (que geralmente é usado apenas para silenciamento rápido e não ao longo do tempo). Pelo que entendi, você tem uma grande quantidade de ganho que está causando muito feedback do seu amplificador ou guitarra. Você pode tentar diminuir o ganho no amplificador e na sua guitarra para uma opção mais barata ou você pode obter envoltórios de trastes para ajudar a reduzir a quantidade de feedback da porca da guitarra. Aqui está uma marca geralmente popular:
    tradução brasileira:
    geralmente, há duas principais que você pode fazer duas para silenciar suas coisas e normalmente é usado apenas para coisas rápidas e não ao longo do tempo. Pelo que entendi, você tem grande quantidade de amplificador que é muito feedback do seu amplificador ou guitarra. Você pode tentar diminuir o ganho do amplificador e sua guitarra para uma opção mais barata ou você pode obter envoltórios de trastes para ajudar a reduzir a quantidade de feedback da porca. Aqui está uma marca geralmente popular:
    Obrigado pela dica 🙌

Upvote 0

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    fret wraps are a crutch and you do not want to get into the habit of using them to mute. You'll never get yourself into the habit of muting things yourself if you use a wrap 24 7. Recording of 100% use it for endurance but practice routines. Rehearsal.. etc. Lose the wrap. I've literally never used one.. I once used a cloth to record the tapping in a song bit that was it. I truly feel too many new players use the wrap more then needed. Then I literally see it on their guitar for every video they post. Just imagine going to a show with the wrap on.. you wanna show your confident and kno the wrap takes away a bit of your confidence.

obviously this is just my opinion. You'll get cleaner results and could in retrospect make you more confident if it sounds cleaner but knowing that it's the wrap muting and not myself makes me for example feel LESS confident about my techniques because it makes me feel like I cant so it myself. Forcing myself to resort to "cheating"

Reactions: Lindsey
    Upvote 0

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    I disagree, I use a fret wrap from time to time depending on what I’m playing and it in no way shape or form has diminished my confidence. Do I still actively play without it ? Yes. But, when I’m not getting the best sound I want for me personally I slap it on because at the end of the day it’s about what I want and not anyone else. If a wrap makes you more confident or like your sound more, go for it. Imo it’s no different than using a noise gate, or various pedals to achieve a certain tone you want. 🤷🏼‍♀️
    They’re all tools. Utilize them if you want.

Upvote 0

TrentNWM

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 15, 2019
    fret wraps are a crutch and you do not want to get into the habit of using them to mute. You'll never get yourself into the habit of muting things yourself if you use a wrap 24 7. Recording of 100% use it for endurance but practice routines. Rehearsal.. etc. Lose the wrap. I've literally never used one.. I once used a cloth to record the tapping in a song bit that was it. I truly feel too many new players use the wrap more then needed. Then I literally see it on their guitar for every video they post. Just imagine going to a show with the wrap on.. you wanna show your confident and kno the wrap takes away a bit of your confidence.

obviously this is just my opinion. You'll get cleaner results and could in retrospect make you more confident if it sounds cleaner but knowing that it's the wrap muting and not myself makes me for example feel LESS confident about my techniques because it makes me feel like I cant so it myself. Forcing myself to resort to "cheating"
    I respectfully disagree. In many different bands and even with professional musicians, fret wraps are really just a tool, not a crutch. I like to think of it like a pick or a tremolo bar. You don’t need a pick to actually play the guitar, but it makes everything much easier in terms of playing. Plus, I think you’re looking at this too specifically. Some players like very specific tones, such as Aaron Marshall from Intervals. He uses fret wraps all the time and I believe this is because he uses high gain to outline specific harmonics that he likes using when he solos.

I believe what you meant through fret wraps being a crutch is that beginners and intermediate players should not become too dependent on tools such as these. I agree with that all day long, it is always best to be as versatile as possible.

Reactions: Alicia Willis
    Upvote 0

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    I respectfully disagree. In many different bands and even with professional musicians, fret wraps are really just a tool, not a crutch. I like to think of it like a pick or a tremolo bar. You don’t need a pick to actually play the guitar, but it makes everything much easier in terms of playing. Plus, I think you’re looking at this too specifically. Some players like very specific tones, such as Aaron Marshall from Intervals. He uses fret wraps all the time and I believe this is because he uses high gain to outline specific harmonics that he likes using when he solos.

I believe what you meant through fret wraps being a crutch is that beginners and intermediate players should not become too dependent on tools such as these. I agree with that all day long, it is always best to be as versatile as possible.
    The tricks you mention are definitely isolated situations. And I agree in those moments for tone it's completely different. But I dont wsnt people to look at a fret wrap and decide they can learn muting later on. It actually gets harder the more you play without adding muting into your routine.

Like i said it's my opinion and it probably differs from others.

Reactions: Alicia Willis
    Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Jeremy Healey

Hot Topic Tourer
    Legend+
    Legend
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Newfoundland and Labrador
    Just going to leave this here lol
    Screen Shot 2022-02-27 at 5.27.46 PM.png

Reactions: TrentNWM