• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

The Art of Live, as seen in Randy Rhoads

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Take a look at this video about Randy; it's not long. While you're watching, listen to the leads Randy plays to songs YOU ALREADY KNOW. Compare them to the studio recordings.

Randy, and most guitarists of the era, hit the finer points of his solos note for note (or close to it), giving the seasoned listener a reference to the original recording, but he also took a LOT of creative liberties EVERY NIGHT. Compare these live recordings to those on Tribute, or any other live recording of Randy that you hear - they're ALL different, and not just "slightly."

Even Syn does this - watch live recordings. There are parts he plays faithful to the record, and there are parts he just LETS GO and has a run with it.

Think about that. I know that in this YouTube and Instagram age, playing a difficult solo note for note is a badge of honor; an achievement, and rightly so. But make a note in your heart as a musician that it's just as important to be able to feel the moment and put that moment through your fingers. That balance is difference for each of us, but regardless of your skill level, that's the difference between being a guitarist and being a musician, IMO.

There's a time and place for note-for-note, and learning them is a fundamental exercise in finding your own muse and licks, and exploring your own talent. But NEVER be afraid to take those liberties, especially live, and make the songs of others ALL YOUR OWN.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Take a look at this video about Randy; it's not long. While you're watching, listen to the leads Randy plays to songs YOU ALREADY KNOW. Compare them to the studio recordings.

Randy, and most guitarists of the era, hit the finer points of his solos note for note (or close to it), giving the seasoned listener a reference to the original recording, but he also took a LOT of creative liberties EVERY NIGHT. Compare these live recordings to those on Tribute, or any other live recording of Randy that you hear - they're ALL different, and not just "slightly."

Even Syn does this - watch live recordings. There are parts he plays faithful to the record, and there are parts he just LETS GO and has a run with it.

Think about that. I know that in this YouTube and Instagram age, playing a difficult solo note for note is a badge of honor; an achievement, and rightly so. But make a note in your heart as a musician that it's just as important to be able to feel the moment and put that moment through your fingers. That balance is difference for each of us, but regardless of your skill level, that's the difference between being a guitarist and being a musician, IMO.

There's a time and place for note-for-note, and learning them is a fundamental exercise in finding your own muse and licks, and exploring your own talent. But NEVER be afraid to take those liberties, especially live, and make the songs of others ALL YOUR OWN.
    I love this! I take a lot of liberties while keeping the Skeleton intact so it remains recognizable for the listener and more fun for me 😅

Also, this makes me wanna learn Mr. Crowley, love those solos

Last edited:

Jesse Salmons

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
    Nov 11, 2019
    Indiana
    One of the reasons i love RR, and it inspired me to do the same. If you listen to “Believer” from DOAM and then the same track on Tribute, specifically the solo, while being structured the same, is played so much differently! And it worked so well! Not to mention how Randy started crazy train Live, it was just incredible. There’s so much i could say about Randy. He inspired me to have that creative freedom, even when playing someone else’s solo.

Fun fact, Randy didnt like playing black sabbath songs, said he wasnt a big fan (crazy right?) and it took many phone calls to get him to audition for Ozzy. But the rest, as you know, is history

• Love
    Reactions: Ed Seith

Steven Huth

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 11, 2019
    A really good example of Syn doing this is the Seize the Day solo on the Live in the LBC DVD vs the City of Evil recording. Both solos are amazing, but I lean towards the live one because you get a bit more feeling out of it.

Even Matt sings some parts differently on the DVD as well. It really adds that artistic feel to the song.

Great post, Ed. This can be applied to everything you do in life.