• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

The C Major Scale – Lesson 9

rockyrhoads

Free Bird Player
Dec 20, 2019
Not easy to memorise in usable fashion over the entire fretboard. I memorise the major scale taking the root as the reference point and then two patterns - one either side. Take the C note on the 5th string.

To the left we have the "open position pattern" which runs C to C over 4 strings and to the right we have the C (5th string 3rd fret) to C (3rd string 5th fret) over 3 strings.

When you reach the end of one you can run the other shape off the octave.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Conor Mason

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
Hermitage, Pennsylvania- USA
This is such a foundational scale! There are many riffs and licks in music that are played with this scale. One riff is the intro to 'Tucker's Town' by Hootie and the Blowfish. This is the basic 'do, re, mi' scale. I also try to find the notes in every position possible as I learn scales. This one has a handy open position to start with. Finding music to practice the scale with helps me cement it into my mind and makes it a lot more fun to apply it in a real lick versus just practicing the scalar exercises constantly.

Reactions: TriSarahTops19

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    @Firsty Lasty this bird is crazy, I never knew how amazing birds were till he got dumped on me. Made kind of rethink my thoughts about all animals. When I look at it up close I see it being a tiny dinosaur raised eating only seeds. I've kind of been studying him. He tries to talk when he's affectionate, I've heard him whisper weird clicks/chirps that were barely audible. He screeches in my ears, at first it was unbearable, now I don't even notice. He's very agile too, it's more amazing in real life than in a video. He makes me more patient, it's a good thing

I've noticed at least 10 different gestures sounds that he tries to communicate to me, and he responds to clicks and whistles. I don't talk much so he kind of get weird when I talk to him

Last edited:
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

kaltracobaj

Free Bird Player
    Dec 8, 2020
    How do we know which scale is correct, which C on the fret board we should ues for starters. because till know i know 2 different ways to play the C major scale and one way in the B string wich i figured out myself. I hope sb gets what i mean