• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

THE DIRECTOR’S CUT by Fantomas

Gabby Heafy

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Apr 5, 2020
    www.instagram.com
    Looking forward to expounding upon Papa Gates’s experience and notes. He’s got an ear that can rival anyone’s, no joke. Also love(and blown away) that he hasn’t heard this record. He may hate it and it most certainly will literally scare the shit out of his chickens but he’s a kind man. A thoughtful man. A BRAVE man.

:papa:

He will most certainly give us great analysis
    Surely Papa Gates can give us great insight and analysis on this album! Gotta be honest it's a little scary this music if you're not used to it hahaha. the rosemary's baby one gave me chills lol. I never listened to this style of metal, but I liked it a lot! it's very crazy and innovative! I'll be waiting for the review of Papa Gates! ❤️ 🤘

ari.mac

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 16, 2020
    Italy
    Ya Patton has an affinity for Italian culture and is pretty well versed in the language(dudes a polyglot), shows/cinema(old and new), and music(classic, contemporary, film scores). Like myself, he’s a psycho Ennio Morricone fan. None greater for Spaghetti Westerns(all filmed in Italy hence the not so woke nickname) and underrated Horror films, Hateful 8 being one of my absolute favorite films AND soundtracks.

Thx for the deep dive fren
    Yes!! I have been suspecting about his affinity for Italy since your Disco Volante rec, with the "Violenza Domestica" track and the name of the album itself!! Great stuff. Hateful Eight is a great movie and well, Morricone never disappoints. He is basically a god here, I'm happy you love his music this much as well. And thank you for taking the time to read my ramblings 😂 Have a great day Syn ✨

• Love
    Reactions: Syn Gates

Jamie London

GYNNER
    Staff member
  • Nov 11, 2019
    California
    synner.com
    Yes!! I have been suspecting about his affinity for Italy since your Disco Volante rec, with the "Violenza Domestica" track and the name of the album itself!! Great stuff. Hateful Eight is a great movie and well, Morricone never disappoints. He is basically a god here, I'm happy you love his music this much as well. And thank you for taking the time to read my ramblings 😂 Have a great day Syn ✨
    You should definitely check out Patton’s “Mondo Cane” album if you haven’t yet, completely in Italian and oh so good!

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    So I'm listening to it now

The godfather: it's basically beginning as I was expecting but after that. Holy shit 🤯 it's like heavy and a little weird at the same time and almost not recognizable. It's exactly the right kind of weird for me

Der Golem: damn, this sounds pretty ominous really. Pretty damn cool! Can't help head banging at this one really!

Experiment in terror: I think this is my favourite so far. I love how it's chill yet sounding a bit dark, that's something I enjoy a lot. Love the strings too!

One Step Beyond: Ooh, I love this! This sounds spooky af and I'm not into horror at all but love the music!

Night of the hunter: hahah, this is awesome! It has exactly the right amount of spooky/creepy. Also love the sounds effects created by scraping the guitar!

Cape Fear; I'm starting to find a ominous theme. Sound like there's a bunch of diminished(?) Stuff going on and it sounds wicked!

Rosemary's Baby: Mike Patton's voice lends itself so well for this! Those lala lalas freak me out. Sounds incredibly cool really!

The devil Rides out: another spooky song, diminished stuff lends itself so well for this! I love diminished stuff in general but never use it for this so there's some new inspiration right there!

Spider Baby: hahaha, I love this!

The omen(ve Santana): damn, this is pretty Brutal which isn't entirely my cup of tea. Do have to say I love the choir tho!

Henry: portrait of a serial Killer: ooh, this is nice. Love how the intro is done with the siren and the buildup afterwards!

Vendetta: damn, this is awesome! Love how Mike's voice is used is this and the instrumental sounds killer too!

Investigation of a citizen above suspicion: the beginning of thjs sing just speaks to me for some reason, it just sounds so wicked. Great build up too, love how to guitar becomes more prominent after a while while the theme remains the same, that works really great!

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With me: another awesome song! I love Mike's softer voice and this song just sounds incredible! Also love the epic climax but at 1 minute and how it goes back to chill after. Really cool drumbeat coming in round 1m23 that sounds pretty hip hoppy to me

Charade: another really cool song! The ding ding bit 🤣🤣🤣 I love how crazy Mike gets at time's!

In the end I think this is not that far off of what I would expect from Mike Patton after listening to Mr. bungle(which I'm frankly more familiar with than Faith no more). It also really showcases the amazing vocalist that he is!

I gotta say, it's kinda funny that these are basically soundtracks because I've always loved soundtracks and actually am making one for a movie in the foreseeable future(I got myself like 5 courses on how to make a soundtrack so I won't actually suck 🤣)

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    It was my first time hearing the Fantomas and this album, I really enjoyed it. I thought it was heavy and Cinematic. Didn't get through finding and listening to the originals yet but from the ones I heard ( half or so ) they were really pretty. I haven't seen most if not all the movies, have heard of a few and I'd probably watch them sometime. I didn't know there were movies from 1920? I heard the Godfather theme sometime ago but hearing it now again it sounds so intricate.
    2 of my favorites right now are Der Golem and RoseMarys Baby
    I liked how different it all was, atmospheric, kind of like an audio cinema
    When the snare came I had a big smile, recently maybe this past year I heard The Melvins for the first time, I recognized the tone
    I'm going to keep listening to both versions and try to learn, not sure what to pay attention to but maybe listening enough I'll slowly learn something.
    A great collection of songs
    Thanks Mr Synyster! It was amazing timed share :D

I almost forgot I made a track some months ago, one of the songs reminded me of it, the vibe or something. Thought it was a weird coincidence

Last edited:
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Anna.VG

Campfire Attention Holder
    Mar 14, 2021
    Mexico
    www.instagram.com
    So I’m not so used to this heavy stuff but I LOVED it so much, this record, of those you´ve recommended, this is by far my favorite one. I wasn´t expecting such a crazy album but it was so fun listening to it! I think the idea of doing covers of the classical songs of sci-fi and horror movies is totally original and amazing, more because they didn´t do the conventional covers, they did it according to their style, my respects to these dudes👏

But it would’ve been amazing if you warned us in here of not hearing this record with earphones, I almost died from a heart attack lmao, and I’m deaf of one ear so thank you😅

The Godfather: Wasn’t expecting such a change, the bass sounds incredible and almost the end (2:03) is pure fire. The combination of Dave Lombardo and Buzz Osborne is lethal!🔥

Der Golem: the intro gave me Rammstein vibes, the screams here are so great. I read that Mike sings the lyrics from the dialogues of the movie, interesting

Experiment in Terror: Such a great riff and drums for the “intro”, really liked the bass here and the backup vocals are cool, I liked this song so much

Rosemary Baby: Creepy intro! 👻And this instrument they used, it’s a piano? I don’t know but it adds this creepy thing to the song, the guitar at the end just as powerful as the voice. You can feel the mystery and the suspense while hearing this one!

Spider Baby: Omggg I think this is my favorite song from the album, the bass here it’s just mind blowing!🤘

The Omen: Deep vocals here and a slow start and then it changes to this fast riffs and crazy vocals, now I think Satan is in my room after this✝️

Charade: I like how much rhythm is in this song, the melodies here are so great, it’s smooth then it’s a total mayhem! The end of this song is the best way to close this album

The creativity they all used for this album is mind-blowing, they use all kind of effects to give it more variety. The vocals of Mike Patton are unique! And the mix of the bass, drums and guitar are so perfect, I´m really impressed of the talent of all these guys, especially with Trevor Dunn!☠️

Thanks Syn for this one, can´t stop hearing it, now I´m going to listen to the original ones!

It´s always a good idea to discover to new artists, different genres, different styles and this AOTM it’s the perfect opportunity to do so. 🖤Can´t wait for the next one!

Hope you had an amazing weekend, take care!🤍

Last edited:

Jamie London

GYNNER
    Staff member
  • Nov 11, 2019
    California
    synner.com
    The last few days I’ve been thinking… if Fantomas were to ever sequel this beast of an album, what soundtracks would you want to hear them cover? I think they could do something really cool with “The Exorcist” theme, though i know that’s a bit of a vanilla pick. Maybe mess around with a song from “The Wizard of Oz” as well. “Main Title”, “Over the Rainbow”, Poppies, literally them doing any song from TWOZ would be pure nightmare fuel and if be all about it lol

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Gabby Heafy

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Apr 5, 2020
    www.instagram.com
    The last few days I’ve been thinking… if Fantomas were to ever sequel this beast of an album, what soundtracks would you want to hear them cover? I think they could do something really cool with “The Exorcist” theme, though i know that’s a bit of a vanilla pick. Maybe mess around with a song from “The Wizard of Oz” as well. “Main Title”, “Over the Rainbow”, Poppies, literally them doing any song from TWOZ would be pure nightmare fuel and if be all about it lol
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is a good one! :)