• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

The Guitar Fretboard Layout – Lesson 6

Ryan girvin

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
Nov 11, 2019
Great lesson man. Really enjoying these!!! This might sound like a stupid question but is there a specific reason it's in sharps going down the neck and flats going back up? And is that always the case when travelling up and down the neck?

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Great lesson man. Really enjoying these!!! This might sound like a stupid question but is there a specific reason it's in sharps going down the neck and flats going back up? And is that always the case when travelling up and down the neck?

Good question, and the answer is just teaching simplicity. Whether notes are sharps or flats is based 100% on what key the music is in, so when there's no specific key, it's just "convenience" or "familiarity."

I think Papa chose to use both just to generate familiarity with new students.

Reactions: Ryan girvin

Ryan girvin

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
    Nov 11, 2019
    Good question, and the answer is just teaching simplicity. Whether notes are sharps or flats is based 100% on what key the music is in, so when there's no specific key, it's just "convenience" or "familiarity."

Okay. Yeah, that makes sense. Thank you very much for your reply. Guitar is hard. Lol. But I'm getting there and I feel like I'm in the right place.

Synner Endless Summer Collection