• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

The Harmonic Minor Scale - Lesson 101

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    Highly recommend for everyone to learn about the Harmonic Minor Scale. One of the biggest tricks up my sleeve that I use in solos and leads, definitely my favorite scale. I first learned about it by studying Syn's playing and note choice. Gives it a great, almost evil (dare I say sinister) sort of sound. Also sounds great on a nylon guitar and used in spanish/classical music.
    It's definitely one of the key flavors to the Avenged sound. I noticed Syn seems to use Phrygian Dominant type motifs when he's doing his live solo breaks - it's so clever cause they don't sound like typical cliche cheesy metal Phrygian dominant leads :love: one of my favorite things about his style

Reactions: Ethan Keeling

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    I learned the Fm chord starting the D string, so now I can do it on the other notes too. The theory part I got to try and understand it again, also try the tips. For me its a lot of information, that with general practice