• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

The Heart From Your Hate on a 6 string guitar

Bartosz Tkaczyk

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Warsaw, Poland
Hello everyone! i would like to learn THFYH by Trivium on a 6 string guitar but i’m not sure how to do it. The original song is in B flat so on a 6 string i must tune my guitar to A# standard right? https://www.songsterr.com/a/wsa/trivium-the-heart-from-your-hate-tab-s436515t1 i’ve found this tab but before i start learning i want to check if it’s right 😀

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    If all you’re interested in playing is the “Lead Guitar – Distortion” part that comes up when I click the link, then you just need to tune 1/2 step flat (Eb Standard) or use a drop pedal down 1 increment.
    There are no notes in that particular part that use the 7th string, so to play it on a standard guitar, you just ignore the 7th string. Now, since the original is in Bb/A#, the 6th string upward is Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb.
    Make sense?
    PS: You would not be able to tune the 6 string guitar to A# without changing to much thicker strings, probably getting the nut fitted for them, and a full setup.

Noah Berends

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Fort Wayne, IN
    This is a situation where the Digitech Drop pedal is a thing of beauty. With lead you can probably ignore the 7th string and mentally transpose every note down the fretboard to the original track’s tuning, although in my experience this makes it significantly harder whenever any open string notes appear. Might create some awkward stretches. But as long as your guitar for example is in E standard you’ll be able to play the song in the original key just lower frets so long as none of the notes go lower than the E. If one goes lower, you’ll have to change tuning to accommodate.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    @Bartosz, if you want to play the rhythm, that complicates things a little. The only real option you would have without the strings and the setup and stuff would be to take anything that uses the low B string and play it two frets up on the A string.
    The only other feasible option is to use a Digitech Drop down 6 half-steps if you stay in standard tuning. That would bring you down to Bb Standard, but essentially eliminate the high E (Eb) string, which would only affect part of the lead guitar.
    If you’re dead set on playing it all, get a drop pedal, tune to Eb standard, set the drop pedal for 5 semitones. Leave it OFF for anything “lead” and turn it ON for anything rhythm, and get ready to be royally fucking confused when you try to play it like that 🙂

Synner Endless Summer Collection