• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

The lick challenge has begun!

Patrick Martin

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
It's time for something new. We're taking the riff challenge to a new level!

The rules of this challenge will be the same as the good old riff challenge. You remember that one, right?
For those of you who don't, and the newer members it goes as followed:

To join, all you have to do is leave a comment stating you want to be challenged. Anyone can reply to your comment giving you a random lick from the internet or a lick from a song, and you can do the same to others.
(Try to make sure there are tabs for the lick. You can mention your level to get a fair challenge)
Learn the lick you've been given. It would be fun if you record yourself and share it here. You can play the lick over the original track or use it in an improv, that's up to you. Don't worry about recording quality, this is all for fun and to motivate your playing.
After that shout for a new lick, or challenge someone else.

You're allowed to make requests about licks in a specific style to learn something, or to ask for something new to expand your horizon.

I challenged myself with a random lick I used in an improv. (Is it really an improv if you’ve been playing it for 3 days? 😅) I’ll post it in the first comment.

The first official victim of the challenge is @Radu-Cristian Perde !
I challenge you to learn Killswitch Engaged - Holy Diver, the post solo lick.

Game on 🤘
challenge me

Lindsey

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    www.instagram.com

I finally finished my challenge. I decided to go for the whole song but skipped the verses, maybe it made it messy. It’s not played as clean as I wanted it to be but I didn’t want to wait too long. I’m giving myself a week to finish a challenge.

I’m ready for the next one.

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal

I finally finished my challenge. I decided to go for the whole song but skipped the verses, maybe it made it messy. It’s not played as clean as I wanted it to be but I didn’t want to wait too long. I’m giving myself a week to finish a challenge.

I’m ready for the next one.
    Hell yeah, incredible job!!! I think it came out pretty sweet in the time frame you learned it! Congratulations, you just became a redneck! Your american passport, american flag and gun will be delivered to your doorsteps soon.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Lindsey

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    www.instagram.com
    Hell yeah, incredible job!!! I think it came out pretty sweet in the time frame you learned it! Congratulations, you just became a redneck! Your american passport, american flag and gun will be delivered to your doorsteps soon.
    It better be here in time for my birthday!😂

Thank you 😁

Lindsey

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    www.instagram.com
    challenge me
    Easy-guitar-licks-1.jpg
    i found a simple one for improvs

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    I hope I won't miss it. We're still at pigeon speed.🤣
    Well then let me congratulating on you passing at eagle speed!!! Now you will be able to brag about it. Every single proud American redneck receives a bald eagle as a pet when they are born. True story!

But while I am saying this, I have to admit that I am Canadian. What I got was a moose. And that's damn epic

Lindsey

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    www.instagram.com
    Well then let me congratulating on you passing at eagle speed!!! Now you will be able to brag about it. Every single proud American redneck receives a bald eagle as a pet when they are born. True story!

But while I am saying this, I have to admit that I am Canadian. What I got was a moose. And that's damn epic
    Thank you very much but now I'd like to have my own moose.
    Preferably an american canadian one so that it will fly too. I'm not asking for much here

Last edited:

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    Thank you very much but now I'd like to have my own moose.
    Preferably an american canadian one so that it will fly too. I'm not asking for much here
    Nooo not at all. You're just asking for me to play with genetics I mean, how hard can it possibly be right? RIGHT??? :mad:😂
    Does anyone know a lick in drop A# or C standard?
    I mean, there is the intro of Psychosocial that is a bit of a challenge but... hey maybe you could give it a try? No need to go full normal speed!

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    That's drop A, I'll save that for another time. I haven't tortured my guitar, amp, and neighbours with that tuning yet 😅
    I swear I didn't see the sharp, I thought you were in drop A 😮 my bad! But hey, you're only one half step from making your neighbours tremble with the sound of heavy riffs :rock-hand:

• Haha
    Reactions: Lindsey

TreSavedge

Free Bird Player
  • Nov 25, 2019
    St Louis, MO
    Now that I fullfilled my challenge it's time to nominate someone else. I see @TreSavedge is still pretty active in the media section so I would like to challenge you to play the lead guitar part of "American Nightmare" by Ice Nine Kills. Specificly the one around 34 seconds.

And I bet this would be a cool one for @Ed Seith too 👀
    80% Speed so far.