• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

The Lydian Mode – Lesson 63

Can Yildirim

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Hi all. I have a question at this point, but it is rather about naming a scale.
The opening riff of Unholy Confessions has the following notes played in it: A A# C D E F G

If I understood correctly from the lessons so far, depending on how you write it, it can be named as an A Phrygian (A A# C D E F G), A# Lydian (A# C D E F G A) or simply D Minor (D E F G A A# C ). So, my question is, what is the scale of this riff then? All these are the same scales, clearly. But, what is the best/proper way to name it. Is it the root note, that is being played the most often, which is A in this riff? Hence, does it make the riff's scale name A Phrygian? Or do we simply say it is D Minor, since D is the first note played in the riff?

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
Hi all. I have a question at this point, but it is rather about naming a scale.
The opening riff of Unholy Confessions has the following notes played in it: A A# C D E F G

If I understood correctly from the lessons so far, depending on how you write it, it can be named as an A Phrygian (A A# C D E F G), A# Lydian (A# C D E F G A) or simply D Minor (D E F G A A# C ). So, my question is, what is the scale of this riff then? All these are the same scales, clearly. But, what is the best/proper way to name it. Is it the root note, that is being played the most often, which is A in this riff? Hence, does it make the riff's scale name A Phrygian? Or do we simply say it is D Minor, since D is the first note played in the riff?
Unholy confessions is in D Minor. Generally key is defined by the chords played underneath it not by the notes in the scales. For example if you have F-Am-Gm-Dm it is in Dm since it resolves to Dm. Gm-F-A#-Am it is in A# Lydian since you resolve to A#(that's the only perfect cadence in the chord progression), F-A#-Dm-Am is in A phrygian because you resolve back to Am.

Last edited:
Reactions: carlosmqr