• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

The Major Scale – Lesson 7

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    I’m having trouble understanding why we start on B for the major scale here? To me seems like there is no rhyme or reason to it? If we are playing on the 5th string, why aren’t we playing A first? Thanks!
    the 3rd fret of the 5th string is actually a C so we're playing the C major scale! One of the primary reason we use the C to represent the major scale is because there are no sharp or flats in it so it's one of the easiest to represent in terms of theory. But I don't think you should overthink it too much. It's an example that can be applied to any other notes. It's just that if you break down the notes that are part of a Major scale for any other note, they would have sharps and flats and for beginners the C again is easier to demonstrate.

Reactions: botastiac

botastiac

Free Bird Player
    Jul 31, 2021
    the 3rd fret of the 5th string is actually a C so we're playing the C major scale! One of the primary reason we use the C to represent the major scale is because there are no sharp or flats in it so it's one of the easiest to represent in terms of theory. But I don't think you should overthink it too much. It's an example that can be applied to any other notes. It's just that if you break down the notes that are part of a Major scale for any other note, they would have sharps and flats and for beginners the C again is easier to demonstrate.
    Thank you for the clarification!!
    Edit: was just practicing this scale and I realized now why it starts on B! It makes a lot of sense to me now. Also why there is a half note on E.

Last edited:
    Synner Endless Summer Collection