• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

The Major Scale – Lesson 7

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Conor Mason

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
Hermitage, Pennsylvania- USA
Nice Lesson as always folks! Easy intro to the major scale for anyone. On my experience, 3-note-per-string runs are easier to execute, especially when you get into breaking down timings and types of notes you are playing in a run; i.e. 8th notes, 16th notes, 32nd notes, etc. I always try to learn as many permutations and notes per string as I can. John Petrucci teaches this in Rock Discipline. I've found it's easier to start with 3 per string runs and go from there as a foundation. Cheers!

Reactions: MayEmton

Anas'rocky'jboor

Garage band Groupie
Apr 29, 2020
Jordan (HKJ)
well i have been playing for 6 months ik most of the chords i play all of the open chords im here to learn most of thing and get better and well whos better to learn from than papa gates and synyster gates one of my favourite guitarists in the whole world and im really happy about learning from them such an experience but im confused of the major scale ill figure it out lol and thanks for these amazing lessons

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
well i have been playing for 6 months ik most of the chords i play all of the open chords im here to learn most of thing and get better and well whos better to learn from than papa gates and synyster gates one of my favourite guitarists in the whole world and im really happy about learning from them such an experience but im confused of the major scale ill figure it out lol and thanks for these amazing lessons
If you're confused you are absolutely free to ask a question, I even encourage you to do so!

Reactions: Anas'rocky'jboor

Anas'rocky'jboor

Garage band Groupie
Apr 29, 2020
Jordan (HKJ)
If you're confused you are absolutely free to ask a question, I even encourage you to do so!
thanks i really figured it out im happy after 6 months of struming and playing chords now i can understand the fretboard and how it works im happy that i have joined its amazing tbh im learning new things and getting better and ill keep asking you guys ill bother you by that hahah thanks and appreciated

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
thanks i really figured it out im happy after 6 months of struming and playing chords now i can understand the fretboard and how it works im happy that i have joined its amazing tbh im learning new things and getting better and ill keep asking you guys ill bother you by that hahah thanks and appreciated
Naah, you don't really bother anyone by asking questions.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
Is this form of the C major scale built off of the F Lydian scale, if it were to be played across all 6 strings?
No it is not, F lydian is the 4th mode of the C major scale. A scale is not defined by a form it is defined by the notes that are in it. If you go through CAGED you will realize that those notes can be found anywhere on the neck, the shapes change but the rules do not. A scale is not suddenly build differently if you play it somewhere else, the notes are exactly the same.

Reactions: JayGleason2000

Kim

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
I used to play scales to practise alternate picking and finger positions. But never knew theory behind it. now that I did lesson 6 (learning note names) and understanding how that works (with B directly to C and E to F), now this makes so much more logic to me.. I actually didnt knowthat a scale is build out of notes in this order. I feel kinda stupid now, that i just played scales and never knew what the notes where or that there what wss the logic behind it :p
Im practising this and calling name of the notes for myself, so thats how Im currently learning it. I figured out the D scale myself (gonna check if it is ok, but this is really helpfull for learning note names on different strings)

Kim

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
I checked on internet that this is a D major scale
|---------------------------------
B|-------------------------------
G|-----------------4--6--7--
D|--------4--5--7------------
A|--5--7----------------------
E|-------------------------------

I tried to find the notes of scale myself before looking it up on internet and I came up with this:

G|----------------------5--7--
D|-------- --5--7-8-----------
A|--5--7-8---------------------

What I think that I do wrong is that a major scale strats with 2 notes on the string and then goes one string lower, is that correct?
I cant understand why the F note (third note in the scale) is on D string 4th position and not on D string third position in the example I found on internet.

Edit: I think I understand, the 3rd not isnt a F
Papa Gates says the scale goes: whole, whole, half, but he plays on second string: 3 5 7
I dont understand that, imo opinion that are 3 whole notes
I try to understand, but still struggling with some parts
Edit: i understand now, cause the first note we dont count :) Im getting there :)

Last edited:

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
I checked on internet that this is a D major scale
G|-----------------4--6--7--
D|--------4--5--7------------
A|--5--7----------------------

I tried to find the notes of scale myself before looking it up on internet and I came up with this:

G|----------------------5--7--
D|-------- --5--7-8-----------
A|--5--7-8---------------------

What I think that I do wrong is that a major scale strats with 2 notes on the string and then goes one string lower, is that correct?
I cant understand why the F note (third note in the scale) is on D string 4th position and not on D string third position in the example I found on internet.

Edit: I think I understand, the 3rd not isnt a F
Papa Gates says the scale goes: whole, whole, half, but he plays on second string: 3 5 7
I dont understand that, imo opinion that are 3 whole notes
I try to understand, but still struggling with some parts
Basically, what you're looking for now is intervals. The fourth fret D string is F# which is the major third for D making it a major scale. If you now make that F# an F it becomes a D minor scale since F is the minor third.

Try to learn your intervals together with notes on the fretboard and some chord theory. Everything becomes a lot cleared if you get that part.