• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

The Minor 6 Arpeggio - Lesson 109

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
Gminor is relative to bflat major. So.. theoretically I should be able to play my fm6 arpeggio over gminor just as I would over bflat major yes? I've been trying to figure this out all day and the notes just dont add up.

My fifth for bflat is f. So.. I should be able to play that minor 6 over the major 9 right? And if that is the case.. wouldn't it make it the same case for gminor?

I tried using my a minor example and followed it and I haven't played it out yet but if not notes dont add up unless I'm adding tension it doesnt make sense to me. There isnt even a g in the Fminor 6 but which is why it is throwing me off so bad. There also not a bflat. I know we dont care .for the root there but I'd like to think some of the other notes should add up.

Is there something I'm missing here?

Reactions: Brian Haner Sr.

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
Staff member
Legend+
Fucking Legend
Nov 11, 2019
Yeah. You're missing something. Not sure exactly what you're saying. Gm is relative to BbMaj. So you can interchange those. Fm6 has nothing to do with Gm or BbMajor. However - you can play a Fm6 over a Bb Dominant7 chord - Bb7, Bb9, Bb13. Make sense?

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
Staff member
Legend+
Fucking Legend
Nov 11, 2019
OK. Let's take the Am6 arpeggio - which is what I show in the lesson.
It works over Am6 (obviously)
It works over C Major (with the caveat that it has an F# - which is a #11 or b5. So keep in mind the F# will sound "out" unless you have a Major chord with a b5 or #11. Definitely has a Lydian sound. Sometimes it's nice to play it over a straight Maj7 chord and resolve your F# note to a G. Tension/release)
It works over D9. (Basically it's a D9 without the root)
It works over a F#m7b5. (Same exact notes - different roots)
And lastly it works over any Ab Dominant altered chord. (Ab7b5, Ab7b5b9, etc. Uber-jazzy sound)

The tricky thing here is how to connect the dots and find the right min6 arpeggio for the chord you're playing. In other words - you don't want to think, "What can I play an Am6 arpeggio over?" You want to think from the chord you're playing, e.g. What min6 arpeggio works over a D9? ALWAYS work from the chord.
So let's reverse engineer this.
So for a Major chord - think relative minor. (The relative minor - or 6th - of C is A)
For a Dom7 or 9 chord, think the 5th of the chord. (The 5th of a D9 is A)
For a min7b5 chord, think the 3rd of the chord. (the 3rd of a F#m7b5 is A)
For an Ab Alt chord think 1/2 step up. (A half step up from the root of a Ab7b5#9 is A)

Hope that makes sense!
Cheers!
PG

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
That's what I was doing was trying to work from b flat but when I go and look at the chords they dont line up. Are you basically saying that not every 9 chord will give you the answer? Cause if I have to go and look it up myself then that explains the problem i had. I was going straight to my bflat9 to find the m6 for b flat.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
That's what I was doing was trying to work from b flat but when I go and look at the chords they dont line up. Are you basically saying that not every 9 chord will give you the answer? Cause if I have to go and look it up myself then that explains the problem i had. I was going straight to my bflat9 to find the m6 for b flat.

Actually you know what I just realize how badly I was over complicating it after reading your response again.. lol

• Haha
Reactions: Brian Haner Sr.