• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

The REAL Key to A7X Tone

DXMG503

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Short answer:
The cheap SM57 microphone is the major key to unlocking some of Avenged Sevenfold’s iconic tone.

Hey folks,
I just want to share a quick bit about the awesome album tone A7X manages to achieve. For context, I’ve been researching the band and chasing a sound similar to them since the early internet, before sites like YouTube even existed.

The band’s City of Evil and self-titled guitar tone is incredible. The simple term I would use to describe them is “cut.” Those tones are just so precise and articulate, they cut through the mix perfectly. You could also describe them as sharp, or even a bit harsh if you stretch the idea a bit. How on earth did they achieve that sound using Uberschall amps of all things - an amp known for being extremely dark in tone (they aren’t actually dark amps, but that’s a whole other topic). Among a few other tone shaping tools on their albums ( NOTE their album sound is a lot different than their live tone) the $120 SM57 microphone is the real key.

If you’ve ever used an SM57 on a guitar amp, you know the sound already. It’s a very coloured microphone. It filters a lot of lows out out of the sound and does pretty significant boost in the upper mids. I would call it a vary nasally microphone myself. It’s sharp and cutting, just like the quality I love in A7X tone.

To balance out the harsh tone of the SM57, most studio folks will point the mic on the guitar cab at the space where the speak cone and dust cap meet - the popular mid-tonal point on the speaker between really dark (far edge of the cone) and really bright (dust cap in the centre).

…Not A7X though. Nope. In some of my recent research, I came across an interview with engineer Fred Archambault on working with the band, and he says they placed the SM57 in the dead centre of the speaker, taking the sharp sound of the mic to its extreme.

This is FASCINATING to me. They broke a major recording tradition to achieve their awesome guitar tone, and it really paid off.

I also found out that the iconic snare drum from City of Evil was recorded with an SM57 too. The Rev did use an extremely bright snare to record that album, but the SM57 takes it to the next level.

I hope this knowledge is helpful for people! You don’t have to spend thousands and thousands of dollars to achieve a sound, so work with what you have, even a cheap $100 mic! Album vs live tone is very different. Also, A7X use so many different guitar and amp routs to achieve their sounds, it’s hard to nail down just one sound for them, but most all of it is filtered through an SM57.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    The Cab Pack should give you a clue. This is likely the one:

1680999309055.png

Reactions: Apocalyptic Katana

DXMG503

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    question is.... what speaker did they use?

I'll just assume a V30.....

but there's a lot of V30 variants o_O
    Yeah, I couldn’t tell you what V30 exactly, but I’m pretty confident it’s all V30s they’ve recorded with. They’ve used Mesa and Bogner cabs for almost everything, which virtually always have V30s in them - Waking the Fallen, City of Evil, Self Titled. I’m not sure if they used the Deizel cab along with the head they were using for Nightmare, but again, that often has V30s. Even when they were endorsed by Marshall, I believe a large portion of that touring cycle they were using Mesa cabs. Syn chose V30s for his custom Hellwin Cab.

The only wild cards as far as I know is they used a Marshall cab on self titled, and I think they used some for a while live when they were endorsed by them for Nightmare too. Not sure what speakers those would have had.

Reactions: Apocalyptic Katana
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Awex Came

Campfire Attention Holder
    May 23, 2021
    All this time I thought it was finger tattoos
    Are you telling me it’s NOT tattoos and alcohol..? 🤨
    It's kinda like that rule how each bumper sticker on your car adds 5 horsepower to your car. Each tattoo gives them 0.5db eq boosts in all the right frequencies. Letting the world know your preferred cigarette brand by using your fingers as an advertisement is also the key to tonal perfection.

Jamie London

GYNNER
    Staff member
  • Nov 11, 2019
    California
    synner.com
    It's kinda like that rule how each bumper sticker on your car adds 5 horsepower to your car. Each tattoo gives them 0.5db eq boosts in all the right frequencies. Letting the world know your preferred cigarette brand by using your fingers as an advertisement is also the key to tonal perfection.
    That reminds me! How have your newest knuckle tats been helping with your playing??

• Love
    Reactions: Ed Seith

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    So much faster. Should’ve done this years ago. Thankfully my fingers move so fast that you can’t see how bad the tattoo is actually is
    Actually had someone try to tell me the work "isn't that bad." I very quickly, "oh god it's terrible and you know it, but good ink tells a story about the person wearing it, and this is a great story. I didn't go into it expecting him to be any good at it."

• Love
    Reactions: Jamie London
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Awex Came

Campfire Attention Holder
    May 23, 2021
    Actually had someone try to tell me the work "isn't that bad." I very quickly, "oh god it's terrible and you know it, but good ink tells a story about the person wearing it, and this is a great story. I didn't go into it expecting him to be any good at it."
    Dude same. I had people tell me they like it before ever hearing the story and I’m like “are you crazy?”. They seemed genuine about it too. I guess if music doesn’t work out for him, Syn has a career as a tattoo artist waiting for him