• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

The Real Slim Shady

Dan Shipway

Slim Shady
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Whats up dudes, thought I would hop over here since I thought I would give some background on myself. Ive been here for a while but who doesn't love to ramble.

If you dont know me, first of all, you are lucky, believe me there are people I have met just begging to be in your shoes.😂

My name is Dan (Slim Shady is my name after a bank accounts worth of Jack D has gone down the hatch and i'm rambling the lyrics to Without Me in a drunken slur) and I am a guitarist and rec/mixing engineer with a bit of songwriting work on the side too.

Im from the land of drinking tea, being fucking miserable about everything and worshipping Sabbath, RULE BRITANNIA! I started getting into music massively from an old cassette of yellow submarine that my mum used to have with the vocals in one ear and the entire rest of the mix in the other. *Insert boomer joke here*

Needless to say I listened to that on repeat and i mean REPEAT that shit was damn good. It wasn't really until 2008 when I started really listening to music.

I was and still am a HUGE themepark enthusiast and Disney played a huge part in that so you can imagine when I heard there was a ride about a band I was all over it.
    Parents not so much, I don't think listening to Steven Tyler talking about shagging in an elevator was in the best taste for a 6 year old.

I started playing guitar at age 9 when lesson flyers came through my school and I was like "Fuck yeah I'm getting all the chicks with this, music's cool too" (chicks dont dig diminished sweeps and I learned that very quickly).

Most of my inspiration for years came from Zakk Wylde and blues rock with a metric fuck ton of it still featured in my playing. Later on came guitarists like Syn and Petrucci and that got me to where I am today, some dude floating around the ether with a guitar style resembling that of Zakk Wylde playing prog after doing lines with Ozzy.

And finally, the mix engineer shit. I study SEP ( Sound Engineering and Production) at university since i knew it would be financially mre stable and it would help me produce my own work to a higher quality.

Im currently doing voluntary work at my local conservatoire (uni owned) which is where Im doing a work placement in recording live and studio music on big SSL desks.

Ok, that's the TED talk, concessions are on your left as you exit and as Ron Burgundy would say "Go fuck yourself"

Love you guys

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
    Staff member
    Legend+
    Fucking Legend
    Nov 11, 2019
    Hahaha! Very nice, Dan. "Chicks don't dig diminished sweeps" might just be the name of my next album.
    I had a reel to reel stereo tape of Revolver when I was a kid (I am a boomer). Vocals on one side, instruments on the other. I have never heard it mixed that way since. Eye-opening. I wish I still had it.
    Sounds like you are well-rounded and have placed the horse before the cart.
    Cheers!
    pg

Mauro FILHO

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Nov 11, 2019
    Hahaha! Very nice, Dan. "Chicks don't dig diminished sweeps" might just be the name of my next album.
    I had a reel to reel stereo tape of Revolver when I was a kid (I am a boomer). Vocals on one side, instruments on the other. I have never heard it mixed that way since. Eye-opening. I wish I still had it.
    Cheers!
    pg
    In fact, chicks dig any player who had a soul envolved it.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Dan Shipway

Slim Shady
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Cheers!
    pg
    Perhaps a better name is "Diminished licks, 0 chicks".😂 That reel to reel sound super cool, hopefully someone might have one kicking about somewhere.

Last edited:
    • Haha
    Reactions: Brian Haner Sr.

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    Hey dude! You and I never really had the chance to interact before but fuck yeah, glad you did yourself a proper introduction! I see here quite often opening up great discussion and I always appreciate your openness with your guitar journey!

You already know that you're very welcomed here I hope! Cheers!

Reactions: Brokejoker
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Mauro FILHO

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Nov 11, 2019
    Ha! Drop in on a Guthrie Govan seminar sometime. Nothing but testosterone. You can count the girls at a sold-out Yngwie concert on one hand.
    If you want to learn guitar to get chicks, you are in the wrong side of table, sorry to say. One night, after a concert were my band play for over 2.000 people (or more!), i'm down the stage, and find some girls that are screaming really loud. One of them asks: "You're int the band, right?"; I say "Yes, i play guitar". She reply me: "How many strings have a guitar? are that with four strings?". :unsure: Me: :oops: So, it doesn't matter what scale you use....