• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

THE REALITY OF MY SURROUNDINGS by Fishbone

Syn Gates

🦾
Staff member
Legend+
Sep 18, 2019
Huntington Beach
:syngates:Yo Family!

For this months #AOTM we are partying with the one and only, Fishbone, for their masterpiece of groove and chaos that is, The Reality Of My Surroundings.

This is yet another band that was introduced to me by The Rev. Unlike others, I instantly fell in love with this one and was quickly drawn to this record above their others. That’s saying a lot because to me, they’re all brilliant.

Fishbone is an all African American funk, punk, ska, heavy rock band from LA that like Avenged, formed in high school as friends and even two brothers, bassist John Norwood Fisher and drummer Phil “Fish” Fisher. These two musicians are nothing short of brilliant to me.

This record is is the culmination of insane feel, vision, and ambition, colliding at a Big Bang level with amazing songwriting and production. This album is as eclectic as it gets while somehow maintaining an unmistakable continuity.

John Bigham and Kendall Jones’ guitar solos are chaotic but soulful, melodic but expressive. These two can shred as hard as they can groove.

Favorite tracks-

Fight The Youth: Their opening track epitomizes probably my favorite genre of music when executed well, Funk Rock. It’s heavy, it grooves, the solos are insane, and the songwriting is rad.

So Many Millions: Not the best song melodically, in fact, it’s quite out there but this a notable mention simply for the drum groove. Incredible.

Housework: This song is what Fishbone does best. This song is fucking fun. Funky, high energy, and a genius tag “Do the housework” with dare I say, a slightly Synyster vibe???:syn-x:

Pray To The Junkie Maker: This is a classic. Angelo Moore’s vocal is absolutely perfect. The songwriting and lyrics are brilliant. Reggae with a twist.

Everyday Sunshine: Uplifting, brilliantly written, and perfectly executed. The group vocals throughout only complement and never convolute. They essentially have 3 main vocalists in Angelo Moore(sax), Chris Dowd(keys and bones), and Kendall Jones(guitar). They complete the track with a gospel style double time where they trade vocal lines. “Dirty” Walter Kibby(trumpet) contributes a couple grunts and screams as well. Fantastic stuff Dirty Walt, we love you!

Those Days Are Gone: Nobody but me likes this song.

Sunless Saturday: An absolutely flawless closer. Fabulous energy and writing. One of my favorite solos of all time concludes this track and it happens to be a trumpet solo. It’s epic, a touch sad, but leaves you with a sense of hope.

Really looking forward to your thoughts on this wild ride I invite you to take.

All my love,

SYN
:syngates:

redlipsofdeceit

Local Dive Bar Favorite
Contest Winner!
  • Oct 21, 2020
    Brazil
    www.instagram.com
    Yessss! You have no idea how anxious I was for another AOTM rec. Thank youuuuu. My day just got better!
    Never listened to them before, so I'll do it and come back with my thoughts!
    I love you! ❤

For this months #AOTM we are partying with the one and only, Fishbone, for their masterpiece of groove and chaos that is, The Reality Of My Surroundings.

This is yet another band that was introduced to me by The Rev. Unlike others, I instantly fell in love with this one and was quickly drawn to this record above their others. That’s saying a lot because to me, they’re all brilliant.

Fishbone is an all African American funk, punk, ska, heavy rock band from LA that like Avenged, formed in high school as friends and even two brothers, bassist John Norwood Fisher and drummer Phil “Fish” Fisher. These two musicians are nothing short of brilliant to me.

This record is is the culmination of insane feel, vision, and ambition, colliding at a Big Bang level with amazing songwriting and production. This album is as eclectic as it gets while somehow maintaining an unmistakable continuity.

John Bigham and Kendall Jones’ guitar solos are chaotic but soulful, melodic but expressive. These two can shred as hard as they can groove.

Favorite tracks-

Fight The Youth: Their opening track epitomizes probably my favorite genre of music when executed well, Funk Rock. It’s heavy, it grooves, the solos are insane, and the songwriting is rad.

So Many Millions: Not the best song melodically, in fact, it’s quite out there but this a notable mention simply for the drum groove. Incredible.

Housework: This song is what Fishbone does best. This song is fucking fun. Funky, high energy, and a genius tag “Do the housework” with dare I say, a slightly Synyster vibe???:syn-x:

Pray To The Junkie Maker: This is a classic. Angelo Moore’s vocal is absolutely perfect. The songwriting and lyrics are brilliant. Reggae with a twist.

Everyday Sunshine: Uplifting, brilliantly written, and perfectly executed. The group vocals throughout only complement and never convolute. They essentially have 3 main vocalists in Angelo Moore(sax), Chris Dowd(keys and bones), and Kendall Jones(guitar). They complete the track with a gospel style double time where they trade vocal lines. “Dirty” Walter Kibby(trumpet) contributes a couple grunts and screams as well. Fantastic stuff Dirty Walt, we love you!

Sunless Saturday: An absolutely flawless closer. Fabulous energy and writing. One of my favorite solos of all time concludes this track and it happens to be a trumpet solo. It’s epic, a touch sad, but leaves you with a sense of hope.

All my love,

SYN

• Love
    Reactions: Syn Gates

Daniel Sobota

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    Dubrovnik, Croatia
    Another AOTM, another band I haven't listened! 😂 I've heard of these guys because of you before (the making of Sunny D, where the guys from Fishbone do the horn section for the song), but I didn't listen to them yet.

I have to get out of my fucking comfort zone, geez haha.

EDIT: Ok, Fight the Youth is a banger. Love the drum groove and the fills. And I love the solo panning out from left to right.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Gabby Heafy

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    I took a listen before going to bed(it may or may not be a good idea to do that) and I love it. The grooves are killer and I literally couldn't sit still while listening to it. Also would like to say there are some nice vocal harmonies at places and I'm a sucker for those!

Favourite songs
    Fight The youth-gave me a bit of an extreme vibe and I absolutely love pronografitti so I digger this one a lot!

So many millions-I absolutely love the bit in the middle where it's instrumental and more a focus on the trumpet and when the vocals come back in there's a lead guitar in the back with I think a choir in the background as well. Should be chaotic but sounds killer!

Housework-the best way to describe this one for me is the inner dialogue that went on in my head. 'it's time for bed' *housework comes on* 'NO IT ISN'T, LET'S PARTY!' 'there's a lockdown' 'ooh yeah, well you'll have to make up for that later' basically it took me back to a la pegatina concert I visited a couple years back and I had a great time

Junkies player - didgeridoo nuff said

Pray For The Junkie maker - it kinda gives me happy vibes. Me likes happy vibes and overall just a nice chill song

Everyday Sunshine - I dig the trumpets in this, the organ and the vocal harmonies are incredible as well! The tempo change towards the end just finished it all off

Naz-tee May'en - vocal harmonies, vocal harmonies everywhere. Also an incredible groove which makes me want to dance.

Sunless Saturday - just sounds like a killer hard rock song to me. Again vocal harmonies and that keyboard doing the arpeggios sound killer. It also has a killer guitar solo with some shredding but exactly the right amount. That little phaser effect towards the end is a nice touch too. The trumpet solo is kind of a perfect ending of the record

I did ready enjoy this record very much!

Synner Endless Summer Collection

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    It's a rule?
    this wild ride I invite you to take.

(keys and bones)
    What's that instrument?

I heard of this band, but not heard this band. I heard 1 song just now, really liked it.
    Going to listen to it in the morning/afternoon, lately I've been paying attention to lyrics.
    Been helping me with my speech some, still got trouble with the S
    Do I remove the comma before but? I got nervous
    :skull:

Gabby Heafy

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Apr 5, 2020
    www.instagram.com

Favorite tracks-

All my love,

SYN
    We finally have album of the month! Yes! ♥️🤘🤘 Surely it will be a very good recommendation and also another band that made you know the rev ♥️. Obviously I will take this wild trip to listen to this album that I have never heard before and tell my thoughts!! Thank you for your recommendations!! I loved your details about the album! I love you!! 🖤

Last edited:

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
    Staff member
    Legend+
    Fucking Legend
    Nov 11, 2019
    Saw these guys live back in the late 80s with the original line-up. Their show was as good as their music - and their music was flawless. I believe I had the Truth and Soul album - which was before this one. I must be honest and admit that I have not heard this album. Flying out to Cali tomorrow to visit the fam and I will listen on the plane. My notes will follow.

redlipsofdeceit

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Contest Winner!
  • Oct 21, 2020
    Brazil
    www.instagram.com
    I'm back with my notes. I'll definitely listen to it again, 'cause I think there's a lot of greatness that you can't just realize with only one listening! Anyway, here are my thoughts:

A lot of things in this album reminded me of Mr Bungle. The vocals sometimes reminded me of Patton's crazy vocals. Sooooo good! Like with Primus, the bass stands out for me. I usually am not a great fan of ska, but this band has some heavy elements blended together, that caught my attention, for sure!

The songs I liked the most:
    Fight The Youth – such a great song to open an album! As funky as it can get! Feels like a punch in the face!
    The percussion in Asswhippin' is so gooood. I live in a state of Brazil that has a lot of African heritage, and we have an AMAZING percussion group called Olodum (that has recorded with Sepultura and Michael Jackson) and this reminded me instantly of them.
    Behavior Control Technician – the high notes the singer can hit 🔥 and the guitar in this one in particular, I really like it
    Pressuer – the one that reminded me the most of Mr Bungle.
    Junkies Prayer – interesting gospel-like emulation, even though the lyrics aren't that holy lol
    Pray To The Junkiemaker – this reggae approach makes me feel like I'm at the beach, on a weekend, here where I live
    Those Days Are Gone – you're so wrong about the “no one likes this but me"; I loved this song! Who's crazy enough not to even like it?! The lyrics are awesome, and so is the guitar solo.
    Sunless Saturday – I think this one is my fav from the whole album; I loved everything about it. Absolutely perfection, especially the final part.

This kind of groovy sound really gets me. I grew up in a culture heavily African-influenced, and hearing this group’s music was somehow a very familiar feeling, yet I had never listened to them before. Another great recommendation; I wouldn't expect anything less from you! Thank you for sharing another treasure with us! Much love! ❤

• Love

ari.mac

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 16, 2020
    Italy
    And...didn't know this band either 😂😂
    They are definitely something else!! I had so much fun listening to this record 🙌 my personal favourites are:

"Houswork" - it's one of that song that will stay in my head for a long time after listening to it and probably will have the urge to sing it at the most random moments 😂 so much fun!!

"Behavior Control Technician" - really enjoyed this song, the music gave me a sort of heavy but at the same time happy vibe. While the lyrics on this are def heavy to me and really well written. Overall loved it.

"Pray For the Junkiemaker" - again, gave me a happy and fun vibe, but the lyrics have some strong content and are beautifully written.

"Everyday Sunshine" - Just loved it. Music and vocals absolutely 100/100 🤩🤩

"Naz-Tee May'en" - so groovy and the vocal harmonies were so good!!

"Sunless Saturday" - If I had to pick absolute favourite out of the album, it would probably be this. Killer guitar solo and the trumpet at the end is a perfect ending to both the song and the album 🙌🙌

Edit: forgot to mention "Fight the Youth". A banger! Loved the drums and guitar solo!

In conclusion, this whole album is a total YES and added to my playlist 🤘🤘🤘🤘
    Thank you Syn for this recommendation 🖤 and happy weekend 💫💫💫

Last edited:

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Flying out to Cali tomorrow
    Sounds nice, me too one day.

I looked up a stride - hand video for the piano. Did the basics a bit, it's going pretty well I think. I tried doing the count to 7 and going, it works. I can't really play chords yet and switching the lower notes still requires sight, like if trying to start on the 3rd note for each position.
    A bit off topic. Thanks for indirectly helping me and others. I'm getting better but don't know what to do now. Been practicing smiling, wow it's so hard to do it for long. It's been affecting my surroundings :D

Have a nice trip PG!

Syn Gates

🦾
    Staff member
    Legend+
    Sep 18, 2019
    Huntington Beach
    It's a rule?

What's that instrument?

I heard of this band, but not heard this band. I heard 1 song just now, really liked it.
    Going to listen to it in the morning/afternoon, lately I've been paying attention to lyrics.
    Been helping me with my speech some, still got trouble with the S
    Do I remove the comma before but? I got nervous
    :skull:
    Trombones

Gabby Heafy

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Apr 5, 2020
    www.instagram.com
    Here are my thoughts, I just finished listening to the whole album! I don't know this band but I honestly enjoyed it so much. The Rev had a very interesting music taste!! 🖤 🖤 🙌

My favorite songs for me:

Fight the young:
    so Powerful! I couldn't help but start dancing while I listening it! Lol!. I loved the guitar to the rhythm of their voices and those drum beats! Wow i really loved them!💞

Housework : A lot of energy, I really enjoyed it!!. I loved the part of the song "I feel like I'm going to work every day, but where I work I don't get paid" lol!. The Melody is unique. 100/100! 💫

Pray to Junkiemaker : I really like reggae, and this song has everything and the purest!.. The voices are amazing they intertwine creating different harmonies. I loved it!

Everyday Sunshine: I found this song just perfect! Lots of power from vocals and instruments! That saxophone and trumpet mixed up really well! I've heard this song several times! ✨

Babyhead : I really liked the drums almost at the end of the song, it sounds very intense and mixed with their voices. i really liked it!!

Those days are gone : Honestly I don't understand how nobody likes this song!! I really liked it!!.. Their vocals sounds different from the other songs, creating so many distortions. I Loved the drums and guitar, they intertwine very well!. I liked this part of the lyrics "We take a lot of lives, we're like a powerful hurricane , We bring destruction, and we cause contempt" and I'll highlight that epic guitar solo. Hands down!🙌

Sunless Saturday: My favorite with no doubt!.. very well executed!, lots of energy!! The guitar is perfectly amazing with that trumpet gives it a special touch! this song goes straight to my playlist!!! Totally in love with this song.💞

Thank you so much @Syn Gates for your another brilliant recommendation!, as Mr Bungle, Primus and this fabulous album! . I love listening to other styles of music, expanding my musical culture much more. Thank you for reading and always being the best with us!! Te amo un monton!!! Have a beautiful weekend!! Stay safe!! 💞🙌

Last edited:
    • Love

redlipsofdeceit

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Contest Winner!
  • Oct 21, 2020
    Brazil
    www.instagram.com
    I was reading about the band and, during my research, I found out there's a documentary from 2010 that tells the story of Fishbone. It's called "Everyday Sunshine: The Story Of Fishbone". It has interviews with a lot of their friends, including our beloved Les Claypool and the AMAZING drummer Questlove! And I read that their guitarist Kendall Jones left the band and joined a cult after that, believing that his former bandmates were like Devil's spawns. 😳
    Anyway, have you watched it, @Syn Gates?
    I'm gonna try and see if I can find it online. I gotta watch this gem!

iridecently

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Jun 5, 2020
    Groningen
    Finished listening to this album and I really enjoyed it. I liked the second half of the album especially, where it shifts to a more upbeat and cheerful tone, which provides an interesting contrast to the subject of the lyrics. I definitely got a bit of a Mr. Bungle feel now and again, but I just loved the mashup of funk, ska, soul, punk and everything in between. It also really reminded me of Tom Caruana's Jimi Hendrix & Wu Tang Clan Mashup album called Black Gold (link here for those interested).
    My favorite tracks of the album are Pray to the Junkiemaker, Everyday Sunshine and Sunless Saturday. Definitely went into this thinking I'd like this album, but didn't think I'd enjoy it this much. Thank you for the great suggestion!