• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

The Seven Positions of a Major Scale – Third Position – Lesson 54

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    I got the first 3 positions kind of memorized. I attempted to change things up like on some of the tips, so I tried hammer/pull-offs and string skipping in particular. I was working a little on playing up and down one string as well. I was coming up with more ways to practice it as well, but towards the end I lost steam. I'll have to review all these positions again to make sure I don't forget. My playing is improving very much. TYVM

chris_is_cool

Hot Topic Tourer
    Apr 18, 2020
    Cologne, Germany
    I got the first 3 positions kind of memorized. I attempted to change things up like on some of the tips, so I tried hammer/pull-offs and string skipping in particular. I was working a little on playing up and down one string as well. I was coming up with more ways to practice it as well, but towards the end I lost steam. I'll have to review all these positions again to make sure I don't forget. My playing is improving very much. TYVM

Awesome, keep it up! (y)
    I would suggest, before you start with more fancy ways to get through the scale, practice it to a metronome, at whatever speed is comfortable. Do that for all the exercises, simple up/down, string skipping, etc...

Reactions: William B.

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Awesome, keep it up! (y)
    I would suggest, before you start with more fancy ways to get through the scale, practice it to a metronome, at whatever speed is comfortable. Do that for all the exercises, simple up/down, string skipping, etc...
    Yeah, I'll keep trying. I knew I couldn't do the stuff I did with a metronome yet, the reason I recorded this without. Thanks for keeping me on my toes :D
    I have a habit of trying to go too fast. Been trying to slow down, a bit difficult sometimes.

Reactions: chris_is_cool

SimonEichinger

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 18, 2019
    Austria
    www.instagram.com
    I honestly wouldn‘t play to a metronome yet.
    Come up with a lick in one scale position and try playing it in all the other ones!
    Also try moving around horizontally from one scale position to another from wherever you‘re at.
    Yes, it‘ll be confusing and tedious, but trial and error is THE key to process! ;-)

SimonEichinger

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 18, 2019
    Austria
    www.instagram.com
    Come up with a lick in one scale position and try playing it in all the other ones!
    Also try moving around horizontally from one scale position to another from wherever you‘re at.
    Yes, it‘ll be confusing and tedious, but trial and error is THE key to process! ;-)
    @William Byerley

Synner Endless Summer Collection

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Thanks, I recently stumbled onto that. It's still a bit difficult and slow, but I'm getting the idea with that same lick move around idea. You clarified it a bit more for me. I'll try to practice that specifically sometime.