• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

The speed trick that isn't talked about enough

Dan Shipway

Slim Shady
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Hey guys,
    I came across a video recently with a trick to build up speed that is an amazing trick which I have done for years, There are 3 main steps
    Slow the song down and learn the notes, Make sure they are clear and ring out properly. Do this until the song speed is around 75%.
    Jump to a speed faster than 100 %. Your playing may be sloppy but this is not an issue
    Play it at 100% speed, doing this after playing it faster than 100% will trick you into thinking it is slower than it actually is and makes playing a lot easier!

J

Jak Angelescu

Holy shit. It’s like the King Kai training method from Dragon Ball Z. You train with 75 extra pounds on. Then by the time you take it off you’re 1093409238420398 times faster and stronger.
    This is amazing and I never thought about it! Going to try it out for sure!

Firsty Lasty

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    I don’t think it makes sense to push for speed unless two things are true- #1 you are fully comfortable with what you’re playing (no clumsiness), and #2 you’re focusing on exactly one small thing to improve at a time. It would be completely wrong to try blasting through a long complicated multi-phrase passage at 120% speed, in my humble opinion of course. Pushing your limits with just three or four notes at a time is more rewarding.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    I wouldnt do this until I was 100% I was confident in my techniques. That may push into more sloppiness.. resulting in more frustration and confidence and even going back you’ll struggle. Gain your confidence before pushing the speed. Its 100% effective.. but yeah I dunno if I’d wanna train myself that way if I wasnt sure I was doing it right.

Synner Endless Summer Collection