• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

The Stage guitar scale and Theory

Moonrunner

Campfire Attention Holder
Nov 11, 2019
Galicia
twitter.com
So I've been practicing over The Stage, I always thought the song was in E harmonic Minor. But I noticed some scales changing, like sometimes it's E harmonic minor, sometimes it's E minor.

For instance, the intro its E harmonic minor ( E, F#, G, A, B, C, D#). Later in the verse, they're using E minor chord to Eb minor chord.. (I think it may be some chromatic Idea that sounded good).
The Guitar Solo I thought was in E harmonic, but has a D, not D#... so that would be an E minor natural ( E, F#, G, A, B, C, D).

Finally, the outro uses this chord progression ---> Em, Fmaj7(#11), Dm, B7.
I dont know which music scale that proggesion could belong to... It has an F, so it cannot be E harmonic minor, neither E minor, It oughta be E phygian.
Also, the solo guitar on the outro resolves doing this: B -->C(b5, no 3)/A--> Em(harmonics on 12 fret).
Video showing which 3 chords i mean, note the R side guitar

So yeah... I am kinda lost... I know some theory but I´m missing something, maybe some scale transpose, or some other way of naming scales.
May I ask if some of you guys figured out what Avenged Sevenfold is doing on this song? I´m sorry if this sounds like some gibberish, I need to learn to express myself better hahaha, anyways, take care during this times, cheers.

• Love
Reactions: Anthony Peña

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
I'll go through it tonight, haven't played it for a while. The only thing I can tell you it's an Eb major in the verse(the Arpeggios in the last solo give that one away a bit)

I did do a harmony analysis of the stage I think, maybe check that out too

Reactions: Moonrunner

Moonrunner

Nov 11, 2019
Galicia
twitter.com
I'll go through it tonight, haven't played it for a while. The only thing I can tell you it's an Eb major in the verse(the Arpeggios in the last solo give that one away a bit)

I did do a harmony analysis of the stage I think, maybe check that out too
Thank you very much! I appreciate the effort! I'm gonna check that video analysis

Last edited:

Bellah83

Nov 11, 2019
Fort Worth Tx
So I've been practicing over The Stage, I always thought the song was in E harmonic Minor. But I noticed some scales changing, like sometimes it's E harmonic minor, sometimes it's E minor.

For instance, the intro its E harmonic minor ( E, F#, G, A, B, C, D#). Later in the verse, they're using E minor chord to Eb minor chord.. (I think it may be some chromatic Idea that sounded good).
The Guitar Solo I thought was in E harmonic, but has a D, not D#... so that would be an E minor natural ( E, F#, G, A, B, C, D).

Finally, the outro uses this chord progression ---> Em, Fmaj7(#11), Dm, B7.
I dont know which music scale that proggesion could belong to... It has an F, so it cannot be E harmonic minor, neither E minor, It oughta be E phygian.
Also, the solo guitar on the outro resolves doing this: B -->C(b5, no 3)/A--> Em(harmonics on 12 fret).
Video showing which 3 chords i mean, note the R side guitar

So yeah... I am kinda lost... I know some theory but I´m missing something, maybe some scale transpose, or some other way of naming scales.
May I ask if some of you guys figured out what Avenged Sevenfold is doing on this song? I´m sorry if this sounds like some gibberish, I need to learn to express myself better hahaha, anyways, take care during this times, cheers.
I read somewhere that The Stage was 3 songs that they ended up mashing together so maybe that's the confusing part as to the changes.

Moonrunner

Nov 11, 2019
Galicia
twitter.com
Thank you very much! I appreciate the effort! I'm gonna check your video analysis

I read somewhere that The Stage was 3 songs that they ended up mashing together so maybe that's the confusing part as to the changes.
I didn't knew that. they did an amazing job mashing those together

Reactions: Bellah83
Synner Endless Summer Collection

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
Woopsie, I did a .exe there, it's E Dorian not phrygian. There's no C# in E phrygian.

There also only own little bit where it's used which is really cool because C# is the 6th giving it more of a gypsy jazz flavour.

I think I'm gonna get ready for bed now 😅

• Love

Moonrunner

Nov 11, 2019
Galicia
twitter.com
Scales in the first solo are E harmonic minor, E natural minor, E Dorian, C diminished,

Second solo: E natural minor, G phrygian

Last solo are pretty much arpeggios
Wow, that was quick! Thank you so much!
I do need to improve a lot of music theory, I'm astonished by your abilities dude!
Tomorrow I'll dig into those and try to recognize which scale is playing in which part, again thank you!
Goodnight

Reactions: idssdi