• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

The student becomes the teacher

Jeremy Healey

Hot Topic Tourer
Legend+
Legend
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Newfoundland and Labrador
    Hey all!

So recently a friend of mine asked if I was able to teach her son guitar! And of course I agreed! Only thing is I’ve never formally taught someone music, I’ve only ever been the student (mostly piano). So I pose this question for anyone who has insight.

Where would be a good place to start other than explaining the different parts of the guitar and how to hold a pick lol?
    I plan on following along with the beginner lessons here on the school and such, but any tips is greatly appreciated 🙌🏻

megalizzie

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Legend
  • Nov 11, 2021
    Virginia
    hello! I’ve only ever taught violin, so take this with several grains of salt 😂
    If I’m teaching an older kid, we do more classical, “typical violin” pieces.
    If it’s a younger teen they tend to be more resistant, and they want to play music they know (I had to teach a 12 year old to play a Drake song, which we soon discovered had five notes total in a four minute track). So it kind of depends on the kid! They’ll enjoy playing whatever music they like listening to.
    When I was tiny, my dad just taught me three chords and let me go wild with them, and I eventually found that I could play several songs with just three chords. So you could find some songs that have the same few chords and go through those, then introduce a new chord, etc.
    Good luck! Keep us updated!

Upvote 0

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
    Staff member
    Legend+
    Fucking Legend
    Nov 11, 2019
    This site is set up as more of an encyclopedia or dictionary of theory and technique. There is no practical "application" here - yet.
    I find when teaching one on one, it's best to find what your student is interested in. Then, teach him that in the simplest terms possible. You can sprinkle in the theory as you go.
    If your student is into metal - start with power chords and then add in some palm muting. If it's indie, start with some easy chords - G,D,C - and teach them the indie song of their choice.
    In other words - get them hooked by playing something they love. Something simple.
    MAKE IT FUN! There is no better feeling than playing a song that actually sounds like the song you're trying to play. It's empowering.
    It's a bit like starting with dessert. As your student improves, you can start sprinkling in vegetables; names of strings, etc.

Good luck!
    pg

Upvote 0

Lindsey

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    www.instagram.com
    Hey all!

So recently a friend of mine asked if I was able to teach her son guitar! And of course I agreed! Only thing is I’ve never formally taught someone music, I’ve only ever been the student (mostly piano). So I pose this question for anyone who has insight.

Where would be a good place to start other than explaining the different parts of the guitar and how to hold a pick lol?
    I plan on following along with the beginner lessons here on the school and such, but any tips is greatly appreciated 🙌🏻
    I taught my cousins guitar recently, they had never touched a guitar before.
    I taught them a few basic riffs as an introduction. It's a good idea to play a basic rhythm first and make them play along on the open e string. Just 1 2 3 4 and build it up till they feel like they're playing music. I used power chords for this. They also learned, D, Am, and a two note version from C and G. They'll probably like it they can play along with a simple song or recognise a melody. I don't think the beginner song lists you find online for first timers but I've managed to find a few simple songs.
    The songs I taught them, that I remember:
    Born in the usa, simple melody, two powerchords.
    HIM - Please don't let it go

I got good advice in this threat https://synner.com/threads/how-do-i-teach-someome-play-guitar.5753/#post-57655

Upvote 0

RmanSL96

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 23, 2021
    El Salvador
    I once tried to teach my younger sister and her friend. The one thing that really worked for me was asking them what song they wanted to play and started teaching around that. For example, the chords in the song, how to tune the guitar, some easy arpeggios... I think it's a way to get new students hooked, so they want to learn more and more!

Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Mauro FILHO

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Nov 11, 2019
    Hey all!

start from the begginig, look at the notes on the guitar, and show the intervals

Upvote 0