• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Theoretical Key???

Meezy Chaos

Free Bird Player
Apr 8, 2022
Cincinnati
So I was messing around in BandLab today with the AI generator and the project was generated in G# Major. I have a notebook full of the notes and chords for scales but I haven't done the # scales yets so i googled it and it came up with this: "G-Sharp major is a theoretical key based on the musical note G#, consisting of the pitches G#, A#, B#, C#, D#, E#, and F" I was taught in class that B# and E# don't exist, so how would they be in G# Major?

Reactions: Chris Johnston
Solution
Great topic Meezy!

The G# Major Scale is the same scale (to the ear) as the Ab Major Scale - it's all depending on how you choose to spell it.

Ab Major: Ab Bb C Db Eb F G

As you can see, Ab is much easier to spell as there are no B#'s (really C) and no E#'s (really F).

The only difference between G# Major and Ab Major is how you 'Theoretically' spell them. And G# Major happens as a result of using '#' spelling instead of 'b' spelling.

So really if you take any flat key and try to spell it with sharps (or vice versa) you should get it's Theoretical Equivalent 😊 A Theoritical Key is any key that has a Double Sharp or Double Flat( G# Maj has the F double Sharp)

It's all just a fun way to think of things though really - you really...

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    Great topic Meezy!

The G# Major Scale is the same scale (to the ear) as the Ab Major Scale - it's all depending on how you choose to spell it.

Ab Major: Ab Bb C Db Eb F G

As you can see, Ab is much easier to spell as there are no B#'s (really C) and no E#'s (really F).

The only difference between G# Major and Ab Major is how you 'Theoretically' spell them. And G# Major happens as a result of using '#' spelling instead of 'b' spelling.

So really if you take any flat key and try to spell it with sharps (or vice versa) you should get it's Theoretical Equivalent 😊 A Theoritical Key is any key that has a Double Sharp or Double Flat( G# Maj has the F double Sharp)

It's all just a fun way to think of things though really - you really dont want to be that guy who describes Afterlife as being in 'C## minor' 😂 The Theoretical Key exists but it's just not practical to think of the Notes/Chord names in that way.

Ps. This kinda shows how the AI can generate something that is technically correct to describe but can be impractical for a real world human etc👌

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
    Solution

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    Thank you so much for explaining this, I should have known better than to look at Wikipedia for a reference :ROFLMAO: The b and # thing always screwed with me in band class and i guess it carries on the tradition of screwing with me now that the semester is over haha.
    Haha, no worries! I looked up Wikipedia to double check the Definition so it has its uses 😂 Yeah the # b spelling can be confusing at first. There was a video/practice technique that helped me get it, I'll find it and post it in this thread for you 👌

Upvote 0