• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

theory behind syn's solos

SentineL

New Student
Jun 18, 2020
hello everyone i ve been playing live gigs as solo guitarist for a not really long while as a self taught, i can apply the most main guitar theory basics-inters to my improv or written solos live but i dont really have a great knowladge of the really advanced guitar theory material and i want to apply fast shred licks like syn's iconic licks. i dont have any problem with the speed i can practice for 2-3 days max and play his solos as long as i have tabs but i want to apply these mostly to my improv solos and i cant figure out the theory behind his overall solos or licks with my analysis alone like what scales he use and what type of chord progressions behind it makes them sound perfect. Can anyone with a good grasp on these matters help me out with the example of Scream solo ?

Al7eX

Local Dive Bar Favorite
Apr 16, 2022
Syn’s solos are a little complicated working with the chord progression but are Mainly work with chromatic scale and shredding it. Also Avenged Sevenfold chord progressions mostly use the b5 Tritone chord. In scream it is, I - ii* - bVI - bv or Dm - Edim - Bb - Abm. So in scream he shreds the notes of all the chords while adding the b5 to it and once the flat 5th came up he did chromatics with the flat 5th as the note on top. Hope this makes sense to you if it doesn’t I can explain more but this is all I got right now. 🤘

Upvote 0

SentineL

New Student
Jun 18, 2020
Syn’s solos are a little complicated working with the chord progression but are Mainly work with chromatic scale and shredding it. Also Avenged Sevenfold chord progressions mostly use the b5 Tritone chord. In scream it is, I - ii* - bVI - bv or Dm - Edim - Bb - Abm. So in scream he shreds the notes of all the chords while adding the b5 to it and once the flat 5th came up he did chromatics with the flat 5th as the note on top. Hope this makes sense to you if it doesn’t I can explain more but this is all I got right now. 🤘
this definitely put me in a direction thank you 🤘

• Love
Reactions: Al7eX
Upvote 0