• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

This has been bothering me

Status
Not open for further replies.

marc2000z

Free Bird Player
Apr 29, 2020
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Unpopular opinions:

I don't like Evanescence. They just never did anything for me. I always preferred Lacuna Coil and Within Temptation whenever it comes to that alternative sounding gothic-rock/metal sound, but I will say this: Amy Lee is a great singer and I can't deny the influence she made on modern rock music.

I can't stand DragonForce. All speed and no substance. There are way better bands in the power metal genre than them (see: Angra, Helloween, Unleash the Archers, Sonata Arctica, etc.)

Dave Matthews Band is the most overrated artist/band in history. I just don't understand how he's so popular: 7 consecutive #1 albums on the Billboard 200 chart, was the top nominee for the RockHall (and then thankfully snubbed by the committee), etc.

I despise pop country (aka "Bro Country") except for the Zac Brown Band; his music is actually listenable.

Reactions: Ed Seith

Augusto Abreu

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Brazil
Why is it so bad to not like something popular? For instance, I do not like the music of Queen. I have listened to their whole discography and I just don't like it. But when I tell someone that, I might as well have said I like to kick puppies because apparently that makes me uncultured swine who doesn't know good music. God forbid I have a different opinion than the masses. I see it in Avenged facebook fan groups too. As much as I love Avenged, I can't get into the album Sounding the Seventh Trumpet. I've tried. I really have. And of course it's no disrespect to the guys, it's just not my thing. But if I express that sentiment, people say I don't know good music, why are you even in this group if you're not noa true fan, etc. But these same people will rake HTTK over the coals. And clearly I do know good music because I like all their other albums. It bothers me that people just can't accept differing opinions on music. Had to get that out.
unfortunatly, a good chunk of the rock/metal community is super losed minded and toxic. Too fanatic to accept different opnions =/ you either worship some bands, or they attack you. this seems to be even more comum with classical rock bands, such queen (as you mentioned), led zeppelin, pink floyd, acdc, etc... according to some ppl you just HAVE to like them for whatever reason and damn you if you dont.

Reactions: redlipsofdeceit

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
Staff member
Legend+
Fucking Legend
Nov 11, 2019
I'm honestly surprised this got this much attention. I was just venting. Lol. But it's awesome to read everyone's responses on it. I also wish people wouldn't be ashamed of the music they listened to when they were younger. I loved New Kids on the Block, Backstreet Boys and The Spice Girls when I was young and I'm not ashamed to admit it. Thanks for reminding me that there are non elitists in the world. And for the record, I fucking LOVE Barry Manilow. Fight me. :LOL:
I've seen Barry twice. The first time was not because of Barry. (I knew somebody in the band). Ended up being one of the BEST shows I have ever witnessed. The 2nd time was his Christmas show in 2019. Took my wife who is a big fan. Still amazing. His songs are memorable and he has a million hits. You could sing along with every song. And he is completely charming on stage. Funny, I wasn't a Barry fan when he was big in the 70s - but I am now. Go figure.

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
Staff member
Legend+
Fucking Legend
Nov 11, 2019
I'll give you that part, but it short-sells their real talent and accomplishment. Plus @Brian Haner Sr. will shit a kidney if he reads that.
Ha!

The Beatles don't have to be liked, but they should be respected for pushing musical boundaries. There are bands who are incredibly great, but don't really change the musical landscape. The Eagles come to mind. The Beatles changed music forever. Love them or hate them, their contributions are undeniable.

Bottom line: I don't put much stock in what people like or don't like. Some people hate Shakespeare, DaVinci and Mozart.
When someone says "I don't like The Beatles". It doesn't bother me. They might as well tell me they don't like tomatoes.
It's simply their personal taste.
It has nothing to with me.

redlipsofdeceit

Local Dive Bar Favorite
Contest Winner!
  • Oct 21, 2020
    Brazil
    www.instagram.com
    I always felt like an alien because I don't like The Beatles and, every time I would say it, I would get that weird look hahaha I can respect what they did for the music world, and I even listened to the Abbey Road rec that Syn posted a few months ago, trying to put my feelings for them aside and actually pay attention to the songs. I think it's all about respect and being rational. You don't have to like something in order to respect it. And you don't have to bash people because of their music taste.

Reactions: Iris

redlipsofdeceit

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Contest Winner!
  • Oct 21, 2020
    Brazil
    www.instagram.com
    unfortunatly, a good chunk of the rock/metal community is super losed minded and toxic. Too fanatic to accept different opnions =/ you either worship some bands, or they attack you. this seems to be even more comum with classical rock bands, such queen (as you mentioned), led zeppelin, pink floyd, acdc, etc... according to some ppl you just HAVE to like them for whatever reason and damn you if you dont.
    I don't like AC/DC. I've tried to, but I can't. Their songs all sound the same to me. Once, I put on their Live at River Plate DVD and I fell asleep because I felt so bored; I tried to watch it again later and, again, I fell asleep.
    Also Slayer. I've been to one of their concerts and I honestly felt like I was hearing the same song being played for 1 hour straight.
    :syn-x:

Reactions: Augusto Abreu
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Iris

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Oct 14, 2020
    Everett, Washington
    I've seen Barry twice. The first time was not because of Barry. (I knew somebody in the band). Ended up being one of the BEST shows I have ever witnessed. The 2nd time was his Christmas show in 2019. Took my wife who is a big fan. Still amazing. His songs are memorable and he has a million hits. You could sing along with every song. And he is completely charming on stage. Funny, I wasn't a Barry fan when he was big in the 70s - but I am now. Go figure.
    I'm jealous. I would love to see Barry.

Reactions: Brian Haner Sr.

chris_is_cool

Hot Topic Tourer
    Apr 18, 2020
    Cologne, Germany
    I hate mushrooms. Any food containing mushrooms is instantly gross to me. Would be so weird, if I personally attacked people who like mushrooms, right? :ROFLMAO:

At the same time, music fans are usually a lot more passionate about their favorite music than the average person is about food. Music can speak to us on an emotional level, food does not (well, most of the time, Pizza absolutely does 🍕😍). So I'm not that surprised that this emotional connection also goes the other way, if someone seems to "insult" your favorite band, you might be quicker to feel insulted yourself. 🤷‍♂️

In the end it is just important to remember, that it would be super boring if everyone liked the same things, the same food, the same music, the same attributes in sexual partners, etc...

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Ok, so reading through a bunch of the comments this morning I noticed something. I'm a huge Beatles fan and I don't expect everybody else to be one too but at the same time comments like 'they are a 60s boyband' do piss me off because it sells them short by like a lot and that's the perfect example of not respecting somebody else's preference because it is in fact to a degree diminishing their talent and musicianship which you should never do regardless of whether you like an artist or not.

The Beatles write all their own songs, theirs a distinct difference in music landscape when comparing pre-beatles and post-Beatles (intro-verse-chorus-verse-bridge-chorus Is only the surface of that), they revolutionized audio recording(look up abbey road doubler for example) and besides that they did soo much more than write pop songs (Hey Jude is not a boyband' song, it's actually written for John Lennon's son when John and his first wife were getting a divorce)

To understand how important the Beatles are go through these please

In short saying things like the Beatles is just a 60s boyband is a prime example of how to not let other people know you don't like a band because that phrase probably is among the biggest bunch of crap I've ever heard in my life

Last edited:

Daniel Sobota

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    Dubrovnik, Croatia
    Ok, so reading through a bunch of the comments this morning I noticed something. I'm a huge Beatles fan and I don't expect everybody else to be one too but at the same time comments like 'they are a 60s boyband' do piss me off because it sells them short by like a lot and that's the perfect example of not respecting somebody else's preference because it is in fact to a degree diminishing their talent and musicianship which you should never do regardless of whether you like an artist or not.

The Beatles write all their own songs, theirs a distinct difference in music landscape when comparing pre-beatles and post-Beatles (intro-verse-chorus-verse-bridge-chorus Is only the surface of that), they revolutionized audio recording(look up abbey road doubler for example) and besides that they did soo much more than write pop songs (Hey Jude is not a boyband' song, it's actually written for John Lennon's son when John and his first wife were getting a divorce)

In short saying things like the Beatles is just a 60s boyband is a prime example of how to not let other people know you don't like a band because that phrase probably is among the biggest bunch of crap I've ever heard in my life
    Dude, it's just a joke haha. Don't take it so seriously. People say A7X are a metal version of boybands and it doesn't bother me at all. Who gives a fuck even if somebody actually thinks that.

Also, how hard you came into their defense is also something fans of boybands do hahahah. If Twitter existed back in the 60's, they would have had crazy teenage girls obsessing over them just like they do with BTS.
    #BeatlesArmy #Beatlemania

Last edited:

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
    Staff member
    Legend+
    Fucking Legend
    Nov 11, 2019
    This thread is great ! However apparently there’s some journey hate. I have a story time for that lol.
    Back in the day, when the Waffle House still had a jukebox, I was very tipsy and shoveling my face full of hashbrowns (as one does at 3am on a Friday night) when some dudes put “don’t stop believing” on and my tipsy ass with cheeks full of food hopped up and started belting it out for all of the Waffle House to hear.

I got a lot of boos.... not sure if it was the journey or the slurred lyrics 😂

luckily though, no fights broke out that night 😉
    GREAT story! And exactly where Journey belongs. On a Waffle House jukebox. ; )

marc2000z

Free Bird Player
    Apr 29, 2020
    Albuquerque, New Mexico

The whole “Beatles are the 60s boyband” comment was more in reference to the female-centric fanbase and their obsession to the band (like you see with many boy bands), not so much to their music.

Obviously their music sounds nothing like One Direction, Backstreet Boys, NSYNC, or groups of that ilk, but The Beatles had a rabid, female-based fanbase that’s similar to those boy bands I mentioned.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Honestly some people are just immature and can’t handle that people can have opinions. I always get attacked for not liking Billie eilish or most female fronted bands. It’s not that I think their horrible it’s just not my thing and I could care less what people listen to. If you like Billie eilish that’s fine with me, just make sure you enjoy it and it’s not forced on you.

most musicians and big music fans won’t care about what you like or dislike. Like jak said syn didn’t care that she didn’t like them when she was younger.

I have a similar situation to that. I watch the drummer of escape the fate on twitch and I told him I’m not even a fan of the band but he’s enjoyable to hang with and he said see to have fun and enjoy my streams you don’t have to be a fan.
    Rob is a cool guy. I'm not a fan of escape the fates new sound but I also feel they changed it to open new crowds cause they saw how popular ONE SONG was. They now are a pop band trying to stay in rock. And the mix just isn't gonna stick imo. But their earlier work i love.

Everything they write now sounds forced to me because of that. It's also just my opinion on the band. Everyone had their own right.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    And here I am thinking he should do both, haha. I feel like some screaming parts in heavier songs would elevate them. And it would create more dynamics when you have clean singing, screaming and everything in between.
    Matt can't even scream the way he used to because eyes changed techniques so many times. I'm pretty sure some of those screams on God hates us all are more then Matt. At first I was sure rev had a take in there I also think Johnny could have too. The scream on the track tho is nothing like Matt's old scream.

Sonits either someone else or Matt changed that too to preserve his voice. And since he had.to basically do it again makes me wonder if he'll even try again this time. You don't need to scream to be heavy. Just like you don't need drop a tuning or a 7 or 8 string.

With that said waking the fallen is my all time favoudite album. And for many of the reasons stated already.

Daniel Sobota

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    Dubrovnik, Croatia
    Matt can't even scream the way he used to because eyes changed techniques so many times. I'm pretty sure some of those screams on God hates us all are more then Matt. At first I was sure rev had a take in there I also think Johnny could have too. The scream on the track tho is nothing like Matt's old scream.

Sonits either someone else or Matt changed that too to preserve his voice. And since he had.to basically do it again makes me wonder if he'll even try again this time. You don't need to scream to be heavy. Just like you don't need drop a tuning or a 7 or 8 string.

With that said waking the fallen is my all time favoudite album. And for many of the reasons stated already.
    Nah, it's all Matt on God Hates Us. It's just that a lot of vocal layering and doubling was done to it to make it more evil sounding. Matt can still scream the way he used to.

You don't need to scream to be heavy, sure, but I prefer my metal rougher on the edges and screams help with conveying that.

Status
    Not open for further replies.