• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

This old guitar.

Little Laguna05

Free Bird Player
Feb 16, 2023
Okay, so my mom’s friend gave her a guitar and it had been in the garage for about ten years and recently I talked to her about it and she had taken it to guitar center to get it restrung and they said they couldn’t do it because something (we don’t remember what it was) was in upside down or backwards and so I said we could figure out what’s wrong and just buy the parts and learn it. So please help me out with this I really want to learn and figure it out. I will send pictures and I will answer any of y’all’s questions and all.

Little Laguna05

Free Bird Player
Feb 16, 2023
image.jpg

• Love
Reactions: William B.
Upvote 0

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Best way to see if that works is plug it into an amp (without strings is fine) and then, as you cycle through the pickup selector (with volume and tone on 10), tap each pickup with a screwdriver or some other magnetic metal. If you can hear the "click" through the amp, the pickup is on and working. Cycle through each of the 5 positions on the switch.

Position 1 (closest to neck): neck pickup only
    Position 2: neck and middle
    Position 3: middle (or possibly all three)
    Position 4: bridge and middle
    Position 5 (closest to input jack): bridge only

If that's backwards, it's just a matter of rotating the switch in the pickguard to make it correct. I still see no reason for GC to turn it away, except that it's GC.

Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Awex Came

Campfire Attention Holder
    Legend
    May 23, 2021
    Looks like the truss rod is messed up? Sticking out of the top. Aside from that, I dont think there’d be anything stopping me from restringing,

Also, I personally refuse to acknowledge a Guitar Center employee as any sort of guitar tech, so maybe consider taking it to someone else

Reactions: Ed Seith
    Upvote 0

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    If it was strung upside down there might be some issues with the nut, but there also might not be. If this were mine, I'd spend the $6 on a set of basic strings (Ernie Ball Slinky for me) and string it up, tune it, and plug it in to see what happens.

This video is specifically for Strats, so it should be more accurate for your guitar than some other videos.

Upvote 0