• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Three finger power cords

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    My husband and I just got into a discussion about three finger power chords.
    I basically brought up how I can flatten my ring ringer to hit two strings perfectly, but thought it was wrong and have been trying to use my pinky instead.

He brought up the fact that Paul Stanley plays his power chords the same way I was doing, and that it’s not “wrong” if you’re hitting the notes and it feels comfortable.

So my question is, do you guys use your pinky or is there anyone else who flattens their ring finger out ?

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    This is how I do it (excuse the chipped polish) lol

Attachments

• B9997AFA-AF5E-49C7-A5D4-956B2C4BD5A2.jpeg
      B9997AFA-AF5E-49C7-A5D4-956B2C4BD5A2.jpeg
      78.6 KB · Views: 139

Donovan Etue

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Washington State
    I'd go with whatever was comfortable for me. I play power chords pretty much only using the index and ring or index and middle. Neither of them are necessarily wrong nor right. Can you play the power chord with your index and ring? Cool! Can you play them with your index, ring, and pinky? Cool! I will say though if you use just your index and ring it does leave room for you to add more notes for more chord options. Whatever works for you without hurting yourself is probably a fine way to go.

Reactions: Alicia Willis

Lucas Weiman

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    It's fine if that is the only thing you are going to use them for, however if you ever want to be able to play 6-string major and minor barre chords you are going to have to use your pinky (since it involves the same shape, but with more notes on the higher strings) otherwise you won't be able to play them with with that flattened (barred) ring finger, so you might want to get started on building that muscle now.... but at the end of the day it's up to you.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    It's fine if that is the only thing you are going to use them for, however if you ever want to be able to play 6-string major and minor barre chords you are going to have to use your pinky (since it involves the same shape, but with more notes on the higher strings) otherwise you won't be able to play them with with that flattened (barred) ring finger, so you might want to get started on building that muscle now.... but at the end of the day it's up to you.
    I think that's an big reason why I was able to transition easily when I started using my pinky more in lead. I also feel the tone sounds different with the pinky over a barred ring.

Andrew Milner

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    andreilucianmoraru.com
    I use 3 fingers. Way more comfortable. May explain why I hate certain CAGED system chord forms so much :LOL:. But as long as it's not damaging your techniques or playing, you can do whatever you want, though as a sort-of bookworm myself, I prefer to do things correctly. Unless it's sweep picking and finger rolling, where all bets are off. My muscle memory is weird for those.

Reactions: Alicia Willis

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Depending on the music, for thrash i do index and pinky. For classic rock, ill use index, ring and pinky just so i can throw in the ocatve note! Just whatever feels comfortable works for me😂
    Good info. I can play with with the ring finger and pinkie, this is just like what feels “natural” to me.
    I was curious if others did this as well.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Sayonil Mitra

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    Alicia I use my pinky, and i find it really impressive that you (and some other guitarists) can actually bend their ring finger to play power chords. But, everyone's body, hands, fingers, comfort level acts and reacts differently. Do what you feel comfortable. eventually, you will face power chords which will force you to involve all 3 fingers - index, ring, pinky. Until then...

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Alicia I use my pinky, and i find it really impressive that you (and some other guitarists) can actually bend their ring finger to play power chords. But, everyone's body, hands, fingers, comfort level acts and reacts differently. Do what you feel comfortable. eventually, you will face power chords which will force you to involve all 3 fingers - index, ring, pinky. Until then...
    Thanks. Kind of what I was thinking. I can play with three fingers but it just seems easier most of the time (especially with the easier things I play) to just flatten out the ring finger. Oddly enough, that’s the only finger I can flatten like that lol. I call it my my wonky finger 😂

• Haha
    Reactions: Sayonil Mitra