• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Thumb position above 12th fret

Lindsey

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    www.instagram.com
    I decided to practice guitar standing up for a change, my back instantly felt better but I stumbled upon another problem when playing arpeggios. I can't seem to play notes above the twelveth fret with my thumb in a comfortable position. No matter how I put it, it either blocks me from reaching towards the notes or doesn't feel right.
    What is the average recommended position I could try out?

Lindsey

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    www.instagram.com
    I like to put my left foot forward and right one diagonal to the right and back slightly.(I'm right handed) Than I try to strike a pose like JC, I try to think of it like a battle stance. There's another one I also like to do, I rest the Body of the Guitar on my hip and point it forward and strike a pose. About past the 12th fret its hard for me too, I have to constantly change my thumb position to get the right notes to ring nicely. I can't play like 17+ on the low E without doing something weird. I sometimes wonder if Jumbo frets help with this. Probably why there isn't many heavy riffs played on the lower strings higher up. (I can't think of any now) Maybe you could tap them. When your alone just imagine your playing a show and everyone loves you. The more you do it the more comfortable it will get.
    I know the battle stance, I used to do that. It needs to make a comeback. I'll pay attention to my entire posture next time.
    Thanks

Reactions: Ed Seith

Lindsey

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    www.instagram.com
    Most of the time my thumb is over the neck(bending stability, base notes, vibrato etc.). I will have to check the specifics when I'm hom.
    I play with my thumb over the neck too, but that's what enabled my fingers to reach to the 15th fret for example. (My neck get's thicker after the 13th fret. My gorilla grip can't help me there.)
    I continued playing and I've held my thumb side ways. It helped but isn't perfect.