Tips and Exercises to help control fingers?

ari.mac

Local Dive Bar Favorite
Legend
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 16, 2020
    Italy
    How in the hell do I control my fingers and keep them near the fretboard??? HOW?!?!? is there some exercise I can do?? I surely got better compared to one year ago, but it's not enough and I can't progress on speed if I don't control that, in both picking and legato. Help 😭😂

Reactions: Alicia Willis

Radu-Cristian Perde

Administrator
    Staff member
    Legend
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    My advice for this is to take it slow and to be patient! But let me explain!

So for your fingers to stay close to the fingerboard, I would advise to choose an exercise or a solo or whatever and to really slow it down to a speed where you can think about what you are doing! Once chosen, you have to take your time and really think about what you are doing because the way you place your fingers and that you execute said part is key to your improvement as you speed things up.

Basically, while you are memorizing and learning a part, put a conscious effort on your finger placement and distance to the fretboard. Practice it until it starts to become easy and you don't need to consciously place your fingers to desire position. Basically, until your finger themselves through muscles memory know exactly what they have to do. And then speed things up and repeat the process.

Patience will play a big part as well because it can take sometime to gather the desire speed to shred or sweep fast but this is the approach I take. Muscle memory makes all the difference for me, hope that helps! :)

Upvote 0

Alicia Willis

Staff member
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Augusta, GA
    I still struggle a bit with this, but an exercise I’ve found that’s helped tremendously is super simple.

Chromatics.

1,2,3,4 across all strings.
    or move it up to any fret really just play the chromatics. So simple you can do it while watching tv. Just make a conscious effort to keep your fingers close.

once that’s a breeze play around with something like
    1,3,2,4 or 2,4,1,3 etc.

It definitely helps the finger independence.

Upvote 0

Adin Shepherd

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Melbourne, Australia
    I still struggle a bit with this, but an exercise I’ve found that’s helped tremendously is super simple.

Chromatics.

or move it up to any fret really just play the chromatics. So simple you can do it while watching tv. Just make a conscious effort to keep your fingers close.

1,3,2,4 or 2,4,1,3 etc.

This video has a couple of very challenging variants of this excercise.

How in the hell do I control my fingers and keep them near the fretboard??? HOW?!?!? is there some exercise I can do?? I surely got better compared to one year ago, but it's not enough and I can't progress on speed if I don't control that, in both picking and legato. Help 😭😂
    youre terrible 🤪

• Angry
    • Sad
    Reactions: Giorgos and ari.mac
    Upvote 0

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019

Chromatics.

1,3,2,4 or 2,4,1,3 etc.

Any exercise that forces you to use all 4 fingers will help. Chromatic are simple good starting ideas.after that is feeling good.. start stretching the fingers. Do a 1 2 3 1 2 4 or a 1 2 4 1 3 4.itll help your pinky stay close and not flop away when you need it most.

• Love
    Reactions: ari.mac
    Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Brian Haner Sr.

Administrator
    Staff member
    Nov 11, 2019

Chromatics.

1,3,2,4 or 2,4,1,3 etc.

This 1000x !!!

Upvote 0