• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Tips for nervousness and anxiety?

Kat the metalhead

Music Theory Bragger
  • Jan 20, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    I thought I would ask if any one had tips for nervousness or anxiety when playing in front of people.

ive been taking online lessons for a bit and I always feel pumped and ready to play and do not feel nervous at all. But when it comes to playing I get stiff and sore and physically can’t play like I feel frozen but in my head I feel good and how I normally do.

any tips to help with this?? It’s driving me absolutely crazy! It makes me seem like a sloppy player who doesn’t practice even though I practice 2 to 3 hours a day.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    It's partly practice really but also for me it's about breathing. Just breathing in and out slowly helps me a lot already. Furthermore, what helps me is just telling myself I got this. Doing anything in front of people requires practice whether it is presenting or playing in front of people, it gets better if you do it more. That's really because if you do it more you start realizing it's not that scary anymore. It doesn't matter in front of who you do it but I do remember that I used to be terrified when I had to give a presentation and 2 years ago I had a blackout during a presentation it was able to bluff myself through it and the prof never noticed(besides the presentation wasn't that great)

In short, doing it more will make it easier. Whether it's a stranger, parent or a friend it really helps.

Forgetabull

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    For me it was more along the lines of people didn't really care if I messed up. If I was doing a chord progression, I also found that people often didn't notice a wrong chord if I kept the rhythm correct and kept going. I found the same when I was jamming with people. What I do find though is I need to warm up before I start playing properly. I do that with chord progressions and some noodling. Maybe if you do some basic chord progressions for like 5 minutes or more before your lesson that may help?

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    It is 100% a self-confidence thing and the only thing that really gets rid of it is repetition. The shitty thing is that if you don't do it regularly, your confidence "resets," too, so even if you played in front of thousands a long time ago, if you haven't in a few years, that stagefright is right there with you again. I know this from experience :).

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Muz Malek

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Singapore
    www.instagram.com
    I thought I would ask if any one had tips for nervousness or anxiety when playing in front of people.

ive been taking online lessons for a bit and I always feel pumped and ready to play and do not feel nervous at all. But when it comes to playing I get stiff and sore and physically can’t play like I feel frozen but in my head I feel good and how I normally do.

any tips to help with this?? It’s driving me absolutely crazy! It makes me seem like a sloppy player who doesn’t practice even though I practice 2 to 3 hours a day.
    To add-on to everyone up there, also remind yourself of your goals.

Tell yourself that this is what you want, and you've gotten the opportunity, so it's now or never!

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
    Staff member
    Legend+
    Fucking Legend
    Nov 11, 2019

The good news is you can overcome it (at least to a certain extent). The tragic news is - it's like ANYTHING else. The more you do it, the better you get.
    There is no magic formula. I have played thousands of shows - hundreds of them in arenas in front of 10,000 people. I can count the "perfect" shows on one hand. Thankfully, I can also count the disasters on one hand. All the others fall somewhere in-between - but always high on the scale - 8s & 9s on a scale of 1-10. Nobody knew I made a mistake except me.
    I have NEVER played a show in my entire life where I wasn't nervous (even panicked) just before I walked on stage.
    As a matter of fact, I have only met two people in my life who weren't nervous before shows - and guess what? They both sucked. Their lack of care came through in their performance.
    You're supposed to be nervous. You're nervous because it matters. You just don't want to be paralyzed. You just need learn how to channel that nervous energy into positive energy.
    As soon as I start playing, the nervous energy morphs into performance energy.

If performing is something you want to pursue - play in front of people that won't judge you too harshly - friends & family, (that's assuming your friends and family aren't assholes). Expand from there - and just assume you're going to make a mistake or two. And understand, (with the exception of some catty guitar players), everyone is on your side. They WANT you to succeed.
    Play a song people can sing along with. Make them part of it. Make it fun. This will give you confidence to follow up with something featuring just you.
    Take a couple of deep breaths and jump in.
    You will soon get addicted to the process of performing:
    1. The pre-show panic/nervousness.
    2. The show itself - which is a combination of hard work, concentration, and hopefully some fun.
    3. Euphoria - when it ends and you realize you pulled it off - or better yet - killed it!

Good Luck!
    pg

carlosmqr

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 17, 2019
    Portugal/Manchester UK
    www.instagram.com
    I know the feeling xD even when I play to my wife I make mistakes I dont usually do xD but its all fun when you playing to friends and family, my friends always say that I improved a lot since last time whatever and I make tons of mistakes and feel like I played like shit 😬😬😂

But hey its your journey, usually we are our biggest judges but we are the ones who know how many hours we put in it too and unless you playing to someone who payed a ticket to see you play they cant really complain.

Im sure we let ourselves down way more when we make mistakes than we going to let someone watching us play and thats the mental block.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Kat the metalhead

Music Theory Bragger
  • Jan 20, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    The good news is you can overcome it (at least to a certain extent). The tragic news is - it's like ANYTHING else. The more you do it, the better you get.
    There is no magic formula. I have played thousands of shows - hundreds of them in arenas in front of 10,000 people. I can count the "perfect" shows on one hand. Thankfully, I can also count the disasters on one hand. All the others fall somewhere in-between - but always high on the scale - 8s & 9s on a scale of 1-10. Nobody knew I made a mistake except me.
    I have NEVER played a show in my entire life where I wasn't nervous (even panicked) just before I walked on stage.
    As a matter of fact, I have only met two people in my life who weren't nervous before shows - and guess what? They both sucked. Their lack of care came through in their performance.
    You're supposed to be nervous. You're nervous because it matters. You just don't want to be paralyzed. You just need learn how to channel that nervous energy into positive energy.
    As soon as I start playing, the nervous energy morphs into performance energy.

If performing is something you want to pursue - play in front of people that won't judge you too harshly - friends & family, (that's assuming your friends and family aren't assholes). Expand from there - and just assume you're going to make a mistake or two. And understand, (with the exception of some catty guitar players), everyone is on your side. They WANT you to succeed.
    Play a song people can sing along with. Make them part of it. Make it fun. This will give you confidence to follow up with something featuring just you.
    Take a couple of deep breaths and jump in.
    You will soon get addicted to the process of performing:
    1. The pre-show panic/nervousness.
    2. The show itself - which is a combination of hard work, concentration, and hopefully some fun.
    3. Euphoria - when it ends and you realize you pulled it off - or better yet - killed it!

Good Luck!
    pg
    It’s good to know that being nervous is normal for everyone! Thanks so much for your feedback, it means a lot!