• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Tips on increasing picking speed?

J

Jak Angelescu

I would suggest speed bursts exercises. You should do it slowly for like 5 minutes straight to build the muscles, then rest and stretch your hand out, then increase speed dramatically but only do it for like 10 seconds at a time. Do this literally like... a fucking hour everyday

Reactions: Xzavier471
Synner Endless Summer Collection

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    My advice would be:

1. Stick on a Metronome to a comfortable tempo
    2. Practice picking on the clicks (quarter notes) then 2 picks per click (8th notes) then 4 picks per click (16th notes) - Make sure than your grip on the pick is super relaxed during the whole thing.
    3. Have your wrist move in the smallest comfortable distance that you need for what you're picking (economy of motion)
    4. The minute you feel tension in your arm of forearm, let it relax completely, count to 10.

The most important parts are that you're relaxed and are playing to a click as much as possible 🤟

Reactions: Adin Shepherd

Adin Shepherd

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Melbourne, Australia
    My advice would be:

1. Stick on a Metronome to a comfortable tempo
    2. Practice picking on the clicks (quarter notes) then 2 picks per click (8th notes) then 4 picks per click (16th notes) - Make sure than your grip on the pick is super relaxed during the whole thing.
    3. Have your wrist move in the smallest comfortable distance that you need for what you're picking (economy of motion)
    4. The minute you feel tension in your arm of forearm, let it relax completely, count to 10.

The most important parts are that you're relaxed and are playing to a click as much as possible 🤟

This is what I have been doing, with the addition of triplets and making sure to accent the notes on the beat.

Kim

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    What also could help is resting your picking hand on the notes youre not playing. My teacher learned me this, and it helps me getting it a little bit faster.
    And what also helps is speeding up too fast and probably mess it up, but wehn you play slower afer that you can do it faster than you could. I use Ultimate Guitar Tabs and tou can loop a part and say you do it in 80% and then go slower or faster, and loop the part over and over again. Songsterrr has same option