• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

To all the newcomers! A word about the media page

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    It is so awesome to see new people coming on the school, posting, asking questions and ACTUALLY UPLOADING riffs to the media page. We have a lot more uploads and new faces on here recently and it is great. However, at this point I feel like we need a little clarification for the newer students on what to expect here.

First of all. We WANT you to upload videos and share your progress with us. This is a plattform to learn, share and grow together. But we are NOT instagram or Youtube. Do not expect fame here. Sure you can upload your highly polished dream theater solo cover with 200 camera angles here. If it feels like a success to you that you did that by all means go ahead and post it. But you will not get hundrets of likes. You may get ten and a nice comment. And I don't mean that in a bad way, this is just the nature of this platform as for right now.

What makes this media page special is the opportunity for honest and kind feedback. We don't care if you have a shitty cam you record video and sound with, we care about what you do with your cam and your guitar. If you are beginner or learn something upload progress videos or one in which you ask for advice for a certain thing. If you feel like you are doing great in a certain subject why don't you make a little tutorial or share your wisdom with us? Or break down one of these ultra polished covers you did and show us the process of how you learned the song.

I encourage everybody to try it out, and if it's only one small video for the start. People will see it and will give you valuable tips or feedback or profit from your video. This is how you can really contribute to the school and also one of the best ways to use this platform to grow as a guitarist and musician. Hope you guys got my meaning and I didn't discourage anyone. Now let's rock this! \m/ :)

J

Jak Angelescu

It is so awesome to see new people coming on the school, posting, asking questions and ACTUALLY UPLOADING riffs to the media page. We have a lot more uploads and new faces on here recently and it is great. However, at this point I feel like we need a little clarification for the newer students on what to expect here.

First of all. We WANT you to upload videos and share your progress with us. This is a plattform to learn, share and grow together. But we are NOT instagram or Youtube. Do not expect fame here. Sure you can upload your highly polished dream theater solo cover with 200 camera angles here. If it feels like a success to you that you did that by all means go ahead and post it. But you will not get hundrets of likes. You may get ten and a nice comment. And I don't mean that in a bad way, this is just the nature of this platform as for right now.

What makes this media page special is the opportunity for honest and kind feedback. We don't care if you have a shitty cam you record video and sound with, we care about what you do with your cam and your guitar. If you are beginner or learn something upload progress videos or one in which you ask for advice for a certain thing. If you feel like you are doing great in a certain subject why don't you make a little tutorial or share your wisdom with us? Or break down one of these ultra polished covers you did and show us the process of how you learned the song.

I encourage everybody to try it out, and if it's only one small video for the start. People will see it and will give you valuable tips or feedback or profit from your video. This is how you can really contribute to the school and also one of the best ways to use this platform to grow as a guitarist and musician. Hope you guys got my meaning and I didn't discourage anyone. Now let's rock this! \m/ :)

This entire post is something I feel needs to be said at least twice a week.

Thanks for doing my job for me 🦸‍♂️🦸‍♀️

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Good point, that may also be the reason I don't go to the riff page as much as I should. For ultra polished professionally recorded covers I go to youtube, I go to the riff page to give feedback and upload to the riff page to get feedback on my own playing (I use the mic and camera of my phone). I go to the media pages every ones in a while if I have like 15 minutes to spare in my schedule and seek out people I saw commenting on a lesson saying they struggle with something or try to read the description to see if they think they are struggling with something and try to help then with that aspect of their playing. If it's fishing for compliments I usually give like a like but frankly I don't really care that much usually.

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    Good point, that may also be the reason I don't go to the riff page as much as I should. For ultra polished professionally recorded covers I go to youtube, I go to the riff page to give feedback and upload to the riff page to get feedback on my own playing (I use the mic and camera of my phone). I go to the media pages every ones in a while if I have like 15 minutes to spare in my schedule and seek out people I saw commenting on a lesson saying they struggle with something or try to read the description to see if they think they are struggling with something and try to help then with that aspect of their playing. If it's fishing for compliments I usually give like a like but frankly I don't really care that much usually.
    Especially if it's also a cover of a song I don't know. I couldn't care less. Unless I know it's a beginner or somebody looking for feedback

Synner Endless Summer Collection

carlosmqr

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 17, 2019
    Portugal/Manchester UK
    www.instagram.com
    To me the most annoying thing with the riff page is that people upload there and have 0 messages in the forum, so theyre kinda using it like a youtube/instagram thing or just trying to get their minute of fame or whatever. I dont really mind to see videos with 20 cameras and a really good production my problem is when the people that do that dont really use the forum so I dont really know who Im watching as well which make it way way less interesting...and like was said before then I can just go to youtube and search for whatever cover I want to see.

Jesse Salmons

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
    Nov 11, 2019
    Indiana
    This is why i always say “tell me what you think!” When i post a riff, or Ill tag Ed. Im not putting things on here to get tons of likes, shares, etc. im just glad i found a community where i can post my guitar related stuff, and play some songs for you guys and get better along the way! I couldnt agree more, nobody should be afraid to post anything, covers, riffs, just basic practice, etc. but at the same time, they should expect constructive criticism. I welcome criticism. Its what makes you better!

Actually the community part is what helps people to break through their limits! To record oneself and listen is cool. But when you get feedback from peers, you can learn things from your own playing that you may have overseen.

Awesome community here! 🤟
    Yes! And also recording and sharing your playing does so much for your confidence and pushing you out of your comfort zone!

Reactions: Dominik Gräber
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    A couple things I wanna add to all this.

1. This is an important one and needs to be said first. If you post a solo cover ill probably like your post but that's it. If you do the WHOLE song I'm more interested but me personally I look for more origional content then anything. The earlier you start making your own riffs up the quicker you'll understand how arrangements work. Newer people I totally get doing covers but eventually you'll hit a mark where you feel bored of covers. Just doodling the lessons then will be enough for you to start writing your own riffs. Trust me it gets better as it goes.

2. Dont take the criticism the wrong way. I feel a lot of people early on took jaks comments the wrong way.. and she said the same stuff to me on my stuff. She still does. Best constructive criticism. We need more like that. Sometimes you don't see the bad habit or whatever but someone else will. (Like jak saying tuck those fingers in!). Take it with a grain of salt and keep at it. If you cant handle the criticism here how are you gonna outside the website?

3. Questions questions questions.. there is no such thing as a dumb question. Especially with how complicated guitar can get.

Now a few smaller things.

4.if you're posting here to advertise yourself but you dont really comment or do anything involved I'll probably skip you over. You'll get noticed here but if you came here to be famous you went the wrong way. Were all pushing for fame but you wont find it here lol what you'll find here is the motivation to reach that fame. Basically dont come here to gloat because I see some people come here and post a video and say follow me here and the you dont see them again. Instagram is for that. (Dom already did good on this point)

5. Have fun.. remember this isnt suppose to be work.. even if you treat it like work.. you gotta remember to enjoy it too.

I had other things to say but I forgot some of the words. If they come back I'll add more.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    To me the most annoying thing with the riff page is that people upload there and have 0 messages in the forum, so theyre kinda using it like a youtube/instagram thing or just trying to get their minute of fame or whatever. I dont really mind to see videos with 20 cameras and a really good production my problem is when the people that do that dont really use the forum so I dont really know who Im watching as well which make it way way less interesting...and like was said before then I can just go to youtube and search for whatever cover I want to see.
    Thank you Carlos. Another big point..

STOP WITH THE 48474 CAMERA SWITCHES. Quite honestly you cant follow the notes of fingers when the camera changes 10 times before the chorus. Its honestly distracting and jot really fancy at all. Who ever started that trend I think only does it so they can cut the video and restart the riffs without people knowing.

I'd rather see 1 camera raw footage. Unedited.