• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Tone

Solution
The best tone for you is the one that inspires you to play your very best. Start with just your amp - no effects. Aside from the volume, set every dial in the middle, whether thats "noon" or "5" or whatever. Right in the middle.

From there, sweep every dial, one at a time, all the way down, and all the way up, playing a little bit every time. This will give you a feel for what each dial does on your amp. At the end of each dial, return it to original position.

Once you've done that, start playing and look at what you think is missing and what you think is too much. Your amp follows the 80/20 rule. Once you know the amp, it should take you 5-10 minutes to get a tone you're 80% happy with, and then another two years to get the last...

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    The best tone for you is the one that inspires you to play your very best. Start with just your amp - no effects. Aside from the volume, set every dial in the middle, whether thats "noon" or "5" or whatever. Right in the middle.

From there, sweep every dial, one at a time, all the way down, and all the way up, playing a little bit every time. This will give you a feel for what each dial does on your amp. At the end of each dial, return it to original position.

Once you've done that, start playing and look at what you think is missing and what you think is too much. Your amp follows the 80/20 rule. Once you know the amp, it should take you 5-10 minutes to get a tone you're 80% happy with, and then another two years to get the last 20%. If you EVER get there. Seriously. But if you get to 95% happy, you're in solid shape.

I've had my AxeFX for about 5 years now. I'm probably 99% happy with my basic tones. Maybe 98%.

Because what you like and what you want continually changes. The most important thing, though, is finding the tone that inspires YOU to be the best musician you can be. Fuck what anyone else thinks.

Solution