• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Transcription ear training? Easy transcription songs?

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
Rockstar Student
Nov 11, 2019
Spain
Whaddup Synners?

For all my transcribers out there I had a question.

I am starting to pick up ear training and I wanted to ask you all what would be more beneficial for me.

For my age I know that I cannot develop a perfect pitch so would training intervals be more effective?

Whad do you think?

Additionally. Do you have any easy songs to initiate myself to transcriptions? I tried choosing songs and always end up biting off more than I can chew and get kinda discouraged.

Thank you all in advance!

Solution
There are so many ways to enter into ear training/transcribing. However the thing that you're really developing/training, is the ability to hear a note, put it into an context and replicate it on your fretboard. The context could be a Scale, a chord in a key etc

For this, interval training is key. A good goal would be to play a note on your Guitar and to be able to hum/sing every interval possible over it (Root, b2, 2, b3, 3, 4, b5, 5, b6, 6, b7, 7) This is to internalise each interval in your mind's ear 👌 If you can hear it in your mind and create it immediately on the fretboard then when you hear it in a song, you can do exactly the same, as long as it's clear enough in the mix to decipher.

Example: You play a C note and try to...

Lindsey

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    www.instagram.com
    A lot of punk and rock songs use only powerchords so that could be a nice start if you have no experience.
    You can also try melodies and vocal lines for single note training. That should also help you with your lead playing. (So they say)
    You're an experienced player so you'll recognise the scales they're played in.

• Haha
    Reactions: Christian Schulze
    Upvote 0

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
    Rockstar Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Spain
    If you want to go super simple, try nursery rhymes/children songs. They let you focus on intervals and you can start recognising scales from them pretty easily.
    Thats is actually very helpful! Thank you very much!
    A lot of punk and rock songs use only powerchords so that could be a nice start if you have no experience.
    You can also try melodies and vocal lines for single note training. That should also help you with your lead playing. (So they say)
    You're an experienced player so you'll recognise the scales they're played in.
    Well well..experienced player.....far from it. But yess punk songs sounds like also a great start.

I have been transcribing like theme songs and some vocal lines. But songs. Thats whete I am struggling the most with at the moment.

Thanks for the tip!

Reactions: Forgetabull
    Upvote 0

Lindsey

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    www.instagram.com
    Thats is actually very helpful! Thank you very much!

Well well..experienced player.....far from it. But yess punk songs sounds like also a great start.

I have been transcribing like theme songs and some vocal lines. But songs. Thats whete I am struggling the most with at the moment.

Thanks for the tip!
    You're experienced to me 😅

• Haha
    Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    There are so many ways to enter into ear training/transcribing. However the thing that you're really developing/training, is the ability to hear a note, put it into an context and replicate it on your fretboard. The context could be a Scale, a chord in a key etc

For this, interval training is key. A good goal would be to play a note on your Guitar and to be able to hum/sing every interval possible over it (Root, b2, 2, b3, 3, 4, b5, 5, b6, 6, b7, 7) This is to internalise each interval in your mind's ear 👌 If you can hear it in your mind and create it immediately on the fretboard then when you hear it in a song, you can do exactly the same, as long as it's clear enough in the mix to decipher.

Example: You play a C note and try to hear/sing/hum an E over it (going 3 notes up the C Major Scale) this will train your ears to hear and feel a Major 3rd interval etc. Then it's a matter of matching those 2 notes on the fretboard and you've essentially transcribed yourself.

The above idea of using nursery rhymes and simple melodies is excellent too! I'd also try your best, if you're going to do it, to at first, try and use your own memory of the tune (how you'd sing it to someone) and find that on your fretboard. This way you're making sure you really understand how the tune is made up and you're developing your inner ear. If this is too tricky then you can always find a recording on YouTube too - but I'd say the inner ear development is how you can learn to really keep a sound in your mind and analyse it 😊

It's best to start small with this stuff and get a good mental framework of what you're hearing. It'll eventually become second nature and you'll start to hear intervals everywhere 😂 Car horns for some reason are close to a minor 3rd. It's just a matter of practicing each interval and getting to know it like a song you know 👌

Hope this helps and feel free to DM if you want any help!

• Love
    Upvote 0
    Solution

Muz Malek

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Singapore
    www.instagram.com
    Whaddup Synners?

I am starting to pick up ear training and I wanted to ask you all what would be more beneficial for me.

For my age I know that I cannot develop a perfect pitch so would training intervals be more effective?

Whad do you think?

Additionally. Do you have any easy songs to initiate myself to transcriptions? I tried choosing songs and always end up biting off more than I can chew and get kinda discouraged.

1. Listen and slow down songs
    2. Get a second pair of (trusted) ears to hear you out and let them tell you if you are accurate or not

I started depending, at least 85% of the time, by ear when I heard and watched countless of people playing that one note in Seize the Day solo inaccurately. I won't say it's wrong completely because that note is still in key, but it is wrong in reference to the original solo.

I realized most of them followed the same source, which was one of the Ultimate Guitar tabs.

I intend to do a stream on this soon!

• Love
    Upvote 0

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Whaddup Synners?

Whad do you think?

Rick beatos ear training chorus may be exactly what you need. Bl

• Love
    Upvote 0