• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Treat Your Heary Holes Right

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    All-

A lot of you here are early in your musical journey, and this is where it counts for you. I was lucky enough to get this advice as a budding musician and I've been fanatical about it. As a result, my hearing loss is FAR less than it could be.

I currently use Eargasm plugs. They're very good, but if I need a new pair, I'll probably go the way of one of these listed above. Re-usable plugs like this are not exactly cheap, but they preserve a lot more of your playing or listening experience than cheap foam plugs while still providing the hearing protection benefits you NEED. Not want - NEED.

Short anecdote - Back in the Day, Bruno Ravel from Danger Danger (Andy Timmons' hair metal days band) bummed two cigs off me to break off the filters and use as earplugs. This is NOT ideal, and should be avoided. Partially because a lot fewer people smoke (including me - stopped in ~2000), partly because the price of cigs went through the roof, and mostly because you look stupid with cigarettes sticking out of your ears.

TL;DR - Get good ear plugs. Wear them at EVERY concert when a live band starts playing. Wear them at EVERY band practice or gig, for the whole session. Older you will thank you for it, trust me on that.

And that's the #truth!

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    You're Soo right!

I spend some money on good earplugs too and I always hate it when I forget them. I was at Ghost show last year and forgot them, the synth was solo loud that I had to cover my ears with my hands.

Every time I go to a concert with my mom she says she wants them too(but she never actually gets them)

Filip Tomiša

Campfire Attention Holder
    Nov 11, 2019
    Croatia
    www.youtube.com
    Agreed. The first time I used ear plugs at a concert was when I went to see "Lightning Bolt'. I never heard of them before but my sister gave me a ticket so I decided to check them out. They are a noise-punk band and they are insanely loud. On facebook the promoter said that the first twenty people that arrive at the venue will get free ear plugs. I got worried because I've never seen that happen before. So I decided to get a pair of my own and that was the best decision ever. I could hear literally everything but I didn't have pressure in my ears and there was no ringing after the concert. So i highly recommend getting a pair, even the ones for 1$ at a drug store because that's better than nothing.

Reactions: Kai C and Ed Seith

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Thanks for the share @Ed Seith . Do you know what kind the musicians use while on stage? That was a thought that crossed my mind the other day and I forgot to ask but this post got my memory working again

GREAT QUESTION, and the answer will befuddle you at first. Professional musicians don't use earplugs on stage.

"What? But what's the shit you just said, Cap???"

Pro musicians use custom IEMs - In Ear Monitors. The artist has molds/forms taken of their ears, and the IEMs are shaped specifically for their ears, so they act as noise-blocking earplugs, with reference quality earbuds and receivers built in. By doing this, the musicians, via the soundboard (and sound person, as the case may be) can each have their own idea of a perfect stage mix in their ears, at a volume that can "motivate" them, but not cause headaches or hearing fatigue, or hearing loss.

So, for instance, Syn could have a mix that includes himself, Zack at a slightly lower (or, say, "left only") volume. Solid drums, vocals loud enough to hear clearly and follow, and Johnny fucking muted.

@Syn Gates - can you confirm or clarify any of this from your personal experience? Including that you mute Johnny? :) What brand do you use?

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    Reactions: Ed Seith

Kai C

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
    Nov 11, 2019
    Naha Okinawa
    Whoo thanks for sharing! I didnt care about that before, I was just like Fuck I dont need them :) Now it oppened my eyes, Thanks

I did a 6 hour concert in the pit last September. Diamante and Dorothy played with 3 Days Grace, Chevelle, and Breaking Benjamin. After that I know I need to get protection for the next concert I go to

Reactions: Ed Seith