• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Tremonti vs. Syn

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    I never meant decent in terms of ability, definitely not, there probably isn't anything on the guitar Tremonti couldn't do. He's a technical master. But in terms of songs? Nope, he's not got it. I can't think of an amazing Tremonti song. This kind of reminds me of the Blackmore vs Satriani debate, Satriani is far more technical, but in terms of songs, not even a contest.

The funny thing is, Mark cares more about songwriting than guitar playing. Check this, and tell me this isn't a great song.

I don't think anyone's mind is gonna change, but if you haven't really dug into Mark, you might be surprised.

Reactions: Rg49

Edward John

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    UK
    The funny thing is, Mark cares more about songwriting than guitar playing. Check this, and tell me this isn't a great song.

I don't think anyone's mind is gonna change, but if you haven't really dug into Mark, you might be surprised.
    Did Mark actually say that? Huh, surprised. The song is okay, decent solo, drums and bass, never been a fan of Myles voice, but the riffs really aren't there, kinda reminds me of Nickelback actually. Which is pretty funny because I know your opinion of them, hahaha, but I haven't listened to anything besides their main singles. I thought they were a meant to be straight up heavy, but they just seem like normal hard rock. Good lyrics but, did Tremonti write the lyrics? Although, I will say this about Tremonti, I do enjoy the song Bullets.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Did Mark actually say that? Huh, surprised. The song is okay, decent solo, drums and bass, never been a fan of Myles voice, but the riffs really aren't there, kinda reminds me of Nickelback actually. Which is pretty funny because I know your opinion of them, hahaha, but I haven't listened to anything besides their main singles. I thought they were a meant to be straight up heavy, but they just seem like normal hard rock. Good lyrics but, did Tremonti write the lyrics? Although, I will say this about Tremonti, I do enjoy the song Bullets.

Yeah, Mark says that all the time. Alter Bridge is definitely more a hard rock band. The Tremonti stuff is much heavier, and Mark sings those himself. Try this.

Reactions: Edward John

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    For me it's Syn or John Mayer. If I have to pick one I'll just flip a coin to decide.

The thing is that these are usually fan voted and alter Bridge always shares them in their social media and avenged sevenfold and Syn don't do that so Mark will get more votes because of that

Reactions: Edward John

Edward John

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    UK
    For me it's Syn or John Mayer. If I have to pick one I'll just flip a coin to decide.

The thing is that these are usually fan voted and alter Bridge always shares them in their social media and avenged sevenfold and Syn don't do that so Mark will get more votes because of that
    There seems to be a lot of respect for Mayer on the forum, surprised. You would definitely be leaning towards Syn though, I assume?

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Rg49

New Student
    Sep 20, 2021
    It was recently that I started listening Alter Bridge/Tremonti stuff. Synyster Gates was my all time favourite guitarist. But now to be frank my favourite guitarist is Tremonti. He's a nice guy and he's so down to earth. And IMHO he really deserves the guitarist of the decade title. I love Syn without no doubt he's still my 2nd favourite guitarist of all time. But Tremonti is the man who deserves this recognition. He has really worked hard in this decade releasing 4 AB albums and 4 Tremonti albums. He does heavier stuff on his solo band and those riffs and solos are awesome. Not to mention that he also does melodic stuff on AB. And someone here said that Tremonti is a popular guitarist I can't agree with that because lots of people even haven't heard the name Alter Bridge, but everybody knows A7X. Syn is obviously the more popular guitarist out of both. AB is not a heavy metal band but their Songwriting is top notch (eg: Blackbird, Cry of Achilles, Fortress, The Last Hero). AB's singer Myles Kennedy also plays lead guitar and he's also an incredible guitarist (Slash has said that he gets guitar lessons from Myles Kennedy and Myles is technically better than him). If you're not familiar with Alter Bridge I request you all to listen them (AB is not heavy like A7X but still amazing). Myles Kennedy is obviously one of the best rock singers today. AB is so underrated and they are one of the greatest songwriters and musicians I know.

Last edited:

Rg49

New Student
    Sep 20, 2021
    I don't doubt that Mark is a great guy, he seems it in interviews. But in terms of songs? Nope. Alter Bridge, musically aren't much different from Creed, and Creed wasn't all that impressive musically. The only difference is the singer. Stapp has a polarizing voice, so it's no wonder AB has gotten more respect as a band. I can't think of a single Tremonti related song that comes close to any A7X song I enjoy. Tremonti may be more technical, actually I really don't know, maybe they are on par, but Syn has the better songs, no question.
    Say what? AB isn't musically much different from creed? LOL. This proves that you've not listened AB at all. Even some Creed fans hate AB because they changed their style. It's clear that you're trying to admit Mark doesn't deserve this title without listening his work properly. Go and listen Fortress album first.

Last edited: