• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Trying to figure out key signature for an original

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    Hey Holly! You'll find you get different answers to this question depending on how people are viewing the harmony in context, but I'll give it a bash! This will probably get hairy pretty fast, theory wise. Hopefully I can keep the mistakes to a minimum!

Here's the chords you were playing (I think) - Bb Lydian/D | A | F Augmented | A | Dm | F augmented | A | A minmaj7 | Bbmin

What I'll say is that it's technically not in a conventional Major or Minor key, in the sense of true Major or Minor, as there are a lot of flavors in the harmony that lend themselves to Harmonic Minor. It sounds beautiful by the way! - One thing my ear notices is that in a way you're always resolving back to the A Major chord.

Your starting chord leading back to A major chord makes my ear want to hear that A as being A Phrygian Dominant (Really D Harmonic Minor), Then the F Augmented (which makes sense in the key of D Harmonic Minor, as it's a chord built from it's 3rd Mode Ionian #5), leading back to A, giving the same tonality as before, Dm next, which makes sense, as we're technically in D harmonic minor, then it's going back into the F augmented resolving to A like before - Up until this point I've been viewing the song in either D harmonic minor or A Phrygian Dominant, as the tonal weight seems to be leaning back to the A chord every time.

The song then modulates to A minmaj7, which could be A harmonic minor, and then Bb min, which takes the tonality straight to straight B minor.

So key wise, It's like D Harmonic Minor for the home key, but the ear (or at least my ear) is being lead towards A Phrygian Dominant for the majority of the tune.

It's like A Phryg Dom/A Harm min/Bb min.

The above is fun to know and theorize about, but the most important thing is that you've written a really beautiful and unusual progression 😍

Hope this gives some insight!

T

TheRedMageGuitarist

Hey Holly! You'll find you get different answers to this question depending on how people are viewing the harmony in context, but I'll give it a bash! This will probably get hairy pretty fast, theory wise. Hopefully I can keep the mistakes to a minimum!

Here's the chords you were playing (I think) - Bb Lydian/D | A | F Augmented | A | Dm | F augmented | A | A minmaj7 | Bbmin

What I'll say is that it's technically not in a conventional Major or Minor key, in the sense of true Major or Minor, as there are a lot of flavors in the harmony that lend themselves to Harmonic Minor. It sounds beautiful by the way! - One thing my ear notices is that in a way you're always resolving back to the A Major chord.

Your starting chord leading back to A major chord makes my ear want to hear that A as being A Phrygian Dominant (Really D Harmonic Minor), Then the F Augmented (which makes sense in the key of D Harmonic Minor, as it's a chord built from it's 3rd Mode Ionian #5), leading back to A, giving the same tonality as before, Dm next, which makes sense, as we're technically in D harmonic minor, then it's going back into the F augmented resolving to A like before - Up until this point I've been viewing the song in either D harmonic minor or A Phrygian Dominant, as the tonal weight seems to be leaning back to the A chord every time.

The song then modulates to A minmaj7, which could be A harmonic minor, and then Bb min, which takes the tonality straight to straight B minor.

So key wise, It's like D Harmonic Minor for the home key, but the ear (or at least my ear) is being lead towards A Phrygian Dominant for the majority of the tune.

The above is fun to know and theorize about, but the most important thing is that you've written a really beautiful and unusual progression 😍

Holy shit. Mic drop.

Wow just wow! That's pretty cool I had no idea it was so complicated LOL! I do know when I wrote this I was experimenting with augmented chords so I guess this kind of makes sense I guess haha! That is a whole lot to unpack but I will look into these and kind of see what I can do as far as keeping it simple in the beginning. You are amazing thank you so much for taking the time to give me such a detailed response! Thank you for the compliment and thank you so much for responding.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    Wow just wow! That's pretty cool I had no idea it was so complicated LOL! I do know when I wrote this I was experimenting with augmented chords so I guess this kind of makes sense I guess haha! That is a whole lot to unpack but I will look into these and kind of see what I can do as far as keeping it simple in the beginning. You are amazing thank you so much for taking the time to give me such a detailed response! Thank you for the compliment and thank you so much for responding.
    It tends to happen as soon as you add in Augmented & Minmaj7 chords in the mix haha - It's only really because you can't find them in a Major Key, so you're immediately on to the more exotic modes of Harmonic Minor - but once you get your head around it, it's not that bad! They are amazing chords to play with though.

If you want to be able to unpack all the jargon then Rick Beato is 100% your man - I used his videos to re-teach myself theory because I sucked at it in college :ROFLMAO: Notepad and pen & a strong coffee with some of his Lecture videos will really clue you up fast with the stuff.

No problem at all! it was a lot of fun to try and figure it out - feel free to DM anytime if you want any q's answered, I really enjoy taking those kinda things apart 👌

Thank you so very much again! You are truly incredible. I hope that I can continue this song and make it even half as cool as I made the intro. I often think about it and wonder how the hell I managed to write this at all LOL. But anyway, you are incredible thank you again so very much and I will keep all of that in mind haha probably take me 5 years to finish it

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    Thank you so very much again! You are truly incredible. I hope that I can continue this song and make it even half as cool as I made the intro. I often think about it and wonder how the hell I managed to write this at all LOL. But anyway, you are incredible thank you again so very much and I will keep all of that in mind haha probably take me 5 years to finish it
    Honestly, no problem at all! If you write the rest the same way you wrote the start the process should be a breeze for you 🤟

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com

This reminds me of the old days in the late 80s, reading the tab notes on songs in songbooks or in Guitar for the Practicing Musician magazine. See, the notes would always explain the theory behind a song and especially the solo. And for people, like Vai and whatnot, who were very theory oriented, it was a very straightforward thing.

But when you got to people who played by ear and feel, and not theory, it was a mess. Look at guys like George Lynch who does a lot of pattern work that dances outside specific keys, while generally remaining loosely around the primary pentatonic box locations, and you'd have a 20 second solo with six paragraphs explaining how "the first section is loosely based around G Phrygian, but for the second note of the third pattern, he swerves hard into mixolydian before coming back to D flat Phygian and then back into the G Phrygian modality to close out."

This would go on for half a page. You'd read this and know that Lynch had no idea what the fuck he was playing, from a theory perspective, he just knew it ripped.

Same thing here, and it's glorious. Great piece, by the way Holly. Some nice sounding odd chords in there! I may steal a few...

• Love
    Reactions: Chris Johnston

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    This reminds me of the old days in the late 80s, reading the tab notes on songs in songbooks or in Guitar for the Practicing Musician magazine. See, the notes would always explain the theory behind a song and especially the solo. And for people, like Vai and whatnot, who were very theory oriented, it was a very straightforward thing.

But when you got to people who played by ear and feel, and not theory, it was a mess. Look at guys like George Lynch who does a lot of pattern work that dances outside specific keys, while generally remaining loosely around the primary pentatonic box locations, and you'd have a 20 second solo with six paragraphs explaining how "the first section is loosely based around G Phrygian, but for the second note of the third pattern, he swerves hard into mixolydian before coming back to D flat Phygian and then back into the G Phrygian modality to close out."

This would go on for half a page. You'd read this and know that Lynch had no idea what the fuck he was playing, from a theory perspective, he just knew it ripped.

Same thing here, and it's glorious. Great piece, by the way Holly. Some nice sounding odd chords in there! I may steal a few...
    This is a really great point! Like how playing based on your own set of rules can add to the creativity because you'll wind up playing more unconventionally & arrive at more interesting things as a result 👌

Haha yeah I could imagine an analysis of a Vai solo being just... 'Lydian' 😂

Reactions: Ed Seith
    Synner Endless Summer Collection