• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Trying to work out the intro to a song, kinda lost

anttofm

Free Bird Player
Dec 21, 2021
Hey, sorry to double post in the same week. There's a song I'm trying to transcribe on guitar and I'm totally lost on how the guitarist is able to play the intro so quickly.
Here's the song for reference and there's no tabs online, so I'm trying to play it by ear.

Is he utilizing finger rolls and legato or am I just overthinking it? Should I slow it way down and try to just go for it?

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Each of the notes is part of a chord, so this is just arpeggiating the chord. Learn it slow and then build speed accordingly.

My best guess is the guitar is tuned to Eb Standard (1/2 step down from standard) and the chords outlined are D5 (xx0 2 3 x), a passing tone on C (5th string 3rd fret) and Bb min(x-1-3-3-1-1)

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    Going to devil's advocate @Ed Seith 's take here 👌

There's definitely an open B and high E in there, which suggests standard tuning, with chords utilising those open strings. Also, listening with headphones, I'm sure those first 3 notes aren't ringing completely into each other- suggesting that the Guitarist Is changing fingers.

it also sounds lile theres a mix of an acoustic playing the riff underneath the dirtier guitar 👌

I've managed to figure it out (i think) in a way that sounds pretty accurate (although you can never be sure)

If you get stuck transcribing and need Any assistance send me a DM 🤟

Reactions: anttofm
    Upvote 0

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    ^^ Chris is way better at that shit than me, so follow his lead over mine ^^

That said, the main tones led me to believe Eb Std, and I got those open B and high E notes, as you called them, from a Bb barre chord. But again, this shit ain't my forte. I haven't seriously worked out a song in years.

Upvote 0

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    ^^ Chris is way better at that shit than me, so follow his lead over mine ^^

That said, the main tones led me to believe Eb Std, and I got those open B and high E notes, as you called them, from a Bb barre chord. But again, this shit ain't my forte. I haven't seriously worked out a song in years.
    In response to this - I'd definitely still try Ed's suggestion, as I could be mistaken here 🤟

Reactions: Ed Seith
    Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection