• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Tuning issues

Iris

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Oct 14, 2020
    Everett, Washington
    Ok. So I've had an Epi Les Paul since 2005. It sat neglected in it's case for the last 2 or 3 years. Got it out in October of 2020 and changed the strings. It's been sounding fine the last few months but now it's doing something weird. Clip on tuner says strings are in tune, I've tuned the guitar to itself, still sounds good. But as soon as I do anything on the two low strings around the 2nd and 3rd frets, it sounds out of tune. It's most noticeable on Stairway to Heaven when you pluck a lower string and a higher string at the same time. I'm hoping this is an easy fix as I don't have spare funds right now to have a tech check it out. Anyone have any tips?

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    Ouf this sounds to me like sort of an intonation problem! So its only on the 2nd and 3rd fret of the low string you say? Okay let's do a test to be sure. Tune the open strings to your clip on tuner. Now once they are tuned, play the 12th fret on those same string. Since it's an octave over the open strings, the same note should be appearing on your tuner.

Reactions: Iris

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019

I saw this one time, it might help some if it's what Radu and Ids mentioned. I've only tried it 2 times, one time some guy did it for free for me, I never had a problem since. I was scared giving my guitar for the night, but it was a safe place. o_O :explode-skull: Oh almost forgot I was having issues with the jack/input, he fixed that too! Was really lucky

Reactions: Iris

Autumn

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Portland, Oregon
    Your guitar's intonation probably isn't the problem. If it were intonation, the pitch of the notes would be slightly inaccurate all the way up the fretboard.

If those frets are SHARP, then here is your answer:

I would guess that the nut of your guitar (rather the slots carved into the nut) are higher than they should be.

This means that your guitar's ACTION (string height) at the nut is high enough that when you press on those frets, you are also inadvertently bending the string slightly as well.

I hope this helps!

Reactions: Ed Seith
    Synner Endless Summer Collection