• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Tuning

Baby bird

One Stringer
Aug 3, 2022
Hey guys! Hope everyone is well. So glad the lessons are back and runningšŸ˜Š Thank you to everyone who worked hard on getting them back up! I've had my guitar for about a year now and I'm not a complete beginner, but I still don't know a whole lot of things, so I'm starting the lessons from the very beginning. Regarding the tuning lesson, I have been using guitar tuna/my amp tuner to help me tune(I dont own a clip tuner just yet). I've been trying to practice how to tune my guitar using the method in the lesson, but I just cant seem to get it. Is there any tips or tricks you guys have to help me master this skill?

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    So the method in the video is tuning the guitar to itself, meaning not necessarily CORRECT. The amp tuner or the tuner app can be extremely accurate, so unless you've developed perfect pitch, stick to that. A Snark clip-on tuner can be had on Amazon for $10-15. This one is my favorite:

Snark on Amazon

When tuning it to itself in a pinch, start by trying to find a song with a definite E or A note or chord, especially if it's held for a while. Then try to match your guitar's E or A string pitch to that. From there, you can use the method PG shows to tune the rest.

There are two things to listen for. The first is if you're going back and forth on the two strings is one definitely higher or lower in pitch than the other? If so, adjust the string you know is NOT in tune to the one that is (for example, if you've tuned the low E string to E using a Metallica song or something), then you want to see if the A string is higher or lower, and adjust it to match.

(NOTE: If you need to lower the pitch of a string, lower it past perfect and then tune it up to where you want it - if you just lower it until it's right, it will pull lower the first time you bend the string)

The other thing you're listening for is dissonance. That's a kind of "wub wub" sound that gets slower the further away from each other the two notes are. When you can't hear any dissonance, the two strings are in tune with each other.

Hope this helps, but really, LEARN this method, but only use it when you don't have access to a tuner.

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Could try to keep the low E string tuned and detune the other strings some to retune so get used to the sound. High E works too but then need to go in reverse. I saw there's more ways one with harmonics and the 12th fret but I don't know how.
    I can tune the guitar to itself but to get it accurate I use the tuner. I think I can't remember the sound good enough.
    Probably trial and error with time. Care not to tune too sharp/high cause the string might break

• Love
    Reactions: Baby bird
    Upvote 0

Baby bird

One Stringer
    Aug 3, 2022
    So the method in the video is tuning the guitar to itself, meaning not necessarily CORRECT. The amp tuner or the tuner app can be extremely accurate, so unless you've developed perfect pitch, stick to that. A Snark clip-on tuner can be had on Amazon for $10-15. This one is my favorite:

Snark on Amazon

When tuning it to itself in a pinch, start by trying to find a song with a definite E or A note or chord, especially if it's held for a while. Then try to match your guitar's E or A string pitch to that. From there, you can use the method PG shows to tune the rest.

There are two things to listen for. The first is if you're going back and forth on the two strings is one definitely higher or lower in pitch than the other? If so, adjust the string you know is NOT in tune to the one that is (for example, if you've tuned the low E string to E using a Metallica song or something), then you want to see if the A string is higher or lower, and adjust it to match.

(NOTE: If you need to lower the pitch of a string, lower it past perfect and then tune it up to where you want it - if you just lower it until it's right, it will pull lower the first time you bend the string)

The other thing you're listening for is dissonance. That's a kind of "wub wub" sound that gets slower the further away from each other the two notes are. When you can't hear any dissonance, the two strings are in tune with each other.

Hope this helps, but really, LEARN this method, but only use it when you don't have access to a tuner.
    Wow thank you so much for the amazing advice! And thanks for the link as well. I'll definitely be keeping this in mind šŸ¤˜ I'm going to continue to practice this, but will use my tuning app when needed. Thanks again. Cheers!

Reactions: Ed Seith
    Upvote 0

Baby bird

One Stringer
    Aug 3, 2022
    Could try to keep the low E string tuned and detune the other strings some to retune so get used to the sound. High E works too but then need to go in reverse. I saw there's more ways one with harmonics and the 12th fret but I don't know how.
    I can tune the guitar to itself but to get it accurate I use the tuner. I think I can't remember the sound good enough.
    Probably trial and error with time. Care not to tune too sharp/high cause the string might break
    Thank you so much! I been working on this and its helped a little! Also yes great reminder I gotta remember not to tune too highšŸ˜³šŸ˜‚

Reactions: William B.
    Upvote 0