• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Two finger tapping

Lewis Turner

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Hi guys, first post on here!
I’ve been looking at lesson 45 – an introduction to tapping, and I can do the right-handed 1 finger tapping okay, but when moving to 2 fingers I seem to hit the open strings a bit more and create a lot of unwanted background noise.
I’m struggling to use my palm to mute the lower strings like I was with the one-finger tapping, do you guys have any advice on how I can nullify those open strings and improve the clarity & lucidity of my tapping?
Thanks all,
Lewis

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
Ooh crap this really requires some thinking for me. I usually do 2 finger tapping when I do the intro of the stage (before you get excited, I can’t nail it). Out of my slightly drunk mind I can’t make up what I do exactly because in my head it seems more or less exactly the same as I would do only using my pointing finger.

Lewis Turner

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Thanks for the feedback Ids!
I was trying out the G-String example Papa Gates showed, and I’ve found that after trial and error, pulling off the strings “towards the floor” so to speak rather than “up into my palm” helps me avoid the open string noise.
This way, I can use the underside of my fretting fingers to mute out the B & E strings, and I don’t have to worry about hitting the D string as I’m pulling down!