• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Two New Chords – E & Am – Lesson 13

Forgetabull

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    im having issues with my palm muting first string. while practicing these chords. any tips on how to prevent that? trying to work on positioning but im not sure if its because im over weight so guitar sits differently or do i just need to work on flexing my wrists more and stretching them?

I use my thumb over the top to mute the 1st string. It just has to touch the top of the string to stop it making noise.

Attachments

• 120288197_270640580712630_1787409818489813448_n.jpg
      120288197_270640580712630_1787409818489813448_n.jpg
      233.5 KB · Views: 125

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    im having issues with my palm muting first string. while practicing these chords. any tips on how to prevent that? trying to work on positioning but im not sure if its because im over weight so guitar sits differently or do i just need to work on flexing my wrists more and stretching them?

First string or sixth string? Sixth is the thick 'un, the low E.

Reactions: Forgetabull
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Forgetabull

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    So if you are having issues muting the smallest string when you are playing chords, I'd say your thumb position is too high, if you lower your thumb a bit behind the neck, you will find the is more room for your fingers to curl.

Yes this is completely different to what I showed in the picture as what I was showing was how to mute the low E string when you are playing an A minor.

It's something the more you practice your fingers will get the hang of the positions they are ment to be in, once you have the chord changes comfortable, then you can start trying to mute the low E string when you do a minor.

Taking photos one handed isn't something I'm that good at, but I tried to show the front and back of the neck for a minor and E major received_491532805135809.jpeg received_2772170359735198.jpeg received_641825473198850.jpeg received_2386912998272234.jpeg

Go slow, you'll get it !

phatloots

Campfire Attention Holder
    Sep 12, 2020
    So if you are having issues muting the smallest string when you are playing chords, I'd say your thumb position is too high, if you lower your thumb a bit behind the neck, you will find the is more room for your fingers to curl.

Yes this is completely different to what I showed in the picture as what I was showing was how to mute the low E string when you are playing an A minor.

It's something the more you practice your fingers will get the hang of the positions they are ment to be in, once you have the chord changes comfortable, then you can start trying to mute the low E string when you do a minor.

Taking photos one handed isn't something I'm that good at, but I tried to show the front and back of the neck for a minor and E major View attachment 1005 View attachment 1006 View attachment 1007 View attachment 1008

Go slow, you'll get it !
    yeah trying to get my thumb lower is very uncomfortable, i got short sausage fingers lol

Reactions: Forgetabull

Forgetabull

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    yeah trying to get my thumb lower is very uncomfortable, i got short sausage fingers lol

Takes a little practice, I have stumpy fingers too. Other things that can help:
    • Rather than having the neck parallel with the floor, sit it at an angle, you'll see this a lot with classical players.
    • Get/make a foot stool, that can also help with the angle, you put one foot on it, not both.
    • You should only have your thumb on the back of the neck, not your palm, like there should be a gap there.

phatloots

Campfire Attention Holder
    Sep 12, 2020
    Takes a little practice, I have stumpy fingers too. Other things that can help:
    • Rather than having the neck parallel with the floor, sit it at an angle, you'll see this a lot with classical players.
    • Get/make a foot stool, that can also help with the angle, you put one foot on it, not both.
    • You should only have your thumb on the back of the neck, not your palm, like there should be a gap there.
    very helpful! thank you

Forgetabull

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Is it a hard and fast rule that you only strum the top 3 strings on an upstroke? Or does it just sound better. I'm assuming if you play all the strings down, you can play them all going back up too.
    The idea of doing 3 strings down and the other 3 on the upstroke where you're getting into some of the concepts of "dynamics". Dynamics are where you vary your playing a bit to sound a bit more "interesting". It's perfectly fine to hit all the strings on the down stroke and the upstroke, there's nothing wrong with that :)

Reactions: Iris

Forgetabull

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    There's nothing specifically wrong with playing the whole chord on the down and up, however, if you break it up you end up adding some dynamics to your playing which can make it more interesting to listen to/play. The downstroke lends itself to emphasising the bass/lower strings and with a typical strum pattern the down stroke often ends up on the beat.

Apparently I tend to repeat myself every 2yrs heh.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Is it a hard and fast rule that you only strum the top 3 strings on an upstroke? Or does it just sound better. I'm assuming if you play all the strings down, you can play them all going back up too.

There are NO hard and fast rules. Seriously.

I remember an ad in the 80s for GIT with bass god Billy Sheehan, featuring a quote from the man - "You have to know the rules before you can break them!" Of course, it WAS an ad for a guitar school, so of course they're going to say that, but it points out a real and sincere truth - even the most educated musicians break the rules. Y'all KNOW Syn does it ALL THE TIME.

Because how it sounds to YOU is more important than the rules. The rules exist to help you find your direction - not to constrain you.