• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Understanding intervals/visualization of notes

k.robert

Local Dive Bar Favorite
Nov 11, 2019
Poland
Hi,

My advice would be to take it one by one. So first choose your root note, then choose an interval, for example the Major second and check that compared to your root note where are the Major second intervals... and which ones you can reach in all strings. Do this in all positions, so find your root note and the Major second on every string... if you are already comfortable with that interval, pick another one...

If you already know caged, you will see that it covers the Root - Major Third - Perfect Fifth intervals. So you just need to practice to know which note is where within the chord shape. Like, if you play the C shape, your root note is always on the A and the B string, the Major third is on the D string, and the Perfect Fifth is on the G string. Go through all the shapes and say it out loud which interval you're playing.

With scale shapes or arpeggios do the same thing.

Also, find a one chord vamp, which is basically a backing track but with one chord, and check how the particular intervals sound like over the chords. For example over the C Major chord play the C Major scale, but play only the Root and Major Second and listen how it sounds, than the Root and Major Third. etc... and try to really focus on how the different intervals feel like over the chord... and do the same with minor chords and scales too.

I hope I managed to write it in an understandable way :D Here is also a pic that helped me a lot... good luck and be patient :)

intervals.png

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    Hey! So the most helpful way I've found to visualise intervals/be more intentional with my playing was by learning Triads.

Here's the idea:

Say you're soloing in C Major

You would learn a C Major triad shape, work out your Root, 3rd and 5th - 1st, 3rd and 5th notes of the C major scale.

Next you would work out from each note in your Triad, where the next note in the C major scale is (in both directions!)

You'll get this:

Root - 2 frets to the right (2nd), 1 fret to the left(7tg)
    3rd - 1 fret to the right (4th), 2 frets to the left (2nd)
    5th - 2 frets to the right (6th), 2 frets to the left (4th)

If you check all the intervals above, you'll see that by doing this approach, you unlock the entire Major Scale, in a way where if you mix up going left, right, down and up the arpeggio, you'll be playing the scale in more and more creative ways. Also, due to it being laid out in an arpeggio, it helps with visualisation because all of your Triads and inversions are small, easy to digest shapes, verses the dense scale shapes 👌

Hope this helps!

(Also I'm dropping a Minor Triad video on the site next week so feel free to check that out!)

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Missinginaction

New Student
    Aug 24, 2022
    Hey! So the most helpful way I've found to visualise intervals/be more intentional with my playing was by learning Triads.

Here's the idea:

Say you're soloing in C Major

You would learn a C Major triad shape, work out your Root, 3rd and 5th - 1st, 3rd and 5th notes of the C major scale.

Next you would work out from each note in your Triad, where the next note in the C major scale is (in both directions!)

You'll get this:

Root - 2 frets to the right (2nd), 1 fret to the left(7tg)
    3rd - 1 fret to the right (4th), 2 frets to the left (2nd)
    5th - 2 frets to the right (6th), 2 frets to the left (4th)

If you check all the intervals above, you'll see that by doing this approach, you unlock the entire Major Scale, in a way where if you mix up going left, right, down and up the arpeggio, you'll be playing the scale in more and more creative ways. Also, due to it being laid out in an arpeggio, it helps with visualisation because all of your Triads and inversions are small, easy to digest shapes, verses the dense scale shapes 👌

Hope this helps!

(Also I'm dropping a Minor Triad video on the site next week so feel free to check that out!)
    Will definitely check out the video and thanks man!

Upvote 0