• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Upgrading Strat Squier Pickups

RollyOllie

Free Bird Player
Sep 3, 2020
Hi everyone! New here.

I'm looking into upgrading the pickups on my Squier Stat Affinity. I've already switched out my bridge coil for a FLEOR Alnico 5 Humbucker, and now I'm looking into switching out the two remaining ones. (Taking the guitar apart, figuring out how all the electronics work and modifying it was a lot of fun, and now I want MORE).

I'm currently hesitating between two different options, similarly priced on Amazon. One's Alnico 5 as well and the other's Ceramic pickups. Pics below (not sure if I can post amazon links on here)
1599183761787.png
1599183795562.png

What do you guys think? I'm going to be playing anything from Punk to Pop to Blues

Thanks a lot!

PS : While we're at it, what other simple mods can improve the sound on a cheap guitar like a Squier? So far I've added locking tuners, and a TUSQ nut and string trees.

Reactions: William B.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
Could you give some tone references, like what kind of time do you like?

In SRV model you have texas specials. Than there all these other options. You can go for vintage maybe even install a mid boost like Eric clapton

JetFixxxer

One Stringer
Jun 9, 2020
The lower Gauss the magnetic field will be weaker. They say you will get the "vintage" tone because of it.

Unfortunately ceramic magnets are associated with metal, but you can get some good non "metals tones" from them. Your Squier has ceramics magnets they are cheaper to produce.

If you like doing the electronic work on your guitar. Wind your own pickups, this is what I do. Just be careful of that rabbit hole :) or the DIY Pedals rabbit hole ;)

What's wrong with your sound?

Don't judge a guitar by the price. I have an Squier Infinity Telecaster which in my opinion is one of my best playing guitar. All I did to that was wind pickups and did a setup to my liking. If I was a touring musician that Infinity would be on tour with me. I had a PRS that I thought was absolute garbage and I tried everything to get a good player out of it.

Last edited:

hypertensao

Garage band Groupie
Jul 11, 2020
Portugak
The important question is, what type of sound do you want to achieve?

I don't know what your budget is, but i am not sure if those pickups will make a huge difference compared to the stock ones from a Squier Strat.
If i ever change the pickups on my strat, im going Ritchie Blackmoore direction (Deep Purple) and go with high output single coils, but maybe the price of an amazing set of pickups is triple the price of my squier strat and i would just get a Fender Strat MIM.

Reactions: JetFixxxer

JetFixxxer

One Stringer
Jun 9, 2020
Also remember that DCR changes with temperature and it's really doesn't indicate the output of a pickup. It's a rough measurement. Inductance will be a good way to figure out the output.

Synner Endless Summer Collection