• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Using audio interface for recording guitar and amp sims stuff

Dismemberer

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
Oct 16, 2021
So I bought an audio interface to basically get a good guitar tone and for recording covers. It's a Behringer U-Phoria UMC22. I watched some videos on YouTube for reviews and also heard from a friend that owned it, that it's pretty good. When I first set the thing up, I was totally confused because of Asio then I found how to use it. Now here's the problem, anyone who uses audio interfaces knows that you need to plug the headphones in the interface because if you try using it with the pc output you get weird screeching sound with tons of latency. But the interface has a quarter inch port for headphones and the my main headset has a usb jack so I couldn't plug those in so I used a cheap headphone and a 3.5 to quarter inch converter but the sound was pretty bad. I asked some people on forums they said that you need studio monitors for that but I dont have that kinda money. I could although afford some studio headphones that cost around 3000 rupees or 40.38$. Can I get a good tone in studio headphones? If you use audio interface with studio headphones or maybe have experience about all this stuff, please reply. If yes, please try to suggest some headphones that cost around the price range I mentioned.

Reactions: William B.
Solution
Well audio interface is Behringer umc22 and guitar is Schecter C1 sgr guitar is plugged in the interface and i use amplitude 5 amp sim and the output is coming from the headphones jack on the interface but headphones are bad quality. I have one doubt, see I tried a little thing out. First I was also thinking that the headphones are just for hearing the thing and even if you're using bad headphones the tone still is just in the amp sim which would probably sound good but then i recorded something with the bad headphones on and the final recording sounded like the sound i was hearing in the headphones. Then i changed the output and you might know that with interfaces if the output isn't asio you'll get bad sound so i then recorded...

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    I don't know for sure but I think the headphones would be okay and maybe even normal speakers is fine too
    Don't rely only on my post cause I don't know for sure
    I also have headphones, it came with 2 cables one has the quarter inch guitar audio jack thing and a normal audio one
    Maybe just need a cable cause some converters aren't so great
    The bass is better when using my headphones, that was important for me

Reactions: Dismemberer
    Upvote 0

Dismemberer

Oct 16, 2021
    I don't know for sure but I think the headphones would be okay and maybe even normal speakers is fine too
    Don't rely only on my post cause I don't know for sure
    I also have headphones, it came with 2 cables one has the quarter inch guitar audio jack thing and a normal audio one
    Maybe just need a cable cause some converters aren't so great
    The bass is better when using my headphones, that was important for me
    Can I get good good headphones in 40$? Can you suggest any companies?

Upvote 0

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    The ideal will always be studio monitor but realistically, it's not always accessible to everyone. Yes, you absolutely can just use headphones to record your guitar and get into mixing. As you keep developing your skills, you will learn more but as things stand, it's completely fine!

My suggestion for headphones would be these audio-technica:

They are a little bit over your budget but honestly they are made for this type of situation and Audio-Technica is a very reputable company!

Good luck to you! :)

Upvote 0

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    So I bought an audio interface to basically get a good guitar tone and for recording covers. It's a Behringer U-Phoria UMC22. I watched some videos on YouTube for reviews and also heard from a friend that owned it, that it's pretty good. When I first set the thing up, I was totally confused because of Asio then I found how to use it. Now here's the problem, anyone who uses audio interfaces knows that you need to plug the headphones in the interface because if you try using it with the pc output you get weird screeching sound with tons of latency. But the interface has a quarter inch port for headphones and the my main headset has a usb jack so I couldn't plug those in so I used a cheap headphone and a 3.5 to quarter inch converter but the sound was pretty bad. I asked some people on forums they said that you need studio monitors for that but I dont have that kinda money. I could although afford some studio headphones that cost around 3000 rupees or 40.38$. Can I get a good tone in studio headphones? If you use audio interface with studio headphones or maybe have experience about all this stuff, please reply. If yes, please try to suggest some headphones that cost around the price range I mentioned.

The headphones in the interface are for you to listen back to what you're doing. If the guitar tone going in is good, then it will be nearly as good in the headphones or studio monitors. Based on the things you're saying here, I'm more interested in hearing about other elements of your setup.

Please tell me what you have going IN to the interface? Tell me about the guitar/amp setup you're connecting to it. Thanks!

Upvote 0

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Can I get good good headphones in 40$? Can you suggest any companies?
    I don't know sorry
    The one I have was a gift I estimate 40-80$ is good enough, but need to check for the jacks for your setup and see if you can find one with bonus bass
    For me with some stuff the bass doesn't come clear enough so I need to switch my audio outlet sometimes when I mess around with my DAW

Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Dismemberer

Oct 16, 2021
    The headphones in the interface are for you to listen back to what you're doing. If the guitar tone going in is good, then it will be nearly as good in the headphones or studio monitors. Based on the things you're saying here, I'm more interested in hearing about other elements of your setup.

Please tell me what you have going IN to the interface? Tell me about the guitar/amp setup you're connecting to it. Thanks!
    Well audio interface is Behringer umc22 and guitar is Schecter C1 sgr guitar is plugged in the interface and i use amplitude 5 amp sim and the output is coming from the headphones jack on the interface but headphones are bad quality. I have one doubt, see I tried a little thing out. First I was also thinking that the headphones are just for hearing the thing and even if you're using bad headphones the tone still is just in the amp sim which would probably sound good but then i recorded something with the bad headphones on and the final recording sounded like the sound i was hearing in the headphones. Then i changed the output and you might know that with interfaces if the output isn't asio you'll get bad sound so i then recorded with other output for hearing the tone and the final recording sounded exactly like what i was hearing while recording. So for me it sounded like the final output signal was being captured by the DAW so I was hearing the bad tone quality in the final piece if it were being captured from the amp sim directly then ig it would sound good. Is it like that? I dont know much about this stuff though.

Upvote 0

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Well audio interface is Behringer umc22 and guitar is Schecter C1 sgr guitar is plugged in the interface and i use amplitude 5 amp sim and the output is coming from the headphones jack on the interface but headphones are bad quality. I have one doubt, see I tried a little thing out. First I was also thinking that the headphones are just for hearing the thing and even if you're using bad headphones the tone still is just in the amp sim which would probably sound good but then i recorded something with the bad headphones on and the final recording sounded like the sound i was hearing in the headphones. Then i changed the output and you might know that with interfaces if the output isn't asio you'll get bad sound so i then recorded with other output for hearing the tone and the final recording sounded exactly like what i was hearing while recording. So for me it sounded like the final output signal was being captured by the DAW so I was hearing the bad tone quality in the final piece if it were being captured from the amp sim directly then ig it would sound good. Is it like that? I dont know much about this stuff though.
    OK, this is why I asked. You're inputting just a plain guitar - no amp, no effects. That's what records, and that's what hits the headphones. The quality of the headphones or speakers has no effect on the recorded tone. You need to put your amp sim in the effects loop of the recorded track to get that sound in the recording.

Solution

Dismemberer

Oct 16, 2021

Upvote 0

Dismemberer

Oct 16, 2021
    OK, this is why I asked. You're inputting just a plain guitar - no amp, no effects. That's what records, and that's what hits the headphones. The quality of the headphones or speakers has no effect on the recorded tone. You need to put your amp sim in the effects loop of the recorded track to get that sound in the recording.
    Thanks! I can record with good tone now :))

Upvote 0