• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Very Odd Post But I'd Love Your Insight🙂

J

Jak Angelescu

First of all, I'm very proud of everyone's hard work here. Secondly, I'm still watching for the student award as we fix some minor glitches with the donation thing. So keep practicing! Lastly, I apologize I'm not as socially active in the forums and riffs as I use to be. The action has skyrocketed and it has become impossible to keep up with!! So good on all of you!

Now on to my post:

I have a bit of a personal dilemma. I'm far more active and productive at night than in the morning. Luckily both of my jobs allow me to be like this, and lord knows guitar isn't an issue.
But my problem lies with Holly (my singer for those who don't know). She's an early bird and because of being blind, she benefits from as much natural light as possible. Also, because she can't drive, I gladly and happily take her for her early morning runs and try to get all my stuff done by 5pm so we can eat dinner and chill for the rest of the night. Because she naturally winds down at about 6-7pm, anything waking up pass 8am is considered wasting the day.
Ever since I was little, it doesn't matter how much sleep I get I could NOT get up before 10am. My natural body says "Chill". When I wake up early, I'm stressed and frantic yet all I think about is wanting to not do anything and I face burnout by noon and hardly get much done.
She always asks me "why do you always wait until 7pm to start being productive and solving world hunger and stuff?"
I just focus better.
I also have a hard time falling asleep. When I go to bed thinking about the 6 hours of downtime I just had I feel like it was wasted time. However when I'm chill, relaxed and I enjoy the day and work at night, it's calmer and I get way more done before bed and I feel more accomplished. Also working out at night helps me sleep deeper.

My problem lies in the fact Holly HATES this schedule, and I hate hers. But because we are such tight bandmates, friends and we rely on each other for certain things, it's hard to have different schedules.

Any thoughts would be MUCH appreciated!! We're not fighting or anything. I'm just being a confused night owl.

Love you all!!

Donovan Etue

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Washington State
    Hey Jak no need to apologize. We know you've been incredibly busy and don't have as much time to spend chatting on the forums like you have before. Onto your dilemma. I'm the exact same way as you are. During the mornings especially I prefer to relax and not do much that would be productive while 9pm-3am is way easier for me to be productive whether it's chores, classes, guitar lessons, noodling and shit. It's all easier during the night while it's the opposite for my Dad and Uncle who wake up at 5-530am and will wake up a little slower but within a half an hour they're up and ready to get shit done whether it's totally necessary it's done by 8am or if they've got way more time than necessary it'll be done way sooner than later. Sleep has always been a fucking weird thing for me. I either sleep 10-12 hours like I got KO'd over and over by Mike Tyson or I "sleep" for 3-4 hours where I feel awake for every waking second of the night and wake up exhausted. No sleep meds have worked for me so far and if one works it only works for maybe 2 weeks at most and by then my body grows accustomed to it and ignore any effects it has. I believe I read an article a while ago that some people's brains are just naturally wired to be night owls and taking them out of their zone makes them less productive. My aunt is this way and has been since she was in her twenty's working at the county jail and sheriffs office. I don't have any advice but I will say you are not alone in being way more productive and efficient at night. I hope someone in here brings the advice that will help you out the most.

• Love
    Reactions: Jak Angelescu
    J

Jak Angelescu

Hey Jak no need to apologize. We know you've been incredibly busy and don't have as much time to spend chatting on the forums like you have before. Onto your dilemma. I'm the exact same way as you are. During the mornings especially I prefer to relax and not do much that would be productive while 9pm-3am is way easier for me to be productive whether it's chores, classes, guitar lessons, noodling and shit. It's all easier during the night while it's the opposite for my Dad and Uncle who wake up at 5-530am and will wake up a little slower but within a half an hour they're up and ready to get shit done whether it's totally necessary it's done by 8am or if they've got way more time than necessary it'll be done way sooner than later. Sleep has always been a fucking weird thing for me. I either sleep 10-12 hours like I got KO'd over and over by Mike Tyson or I "sleep" for 3-4 hours where I feel awake for every waking second of the night and wake up exhausted. No sleep meds have worked for me so far and if one works it only works for maybe 2 weeks at most and by then my body grows accustomed to it and ignore any effects it has. I believe I read an article a while ago that some people's brains are just naturally wired to be night owls and taking them out of their zone makes them less productive. My aunt is this way and has been since she was in her twenty's working at the county jail and sheriffs office. I don't have any advice but I will say you are not alone in being way more productive and efficient at night. I hope someone in here brings the advice that will help you out the most.
    Lol at the Mike Tyson reference! I'm sorry that you have such issues with sleep. And I'm sorry that you haven't found anything that helps you yet. I really hope that one day you do because sleep is so incredibly important! And believe it or not your response actually did make me feel a lot better. I might try talking with her and negotiating something. I'm sure it definitely can be done because I've gotten the same amount of work done in the last 4 hours as I do in a 12-hour period. And it's been more proficient

Reactions: Donovan Etue

carlosmqr

Legend
  • Nov 17, 2019
    Portugal/Manchester UK
    www.instagram.com
    Im the same, way more active at night... If im working mornings Im a dead body and brain all day it doesnt matter if I sleep 4 or 10 hours I feel exactly the same, no energy, no focus... If im on night shift is completly the opposite! One thing that helps being more active during the day is power naps, but I usually dont have time for it xD I think is like Donovan said, some people are just more active at night than others. Im sure youll find a way to make that work Jak!

• Love

Andrew Milner

• Nov 11, 2019
    andreilucianmoraru.com
    As a morning person myself, I was once working in a team with what would be described as someone like you Jak. He was always coming to the office at about 11 AM and was staying until late. A very good programmer though.

One of my friends is in a band with someone who is medically required to get a number of hours of sleep per night and he has to go to bed at 10 PM every day. People are very different in this regard.

Since Holly relies on you, you're gonna have to make this work, somehow. Since she kinda needs your assistance, you may want to go through the activities she does on a daily basis and see if there are any she can do without requiring your help too much and see if she can do them early in the morning when you are still asleep. Try to switch the activities around until you can reach something that works for both of you, if possible of course.

Firsty Lasty

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    I don't have any advice for what you should do with your schedule, but I'll tell you what I do for sleep. I get the best sleep if I avoid caffeine within nine or ten hours of when I plan to sleep and I sometimes use MTS sleep aid. I avoid too much surplus carbohydrates/sugar in my diet, but I do not follow a "keto" diet. The key to feeling good when you wake up is to wake up at the right part of the sleep cycle, so like if an alarm clock goes off while you're in deep sleep you'll feel shit no matter how many hours you've been sleeping. One thing to try is to be physically active very soon after waking up, like almost immediately do pushups or go for a short walk or something like that.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    I'd say I'm definetly a morning person, Not active in the evening. But then again If I don't absolutely need to do shit chances are I'm lazy in the morning too so I might just qualify as a professional couch potato lol
    However, maybe you could try and make a strict to do list that involves different activities at different times of the day. And If your time schedule allows for it you could try having a nap at noon, which forces you to be active and get your to dos done before that.

• Love

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    I wake up 7:30 am everyday. Usually I first check my e-mails and stuff like that and after that I like to workout. Whether it's a 15 or 75 minute workout doesn't matter it just helps me wake up. After all of this I'm usually ready to go between 9 and 10 am. This productive phase lasts until 4-5 pm. What I do is basically don't eat anything within 2 hours before I go to bed, also I don't drink coffee. I recently changed the snoozing time on my alarm from 10 minutes to 1 minute and that helps with getting up a lot too. I've never been a morning person either but now it is in my daily routine I don't have that many problems anymore. It's very much just my biological clock. If I'm not really exhausted I'll wake up around 8 am without an alarm too.

Hope this helps a little bit

Kai C

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
    Nov 11, 2019
    Naha Okinawa
    So since I have sleep issues I take sleep hygiene somewhat seriously, as best as I can. if you need any advice there just ask. Honestly there really isn't an advice on why your schedule is the way it is. Everybody has different chemical makeups. And for important reasons, like yours, we might have to act outside our natural rhythms. If she's upset about yours that's just something that needs to be communicated. Focus on the best sleep you can, naps are actually not recommended for good sleep. For your work schedule, just keep doing your best and what works for you is what you stick with.

• Love

Donovan Etue

• Nov 11, 2019
    Washington State
    Lol at the Mike Tyson reference! I'm sorry that you have such issues with sleep. And I'm sorry that you haven't found anything that helps you yet. I really hope that one day you do because sleep is so incredibly important! And believe it or not your response actually did make me feel a lot better. I might try talking with her and negotiating something. I'm sure it definitely can be done because I've gotten the same amount of work done in the last 4 hours as I do in a 12-hour period. And it's been more proficient
    I hope I end up finding something that effectively and lastingly helps me over time have a sleep schedule that most would consider normal haha. It would certainly help some haha. On the Mike Tyson reference my family gives me shit for just how heavy I sleep and the random ass positions I go into. I'm a fairly flexible dude and can sleep in positions that'd my uncle swears would wake him up with tears haha. I'm glad my comment at least made you feel better about things. I wish you the best in your ongoing negotiations.

• Love

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    First of all, I'm very proud of everyone's hard work here. Secondly, I'm still watching for the student award as we fix some minor glitches with the donation thing. So keep practicing! Lastly, I apologize I'm not as socially active in the forums and riffs as I use to be. The action has skyrocketed and it has become impossible to keep up with!! So good on all of you!

Now on to my post:

I have a bit of a personal dilemma. I'm far more active and productive at night than in the morning. Luckily both of my jobs allow me to be like this, and lord knows guitar isn't an issue.
    But my problem lies with Holly (my singer for those who don't know). She's an early bird and because of being blind, she benefits from as much natural light as possible. Also, because she can't drive, I gladly and happily take her for her early morning runs and try to get all my stuff done by 5pm so we can eat dinner and chill for the rest of the night. Because she naturally winds down at about 6-7pm, anything waking up pass 8am is considered wasting the day.
    Ever since I was little, it doesn't matter how much sleep I get I could NOT get up before 10am. My natural body says "Chill". When I wake up early, I'm stressed and frantic yet all I think about is wanting to not do anything and I face burnout by noon and hardly get much done.
    She always asks me "why do you always wait until 7pm to start being productive and solving world hunger and stuff?"
    I just focus better.
    I also have a hard time falling asleep. When I go to bed thinking about the 6 hours of downtime I just had I feel like it was wasted time. However when I'm chill, relaxed and I enjoy the day and work at night, it's calmer and I get way more done before bed and I feel more accomplished. Also working out at night helps me sleep deeper.

My problem lies in the fact Holly HATES this schedule, and I hate hers. But because we are such tight bandmates, friends and we rely on each other for certain things, it's hard to have different schedules.

Any thoughts would be MUCH appreciated!! We're not fighting or anything. I'm just being a confused night owl.

Love you all!!
    Boy do I feel this lol. My husband and I are the same. He’s like you and I’m more Hollie’s speed.
    For us, we basically just do our normal shit and when our down times overlap that’s when we chill together or work on things together. It does seem harder as you help Hollie out. Aside from work obviously, are there any activities or places you take her which take away from your normal routine that could be moved to another time ?
    If not. When you do wake up rather early, are you waking up with little time and rushing to get out the door ? I know that always makes for a shite day in my opinion. I personally have found if I give myself ample amount of time (when if I hate the alarm when it goes off) and have an hour of two to just wake up and chill before I even have to worry about getting ready, it makes the day easier for me.

• Love
    J

Jak Angelescu

Im the same, way more active at night... If im working mornings Im a dead body and brain all day it doesnt matter if I sleep 4 or 10 hours I feel exactly the same, no energy, no focus... If im on night shift is completly the opposite! One thing that helps being more active during the day is power naps, but I usually dont have time for it xD I think is like Donovan said, some people are just more active at night than others. Im sure youll find a way to make that work Jak!
    I use to actually take power naps! But it's so hard for me to fall asleep now. It'll take me like 30 minutes and by then I'm like ugh, better just get up! Thank you for the love!

Reactions: carlosmqr
    J

Jak Angelescu

As a morning person myself, I was once working in a team with what would be described as someone like you Jak. He was always coming to the office at about 11 AM and was staying until late. A very good programmer though.

One of my friends is in a band with someone who is medically required to get a number of hours of sleep per night and he has to go to bed at 10 PM every day. People are very different in this regard.

Since Holly relies on you, you're gonna have to make this work, somehow. Since she kinda needs your assistance, you may want to go through the activities she does on a daily basis and see if there are any she can do without requiring your help too much and see if she can do them early in the morning when you are still asleep. Try to switch the activities around until you can reach something that works for both of you, if possible of course.
    We actually did this today! I took your advice 🥰 I said "listen, you jogging is your personal time. However at night is my personal time. Can I sleep in at least until 10am?" No issue whatsoever!

Reactions: Andrew Milner
    J

Jak Angelescu

I don't have any advice for what you should do with your schedule, but I'll tell you what I do for sleep. I get the best sleep if I avoid caffeine within nine or ten hours of when I plan to sleep and I sometimes use MTS sleep aid. I avoid too much surplus carbohydrates/sugar in my diet, but I do not follow a "keto" diet. The key to feeling good when you wake up is to wake up at the right part of the sleep cycle, so like if an alarm clock goes off while you're in deep sleep you'll feel shit no matter how many hours you've been sleeping. One thing to try is to be physically active very soon after waking up, like almost immediately do pushups or go for a short walk or something like that.
    Luckily I'm too sensitive to caffeine so I never drink anything containing it. However, my sleep is always interrupted. I'm always waking up sneezing like hell and maybe that's contributing to it. It takes me like 30 minutes to fall back asleep

John Robinson

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Nashville tn.

Now on to my post:

I just focus better.

Love you all!!
    I wish i could help but because i work 12-16 hours a day im up early and late and i dont sleep well but i hope you find an answer