• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Vox VT40+ 60W valve Amp

Gabriel Corso

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Hello Everyone! It is good to be back on this site.
I hope you are all well.
I really want to buy a Valve amp to get good sounds from my guitar and pedals. However things here in Brazil are really expensive due to high taxes.
A used valve amp costs more o less 2500 Brazilian reais (615 DOLLARS), and that is kind of a lot for me at the moment.
So I came across this Vox amp which has a valve in it, but it uses half of it on the preamp and half of it in the modulation effects.
To be more objective: It is a digital amp with a valve to help haha.
URL: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VT40Plus–vox-valvetronix-vt40-60w-1×10-inch-modeling-combo-with-fx
I wanted to know if someone recommends it, or if it is not good at all. Ive read a lot of good things online – but you never know.
ALSO:
1- Is it any good ?
2- Are digital amps good? Or they aren’t different from ss amps?
3- Can i use digital amps on the clean Channels and use my own pedals?
The price of this one is much cheaper compared to the valve one.
(350 DOLLARS NEW).
Even If you do not own one of these, if you know anything about digital amps please let me know.
I rely on this forum a lot – such good help every time.
Thanks a lot guys!
See you!
G.

Noah Berends

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Fort Wayne, IN
    1) Is it any good? That would be your opinion honestly. Tone is subjective, and if you reeeeeeally like the sound, then go for it!
    2) Digital and solid state are really increasing in quality. In this case I believe digital simply refers to the onboard effects, although the specs from Sweetwater say it runs off tubes, so this amp would be a tube amp with a digital circuit.
    3) Yup. That’s exactly what I do.
    I own an Orange CR35LDX as my “best” amp…it’s a fully solid state Orange amp that runs about $250 USD. I have nothing bad to say about it, but it does get a noticeably different sound from tube amps. Vox is a good brand and something like that I believe would sound good, especially if you like the sound.

Gabriel Corso

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    Dude, Firstly thank you for your quick response!
    Yes, I do believe that technology nowadays is awesome and the sound of ss and digital amps can be great. But I have never experienced a Digital amp sound before, that is why I was a little scared.
    On Wednesday I am going to the store which is selling that amp and i am goind go test it slowly – try to understand the beast haha.
    I hope i like it.
    Another thing that i was worried about was the pedals, i thought that pedals did not sound good on digital amps – i dont know why. I think that is just the fact that i have never experienced anything like it before.
    Well, i will try that out on wednesday and i will tell you the results!!!
    Thanks again, man!
    Keep rockin
    G.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Digital can sound very good! An axe-fx, headrush, Helix are all digital and sounds very good in all the videos I’ve seen it sounds very good! For that particular amp I don’t know but Vox is a big brand so it probably will be pretty decent. Yes you can dofinetely use your pedals with the amp!

Filip Tomiša

Campfire Attention Holder
    Nov 11, 2019
    Croatia
    www.youtube.com
    I have a Vox Valvetronix ad50VT and I like it. It has a bunch of presets and they sound pretty cool. It also has 11 effects i think. I was kinda frustrated with the amp because I couldn’t get the type of distortion that I wanted, it always sounded muddy and I thought it was the amps problem but the fact was that I had no idea what I was doing. I found a website with VOX presets (http://www.valvetronix.net/valvetronix/valvetronix-range.html) and when I adjusted the setting I got the sound that I wanted and it wasn’t muddy. So the amp works great.
    As I see from the URL that you posted, that amp has pretty much the same knobs as my amp but it has different amp presets and it has more channels and different effects. Your amp has 4 channels which is great because you can switch between 4 different presets that you chose or made. (you can switch between them by pressing the buttons on the amp or stomping the pedal that you get with the amp with your foot. Ask the guy if he will include the pedal).
    I never really used pedals on that amp because I don’t have many and I have those effects already on my amp so that’s why I never used them.
    All in all I think it’s worth it and that you’d be satisfied, with the correct settings you can get amazing tones. Hope this helps :D!

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    While the technology for digital is really going crazy good, be careful because that doesnt mean that every digital amp is good. I have a kemper and that shit sounds incredible. Ive worked with axe-fx and same for that. But those are the high end of digital technology so of course they’ll sound good but they are expensive as fuck. The cheaper you go, the lesser its going to be. And I actually agree that tone is relative so what doesnt sound good to me may sound good to you and vice versa so you really have to try it or look up on videos on youtube but even then be careful because an amp sounds different depending and where its being played and how its recoreded too (now we are going into more acoustic stuff but yeah). In the end, there is nothing wrong in going into this price range for digital. I think you’ll get a pretty decent amp for a decent price though I would suggest to try maybe putting a bit more and getting a second-hand axe-fx 1. I find them crazy cheap around me since the axe 3 came out!

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Gabriel Corso

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    Thanks for the answers guys!
    IDS, RADU-CISTIAN and FILIP:
    Yeah, i thought about adquiring some tyoe of AXE Fx, but here in Brazil in costs something like 2500 dollars + used. And that is over the top for me ;/
    I do want one of those some time in my life for sure. It is awesome.
    I thought about the Vox because:
    1- I live in an apartment
    2- I do not use that much of volume in my flat.
    3- I do sometimes play with some friends, but it just for fun, nothing professional.
    Filip, the model that i put in the URL is no longer in the market, but the stores sell it normally. The newer models are more expensive.
    However, as you said, i think that the one that i am looking for could make me happy.
    Now I need to test it in the store on Wednesday to make sure it is the right one.
    I am discovering a lot of things about digital amps, and that is awesome.
    Thank you very much guys!!
    Filip, if i do adquire the amp i will check the presets for sure. Thanks man!
    Your comments are helping me a lot as always
    THANNNKS!!!

Matt Wildman

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    Liberty IN
    I DEFINATELY recommend this amp. It’s my one and only guitar amp and it is amazing. I’ve had it for almost two years and I’m still finding cool stuff that you can do with it. It’s a great amp. Only thing is I have the Tube version so I would be able to tell you what the valve is like.

Matt Wildman

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    Liberty IN
    I haven’t used any pedals with it because I don’t own any (mainly cause it has a lot of effects built into it like wah, reverb, pitch shift, etc), but I know that it is compatible with pedals. I think it’s a great choice. It has 99 presets built into it as well.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Gabriel Corso

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    Hello guys!
    I am happy to say that I just bought the amp!
    I decided to go and test it today at the store, and WOW! The amp is amazing.
    I don’t know if I can do a huge review on it yet, because I’ve just played it for 1 hour, but I can tell you that is great.
    The sound of it reminds me of a valve amp for sure. It is a very warm and powerful sound.
    And even though I am not going to use the effects that much, I can tell that they are very responsive and clean.
    To be completely honest with you all:
    – I am happy to have acquired it.
    Thanks for helping me guys!
    I rely 100% on this forum for everything.
    And it never proves me wrong.
    If any of you are interested in buying one, I can help you decide for sure haha.
    Keep rockin’
    G.