• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Were there guitars with fading pinstripes

Sento

New Student
Jun 4, 2021
Hey guys,
I am currently looking for what guitar to buy, and planned to most likely go for the Syn Custom S, maybe black gold, maybe white black, not sure yet.
I heard something, that there was a model once, I think it was for the black and golden ones, where the pinstripes faded.
Was this a thing, or is it still a thing? OR was it just some people being bad at caring for their instrument.
I really love the paint job and the sound, and want to get the guitar, but I don´t want to get surprised by fading paint.

Sento

New Student
Jun 4, 2021
Well I know that there are Tons of custom Models Out there and maybe some have that. Maybe @Hector Trejo knows more on this topic, His Syn custom collection is huge :D

But I mean, basicly the ones Syn is currently using have a Kind of fade to them. Like the sunburst one he plays on Stage a lot
I saw it under a youtube video of a demo of the custom s guitar.
Apparently it is the one from httk era.
But it scared me a bit, so I am not sure what guitar to buy.
I don't really believe that this is still happening, but it would be a better feel to be sure about it

Attachments

• IMG_20210604_232346.jpg
    IMG_20210604_232346.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 154
Upvote 0

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    I don't really believe that this is still happening, but it would be a better feel to be sure about it
    I am pretty sure that any guitar you would buy from Syns Store now, or Just any that already has his new S Logo on the headstock already is the best it can be to date. I would be surprised if that was a Thing with His newer models

Upvote 0

Sento

New Student
    Jun 4, 2021
    I am pretty sure that any guitar you would buy from Syns Store now, or Just any that already has his new S Logo on the headstock already is the best it can be to date. I would be surprised if that was a Thing with His newer models
    Ye, makes sense, I couldn't find anything about that by googling.
    I doubt that someone would tolerate such a thing to go on, if it was ever a thing.
    I just wanted to be sure, so I have a better feel when ordering one.
    Thank you

Reactions: Dominik Gräber
    Upvote 0

Donovan Etue

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Washington State
    My first thought was this was occurring with the satin gold burst finish since if satin isn't wiped down regularly, it'll let you know where you make contact with the body most frequently. In my experience anyway. But looking online, it seems like that model came out only 4 or so years ago. So it wouldn't be a HttK era one if that's right. That's odd. I'm curious to hear about what Muz has to say.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Sento

New Student
    Jun 4, 2021
    In the video it clearly shows that the stripes faded, they can hardly be seen. So apparently there was really such a thing. But there is not really information about it, I tried to google but did not really find much. Those Syn guitars are really sick, so it would be sad if it would still happen.
    In the video it was a gold black guitar with I think the Seymour Duncan Humbucker, but I am not sure. They don´t have the Syn logo on them.
    This is the link to the video, where you can see it. (if posting links here is allowed)

Upvote 0

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    In the video it clearly shows that the stripes faded, they can hardly be seen. So apparently there was really such a thing. But there is not really information about it, I tried to google but did not really find much. Those Syn guitars are really sick, so it would be sad if it would still happen.
    In the video it was a gold black guitar with I think the Seymour Duncan Humbucker, but I am not sure. They don´t have the Syn logo on them.
    This is the link to the video, where you can see it. (if posting links here is allowed)
    I mean, to me the fades seem too equal all across the guitar. I have a gut feeling that this was done intentionally (in the case of this video) because I feel like if it would naturally fade, it would be inequal and there would be spots that are brighter than others. And I mean, I might be mistaken, I am not an expert but if this is the only video you found with that much of the stripes faded, I dont think you should worry about it. Then again, maybe the guitar was neglected like for example, if it stayed in a place directly exposed to the sun, it just might have been affected by it too.

Upvote 0

Sento

New Student
    Jun 4, 2021
    I mean, to me the fades seem too equal all across the guitar. I have a gut feeling that this was done intentionally (in the case of this video) because I feel like if it would naturally fade, it would be inequal and there would be spots that are brighter than others. And I mean, I might be mistaken, I am not an expert but if this is the only video you found with that much of the stripes faded, I dont think you should worry about it. Then again, maybe the guitar was neglected like for example, if it stayed in a place directly exposed to the sun, it just might have been affected by it too.
    Hm, that makes sense, I am quite new to guitar, so I don´t really know how a guitar looks with time. If I take good care of it, it should not really fade much?

Upvote 0

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    Hm, that makes sense, I am quite new to guitar, so I don´t really know how a guitar looks with time. If I take good care of it, it should not really fade much?
    Not at all I would say. It's all about maintenance. Treat the wood approprietly, keep it in a room with good temperature, don't over expose it to the sun and yeah dude, you should be good!

Upvote 0

Muz Malek

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Singapore
    www.instagram.com
    Thanks @Ed Seith for the mention!

So as per comment, this only applies to those with the gold stripes(black and white).

1 - I've had friends who actually already owned the White with gold stripes(from self-titled era, 2008-ish), and their gold stripes have faded color. The stripes are still there, it's just discolored.

2 - I have friends with the black with gold stripes(HTTK era, 2013-ish), and after about 2 to 3 years, the gold stripes gradually faded(inwards).

3 - Any other Syn models with other stripes colors like black, silver and red were not affected even after 5, 6, 7 years and so on. EXCEPTION: The ones with silver pinstripes will discolor(it turns yellow-ish) over time, but it won't fade.

I have no explanation as to why this happens, maybe only Schecter can justify this. I've made comparisons between those who have the various colors around the same time, and they've all proven as what I've mentioned in the above.

While personal maintenance plays a part(helping to extend the stripes life), this might have got to do with whatever they used on the gold stripes in specific since as I've mentioned in #3, the models with other stripes color are still good as new.

I'm not sure if the revised models(those from 2016 onwards) are affected. If you have a friend who has the black/white with gold stripes since The Stage era that's loaded with the Syn USA Schecter pickups, give them a holla and check how's the condition.

Cheers!

Reactions: Ed Seith
    Upvote 0

Muz Malek

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Singapore
    www.instagram.com
    From my own personal group of friends, only those with the gold stripes are affected. Anything else with red, black or silver pin stripes are still good as new, not even an inch of fading. Exception that the silver pin stripes discolor over time(turns yellow-ish)

Last edited:
    Reactions: Rad Synner
    Upvote 0

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    From my own personal group of friends, only those with the gold stripes are affected. Anything else with red, black or silver pin stripes are still good as new, not even an inch of fading. Exception that the silver pin stripes discolor over time(turns yellow-ish)
    Yeah I have one black with silver stripes and those stripes have turned yellowish (Nothing too bad imo) but I think that they are due to sun exposition. Now, I have to say I am surprised but I think, and I am purely theorizing here, I am no expert, that it might be due to the gold and black color choice exposed to the sun. I mean, black by nature attracts the sun and so it might then have an effect on the gold stripes because of that attraction?

I mean, I am theorizing this because you mention that the white and gold model doesn't have that issue and yet it has probably the same specsand woods. So the only difference is the color and white does NOT attract the sun.

Same principle goes with the black and silver model... which then leaves the black and red and knowing that the color red attracts the least heat after white... that probably gives it extra protection... at least, that's what I theorized

Then again, I may be completely wrong and completely missing something, I am by far no expert in these sort of things. Please someone correct me if im wrong.

Reactions: Ed Seith
    Upvote 0

Sento

New Student
    Jun 4, 2021
    Here in Germany, I can only buy the Black with silver stripes, the black with gold and the sunburst.
    Others I could only import with taxes etc.

I would only keep it in my bag/ case, unless I play it, even though it is a bit of a shame to not hang it on the wall.

I am still not sure which color to get. I really like the black and gold, but it might be a bit too much (too fancy etc), and if it would fade it would be kinda sad.

So afterall, the black and gold and black and silver might fade/ change color?

Upvote 0

Muz Malek

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Singapore
    www.instagram.com
    Here in Germany, I can only buy the Black with silver stripes, the black with gold and the sunburst.
    Others I could only import with taxes etc.

I would only keep it in my bag/ case, unless I play it, even though it is a bit of a shame to not hang it on the wall.

I am still not sure which color to get. I really like the black and gold, but it might be a bit too much (too fancy etc), and if it would fade it would be kinda sad.

So afterall, the black and gold and black and silver might fade/ change color?
    Hahaha i feel you man.

I've always loved guitars with gold hardware. When Syn released the HTTK black with gold stripes, i was very close to getting it but personally felt the gold stripes were a touch too much.

Lo and behold - the Dark Night. My dream guitar came true.

Upvote 0

Muz Malek

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Singapore
    www.instagram.com
    I have an older Synyster custom S with the fedora skull on the headstock. Got it around 2014? Regardless, other than regular wear, it has absolutely no discolouration 👍🏻
    Do you regular bring it out for gigs & stuff? It kinda depends on how heavily you use it too on a daily basis - be it home setting or gig setting.

Upvote 0

Muz Malek

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Singapore
    www.instagram.com
    Yeah I have one black with silver stripes and those stripes have turned yellowish (Nothing too bad imo) but I think that they are due to sun exposition. Now, I have to say I am surprised but I think, and I am purely theorizing here, I am no expert, that it might be due to the gold and black color choice exposed to the sun. I mean, black by nature attracts the sun and so it might then have an effect on the gold stripes because of that attraction?

I mean, I am theorizing this because you mention that the white and gold model doesn't have that issue and yet it has probably the same specsand woods. So the only difference is the color and white does NOT attract the sun.

Same principle goes with the black and silver model... which then leaves the black and red and knowing that the color red attracts the least heat after white... that probably gives it extra protection... at least, that's what I theorized

Then again, I may be completely wrong and completely missing something, I am by far no expert in these sort of things. Please someone correct me if im wrong.
    It kinda makes sense, at least to us normal people ahahah xD

Oh, and I think you missed out that I said any model with the gold stripes were affected. Not just black/gold. The white/gold too xD

Upvote 0