• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Whammy Bar for Les Paul

Zesty Rage

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Sep 27, 2020
    Michigan City, IN
    I'm trying to add a tremelo system (whammy bar) to my Epiphone Les Paul without having to drill into my guitar. I've looked into a Floyd Rose or a Stetsbar but I'm not sure what to look for. Heres a pic of my Les Paul if it'll help.
    20200903_165655.jpg

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    You could get a Floyd Rose FRX, it just mounts on your existing bridge spots! No routing required.
    View attachment 1226

"All the trouble of a Floyd Rose with none of the benefits!"

Seriously, though, that is kind of interesting. I'm going to see if I can find a look at other angles of that.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Well, like all things, it's a compromise. Based on what I'm reading, it doesn't have the range of motion of a traditional floyd, and it might be hard to get the action right on an archtop guitar, like a Les Paul. I still think a Bigsby might be a safer option, but I'd certainly be interested in playing with one of these to see how it is. Not sure I'd take the chance on my baby.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Zesty Rage

• Sep 27, 2020
    Michigan City, IN
    Well, like all things, it's a compromise. Based on what I'm reading, it doesn't have the range of motion of a traditional floyd, and it might be hard to get the action right on an archtop guitar, like a Les Paul. I still think a Bigsby might be a safer option, but I'd certainly be interested in playing with one of these to see how it is. Not sure I'd take the chance on my baby.
    At this point I'm thinking about getting a guitar with a whammy bar already attached. I'm trying to add more of a metal sound to my playing with some new tricks I learned and I'm not sure if I could apply those same whammy bar tricks to a Bigsby. Or could I?

Zesty Rage

• Sep 27, 2020
    Michigan City, IN
    This guitar is pretty special to me so its not a risk I want to take either 😂

Ryan Vega

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    Florida
    nearlyspent.bandzoogle.com
    I'm trying to add a tremelo system (whammy bar) to my Epiphone Les Paul without having to drill into my guitar. I've looked into a Floyd Rose or a Stetsbar but I'm not sure what to look for. Heres a pic of my Les Paul if it'll help. View attachment 1223
    you can't man unfortunately the closest you'd get without drilling into front and adding a floating bridge is one of those B-bender things look it up on youtube but even then unless you're confident and able, you'll have to have a luthier do work to the back to install it