• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

What do all these knobs do!!!

megalizzie

Local Dive Bar Favorite
Legend
  • Nov 11, 2021
    Virginia
    Hi! I just got a new-to-me electric guitar from my brother (yay!) and I got a Blackstar amp. I’m really pleased to have them, but I don’t really know what all the settings do. Can anyone explain like I’m five?

I’ve attached some photos.

I can make it sound more distorted if I press the button between gain and volume, and I tried the delay function (fun!).

I don’t know what the knobs on the guitar do other than volume, and I don’t know about the Gain or Equalisation knobs on the amp.

thanks in advance for any info you’ve got 🤗

BE25FCF8-01E2-4829-A7F3-F40E3875DD00.jpeg

41D097E5-5931-4247-84CF-52A1BBAA7143.jpeg

39D036AC-2116-4529-BB25-9FAB58845CE1.jpeg

BC422446-9807-4488-8CA1-56B329A6F0BE.jpeg

Jeremy Healey

Hot Topic Tourer
    Legend+
    Legend
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Newfoundland and Labrador
    9E4AA051-B212-4EAF-AEFB-7B440BB1634C.jpeg

Best way to describe is with a picture! Basically, there are 2 knobs to a pickup which controls volume and tone! And the selector switch selects which pickup you want to use, or both at the same time.
    All these settings are just to get different tones from the guitar.
    Now this is from what to know, if I’m wrong or if someone has a better explanation feel free to chime in 😅

megalizzie

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Legend
  • Nov 11, 2021
    Virginia
    I'll leave the technical answers to my fellow synners that know way more than me, but I just wanted to say congratulations on the new gear 😍😍
    Thanks girl!!!!
    View attachment 2220
    Best way to describe is with a picture! Basically, there are 2 knobs to a pickup which controls volume and tone! And the selector switch selects which pickup you want to use, or both at the same time.
    Now this is from what to know, if I’m wrong or if someone has a better explanation feel free to chime in 😅
    Wow you’re a wizard, this is great!! I’m gonna have to experiment with it when I get done with work!!! Thank you!!!

Gabby Heafy

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Apr 5, 2020
    www.instagram.com
    Hi! I just got a new-to-me electric guitar from my brother (yay!) and I got a Blackstar amp. I’m really pleased to have them, but I don’t really know what all the settings do. Can anyone explain like I’m five?

I’ve attached some photos.

I can make it sound more distorted if I press the button between gain and volume, and I tried the delay function (fun!).

I don’t know what the knobs on the guitar do other than volume, and I don’t know about the Gain or Equalisation knobs on the amp.

thanks in advance for any info you’ve got 🤗

View attachment 2217
    View attachment 2218

View attachment 2215
    View attachment 2219
    i loved it!!! :love:

• Love
    Reactions: megalizzie

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Jeremy is correct. With the 3-way switch up, you are using the NECK pickup. With it down, the BRIDGE pickup (for metal chuggs), and in the middle, a mix of both.

In a single-cut guitar like this, each pickup has its own volume and tone.

On the amp:

GAIN: distortion, overdrive or crunch. Higher number meanz more metulz. The black button marked "OD" turns the higher gain on and off (off would be a clean tone channel)

VOLUME: self-explanatory

TONE: A very basic frequency sweep that boosts or cuts certain frequencies. High number means a more treble-y tone.

ISF: A more subtle tone sweep specific to Blackstar amps.

DELAY: Echo time delay (with on/off)

Start out with your GAIN, TONE, and ISF at 5/10 or 12 o'clock. Set volume to your comfort level and the delay maybe on that 9 0'clock setting.

Play. Adjust everything but the volume all the way up, play, and then all the way down, and play. This will give you a feel for what each does before you try to find your happy place. Might be easier to leave the delay OFF until you tweak the gain and EQ to taste.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

megalizzie

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Legend
  • Nov 11, 2021
    Virginia
    Jeremy is correct. With the 3-way switch up, you are using the NECK pickup. With it down, the BRIDGE pickup (for metal chuggs), and in the middle, a mix of both.

In a single-cut guitar like this, each pickup has its own volume and tone.

On the amp:

GAIN: distortion, overdrive or crunch. Higher number meanz more metulz. The black button marked "OD" turns the higher gain on and off (off would be a clean tone channel)

VOLUME: self-explanatory

TONE: A very basic frequency sweep that boosts or cuts certain frequencies. High number means a more treble-y tone.

ISF: A more subtle tone sweep specific to Blackstar amps.

DELAY: Echo time delay (with on/off)

Start out with your GAIN, TONE, and ISF at 5/10 or 12 o'clock. Set volume to your comfort level and the delay maybe on that 9 0'clock setting.

Play. Adjust everything but the volume all the way up, play, and then all the way down, and play. This will give you a feel for what each does before you try to find your happy place. Might be easier to leave the delay OFF until you tweak the gain and EQ to taste.
    Damn dude this is killer, thank you so much for your help! Off I go to practice!!

Mauro FILHO

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Nov 11, 2019
    View attachment 2220
    Well, that's all said in the picture. That guitar has two Hambuckers, it means i high output signal. In your amp, you will see a difference if you plug a fender with sigle-coils, for instance. It's a matter of taste. Enjoy

Reactions: megalizzie