• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

What do you enjoy playing?

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
I'm starting to be a bit curious what kind of things you like to play when you grab a guitar so figured I'd make this forum topic.

As most of you know I personally enjoy playing gypsy jazz, John mayer type stuff, Blues and A7x stuff. Lately I've also been really getting into playing SRV and Jimi Hendrix type stuff because it's just great fun. I mean this is just a really high energy fast blues which is frigging awesome

Jesse Salmons

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
Nov 11, 2019
Indiana
Hendrix, and the blues in general has always been in the core of my playing. No matter how much i shred, how much heavy riffs i play, i always come back to blues for fun and emotion. Hendrix, Srv, Jimmy page, are only a few of the incredible artists i try to emulate.

Reactions: idssdi

Kat the metalhead

Music Theory Bragger
  • Jan 20, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    Within my first year of playing guitar my go to stuff was punk so like blink 182, green day and ramones but as I got older and played for a few years I got big into nu metal which I’d say at the moment is my main genre I play. My go to for years has always been system of a down! I find their songs so simple and fun to play! When I pick up a guitar at a music store or at home I’m most likely gonna start with chop suey or aerials :ROFLMAO:

I most definitely wanna try other genres of playing at some point but I’m too busy at the moment learning the bat country solo

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    I've been writing and remixing songs I already finished because I realized thanks to Radu that I could turn the volume up on areas. I'm also testing new tones. Lately it's been a heavier vibe but I try to add blues in between them. Im trying to make more complex progressions.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    You can! Just gotta play a lot of stuff, learn solos from other guitarists, you'll eventually learn to develop some style on your own :)
    Realistically you aren't even thinking that fast. You learn the position and then you just tell yourself "so and so scale im so and so position"and the rest is muscle memory and repetition.

Muz Malek

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Singapore
    www.instagram.com
    Yeah I was always intimidated by them still am. When I sometimes practice the "Seize The Day" solo I learned it feels really nice.
    If you wanna do what they do, you gotta put yourself there with them, as them. Intimidation is a wall that you build, and if you keep allowing yourself to do so, you're gonna build so many walls, you're eventually not gonna be able to progress :)

Don't be shy to learn a simple Green Day solo, don't be afraid to learn a seemingly difficult solo. Guitar, just like any other instrument, is just a matter of trying, note per note, till you reach the target :)

Cheers!

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Lately I've been enjoying just jamming and coming up with cool licks and melodies. I'll usually start by practicing something I already know and try to make it my own. From there I just come up with little melodic nuances and ideas.
    Awesome, Will we see any of those licks and melodies in the riff section anytime soon?

Reactions: Daniel Sobota

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    I like playing rhythms and distortion. I think that's my thing. I like solo stuff too but I don't think I can think that fast.
    Awesome! Playing rhythm is probably more important than being able to solo really. As for the fast stuff, You don't really think while playing fast it's entirely muscle memory. When I improv and go fast it's more a matter of this is my starting point and that's where I want to go and I think beforehand what my route is to get there so I can entirely rely on muscle memory.

Reactions: William B.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Within my first year of playing guitar my go to stuff was punk so like blink 182, green day and ramones but as I got older and played for a few years I got big into nu metal which I’d say at the moment is my main genre I play. My go to for years has always been system of a down! I find their songs so simple and fun to play! When I pick up a guitar at a music store or at home I’m most likely gonna start with chop suey or aerials :ROFLMAO:

I most definitely wanna try other genres of playing at some point but I’m too busy at the moment learning the bat country solo
    Ooh punk always sounds like a lot of fun. I also really like the party song by SOAD but besides that not super familiar with them.

Reactions: Kat the metalhead

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Hendrix, and the blues in general has always been in the core of my playing. No matter how much i shred, how much heavy riffs i play, i always come back to blues for fun and emotion. Hendrix, Srv, Jimmy page, are only a few of the incredible artists i try to emulate.
    I see you got yourself indulged in the good stuff, Love all of those players!

Reactions: Jesse Salmons

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    When warming up I usually Play some Riffs of the latest Songs I learned or maybe some Metallica.
    Then, especially in the evening when watching TV, I noodle around a bit and try to write Riffs and Songs. Pure Metal Most of the time, cause that's Just the most Natural to me still and I really Play for the fun of it right now

Jesse Salmons

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
    Nov 11, 2019
    Indiana
    I see you got yourself indulged in the good stuff, Love all of those players!
    Yeah man, some of my earliest guitar memories are sitting by my old boombox with a hendrix CD just trying to play along with purple haze, hey joe, red house, blues has always came natural to me. Hey Joe’s solo still gives me chills!

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    When warming up I usually Play some Riffs of the latest Songs I learned or maybe some Metallica.
    Then, especially in the evening when watching TV, I noodle around a bit and try to write Riffs and Songs. Pure Metal Most of the time, cause that's Just the most Natural to me still and I really Play for the fun of it right now
    I do genuinely believe that the best art is created when you play for the fun of it it because usually that means your heart is in it and you're not as fixed on the outcome so absolutely nothing wrong with playing for the fun of it!

Reactions: Dominik Gräber

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Yeah man, some of my earliest guitar memories are sitting by my old boombox with a hendrix CD just trying to play along with purple haze, hey joe, red house, blues has always came natural to me. Hey Joe’s solo still gives me chills!
    Hendrix is a beast. I'm personally more of a fan of SRV or John Mayer but their stuff is so much fun to play!